Are we nothing but a bunch of airplane geeks?

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
Someone mentioned "airplane geeks" on another thread, I started wondering about that. When I was a kid, I never made model airplanes other than the folded paper kind. I never had any overwhelming interest in airplanes. I was interested in many things such as I had a great model train layout I built. I had a chemistry lab in the basement that I assembled from tons of stuff my next door neighbor gave me. I had a fascinating radio set up another neighbor gave me, but no airplane stuff.

Then when I finally did become interested in airplanes, I was over 60 years old. Now when I see a kid flying a model, I usually stop to watch awhile. I still have no desire to make a model airplane, but I am fascinated with the darn things and love watching others operate theirs, even if it's tossing a paper one.

I'll spend hours watching the pelicans flying their amazing formations along the shore, or watching the seagulls work the wind currents and the lift of the cliffs. If I hear an airplane, I now always look up to try and see it, no matter how high or how small it sounds.

I'm an airplane geek, or perhaps a flight geek, I guess.

John

As with many things the truth may be in not how you think of yourself, but how others think of you! :hairraise:

I don't consider myself an airplane geek and (not counting my time on POA :wink2: ) I don't spend an inordinate amount of time on the activity IMO.

But my friends and coworkers - and most definitely my wife - may have a different opinion.

I didn't build model airplanes, I wrote a book on paper airplanes. Yeah, me geek, and damn proud of it.

Built model airplanes (recently just started again), used to draw them in the more boring classes in school, and was encouraged and quizzed by my father as to what type of aircraft was overhead, or what was at the gates. Definitely a geek, but I got to crawl around the An-225 because I was geek when Children of Chernobyl Relief was using it to raise money. I wouldn't trade my geek-ness for anything.

I would show local kids how to make simple paper airplanes and have competitions on who can make theirs fly the longest. These are so simple, just fold the paper and cut a wing like a hang glider or B-2, then shape the paper like an airfoil, add a little tape on the nose for weight/balance, and launch! Some can be quite efficient!

I guess I'm an airplane geek...

In real life, I'm very little airplane (unless you ask my boyfriend, then he'll say that is all I talk about). Sure, some vendors / clients / coworkers know I'm a pilot and call me an airline captain as a joke, but not even half of them know. One guy in Kentucky who used to work for ATC called me on the main line here pretending to be the FAA, scared the heck out of me - he had a "Bravo airspace near SFO violation" holy cow what a laugh we had.

I do lots of things people seem to think out of the ordinary, they can label me however they want. I'm just trying to have lots of (clean) fun while I'm here.

I cannot recall being bored, whilst having my clean fun. To each their own!

Sorry I never know what "clean" means. Scary thoughts of bibles and religion and turtle necks. For example, "clean" comics are never as funny as the "normal" ones.

But if "clean fun" is having a beer in the man cave (hangar) with other pilots after a long flight and discussing aviation then yes I like clean fun.

Been an airplane geek for as long as I can remember. I can't think of a time that I wasn't:D
Didn't get lessons until I was 33, but everyone that knows me knows...aviation is practically all I talk about. I think flying occupies about 90% of what I think of from the time I wake til the time I go to sleep:lol:

I'm more a space geek than an airplane geek.

I'm not sure I can define clean, but I know the other when I see it!

Well, I'll try anyway:
Clean:

Hiking! Boating! River-rafting! Skydiving! Skiing! Wildlife watching/photographing.
Gaston's! Oshkosh! XCs, training, putting around! Heck, almost anything with aircraft!
BBQing, esp with pilots! Yes, beer - or any libation in moderation!
POAing! Making stuff, fixing things! Any time spent with spouse!
The list is endless; all 'clean'!

I'm not sure I can define clean, but I know the other when I see it!

Well, I'll try anyway:
Clean:

Hiking! Boating! River-rafting! Skydiving! Skiing! Wildlife watching/photographing.
Gaston's! Oshkosh! XCs, training, putting around! Heck, almost anything with aircraft!
BBQing, esp with pilots! Yes, beer - or any libation in moderation!
POAing! Making stuff, fixing things! Any time spent with spouse!
The list is endless; all 'clean'!

OK then I'm clean too. Now I wonder what dirty is.

Yes. If you are reading/posting on a pilot forum it qualifies you as a airplane geek. Everyone here is in denial if you are reading this and think otherwise. I for one am damn proud to be an airplane geek.

Are we nothing but? I think in addition to airplane geeks most most people on here have other interests as well. Motorcycles, traveling, scuba, golf, hiking, drinking, cooking, etc. Id be interested to hear what other forums people read/post on a daily basis outside of aviation.

My wife would be the first to say I'm a geek, and our son is worse. :D But, I'm an engineer and it comes with the territory.

Got my first model airplane for my 6th birthday. I built so many growing up that it was a regular airshow hanging from the basement ceiling. There are a very few of them left. Mostly 1/32 scale. Had a bunch of 1/48 and 1/72 back in the day, too. Monogram had a great set of WWII aircraft models, US, Japanese, German and British in 1/48. Probably built them all. Then we discovered Airfix. What a selection of obscure planes.

Now I fly full scale planes. Great fun.

My obsession with airplanes and aviation in general is probably past the point of being unhealthy. It's really bad, actually. I think about it most of the time. It has been this way my entire life.

My CFI drove me around the ramp at SNA once, not believing that I knew more aircraft types than he did. I did. I actually only missed two....oddly enough one of them was a C207. Never again!

Back