Are we healthier?

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Are we healthier or worst off now?

Yes it could be a poll but didn't go that route.

My husbands grandpa and wife sat out in the sun for HOURS as youngsters and on his death bed I saw his feet. They were purple/blueish. I was :eek: and asked my husband what happened? He said "they sat out alot as kids" I make a point to go to doctors (Dermatologist for an annual skin test I went to the dermatologist for my annual skin test (the doctor checks for suspicious moles and whatnot - last year she found one and it was fine) I recommend if you have health insurance schedule yours today!! It is usually 100% covered as preventative maintenance.) but I'm female and I guess we don't mind going as much as guys. I feel like with all this preventative maintenance I should live to be 100 right? Or is the other stuff in the world (flying/fast food/faster cars) going to kill me just as fast?

Better question than you know. First, are we healthier than people were 100 years ago? Of course! In the previous century transmissible diseases like malaria and polio were endemic in the US, as were nutritional disorders like pellagra and beri beri. Poor people were often malnourished and infant mortality was still quite high. There honestly wasn't that much good about "the good old days".

Are we healthier than we were 25 years ago? Not entirely certain. Fewer people smoking, so tobacco related illnesses have dropped off some (though I suspect tobacco use is on the rise in young people). But the availability of calories has made obesity a nationwide epidemic, and health consequences of that are just as bad as malnutrition. And a good sized chunk of the population has until recently been disenfranchised from our system of medical care.

So not entirely certain am I.

In my opinion, stress kills. Everything else is insignificant by comparison.

Go to Italy and walk around for a while. Notice how many old people there are and how relatively healthy they look. I remember an elderly Italian man -- probably in his 80's -- sitting at a folding table in front of his house in a little town outside Naples, playing briscola against an equally old friend. He was eating a veal parmigiana sandwich, drinking red wine out of the bottle, and smoking a cigarette. His father was watching him from the upstairs window.

And my immigrant grandmother, may she rest in peace, ate what she wanted, drank what she wanted, couldn't spell "cholesterol" in either language, and outlived at least three of her doctors. Her diet would give a cardiologist nightmares, and she drank a bottle of red wine every day. She lived well into her 80's and was fully alert, aware, and able to take care of herself until the end.

But Nonna died comparatively young, now that I think about it. My Aunt Genny died at the age of 102, living the same lifestyle.

On the other hand, I have lost friends my own age, born in this country, who dropped dead on their treadmills despite their faithful adherence to not only their exercise regimes, but also their diets of bean sprouts over tofu burgers (all organic, of course) and free-range carrot juice. Go figger.

The problem, in my opinion, is that you can eat all the right things, drink all the right things, and do all the right things; but none of it will mean a blessed thing if you're going to ruin it all by stressing out. And stressing out is pretty much a way life here in the U.S.

That's my opinion, anyway.

-Rich

Last edited:
Given that longevity has had an increasing trend to this point, I would say yes by definition.

Careful. Longevity is a (severely) lagging indicator. It tells you how healthy people were a few generations before you, not now.

Healthier? I don't know. We certainly live longer than before, but it seems to me that's mainly because we have medical technology to keep a lot of things from killing us that would have killed us before. We see a lot more cancer, it seems, but I wonder how much of that is due to the fact that so many more people make it to the age where cancer can kill them - instead of some childhood disease or a farm or factory accident.

We've certainly gotten fatter, though, and stocked well up on chemical compounds. I'm trying to reverse that now. I have seen the effects of aging on my parents and the one grandparent who survived past my early childhood, and have vowed to do better. I fully expect to live well into my 90s, and don't want to be miserable doing so.

Depends on how you define healthier. We as a population certainly live longer, but as someone has pointed out this is a measure of how long people are living from the generation that is currently dying of old age. These are people who grew up when smoking was considered okay, drinking, eating red meat, and all sorts of things we now know are bad were common place. That being said, a lot of people are still alive today not because of better or healthier living, but because we have better ways of diagnosing and treating illnesses and conditions that 20 years ago were fatal. We also have ways of diagnosing illnesses and conditions earlier as well that we did not have 20 years ago.

So, we may be living longer, but I am not sure we are healthier. When my grandparents died(1968, 1978, 1986, and 1994) they were in the late 70's, 80' or 90's. Only one was in a nursing home and she had suffered from severe depression for years after her husband died in 1968, and developed dementia in the early 90's when she was already over 90 years old. As with most of the people of their generation, none of them were on a multitude of medications, none of them had cardiac stents, none of them had pacemakers, none of them had undergone treatment for cancer. Two of them were smokers. My grandmothers were anything but healthy conscience cooks. So I would submit they were healthier than many of the people alive today who are living because of advances in medical science. I live and work in one of the areas of the country that is rated number one or two in the country for having the highest aged population. Rarely are any of these people living in the style of my grandparents, or people of their generation in the sense of medications and multiple medical procedures.

So I think yes we are living longer, but I do not think we are healthier, just better preserved.

Doug

Are we healthier or worst off now?

Yes it could be a poll but didn't go that route.

My husbands grandpa and wife sat out in the sun for HOURS as youngsters and on his death bed I saw his feet. They were purple/blueish. I was :eek: and asked my husband what happened? He said "they sat out alot as kids" I make a point to go to doctors (Dermatologist for an annual skin test I went to the dermatologist for my annual skin test (the doctor checks for suspicious moles and whatnot - last year she found one and it was fine) I recommend if you have health insurance schedule yours today!! It is usually 100% covered as preventative maintenance.) but I'm female and I guess we don't mind going as much as guys. I feel like with all this preventative maintenance I should live to be 100 right? Or is the other stuff in the world (flying/fast food/faster cars) going to kill me just as fast?

Well with all this modern medicine, alot of folks over 40 or so have a small bag of pills they take for all sorts of stuff.

My grandmother, lived to almost 100, her passing wasn't even disease related, she took no medications, wasnt overweight, and worked her gardens everyday, digging, planting, lifting, etc.

My family only goes to the doc for something under DCAPBTLS, i.e. if it aint broke, bleeding, etc I dont bother, aside from re-upping my medical.

I believe we are worse then before, people are lazy and stupid, why exercise or parent your children when there a pill for that!

This is the time of "got a problem" there's a pill or app for that!

Want to see the future watch Idiocracy www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/ It's funny but really also sadly true!

Well with all this modern medicine, alot of folks over 40 or so have a small bag of pills they take for all sorts of stuff.

Most of those people would have perished from stroke or infarction before they every hit 60.

My grandmother, lived to almost 100, her passing wasn't even disease related, she took no medications, wasnt overweight, and worked her gardens everyday, digging, planting, lifting, etc.

Your grandmother was a mutant. I'm not kidding.

My family only goes to the doc for something under DCAPBTLS, i.e. if it aint broke, bleeding, etc I dont bother, aside from re-upping my medical.

Neither do I, but lots of folks have inborn problems with their metabolism that need medication to prevent them from developing into full blown disease.

I believe we are worse then before, people are lazy and stupid, why exercise or parent your children when there a pill for that!

This is the time of "got a problem" there's a pill or app for that!

Our population is mostly sedentary. Add to that the ease and low expense of automotive transportation, and few people really get that much exercise. Since calories are cheap most get way too many of them. Our lifestyle sucks.

The problem, in my opinion, is that you can eat all the right things, drink all the right things, and do all the right things; but none of it will mean a blessed thing if you're going to ruin it all by stressing out. And stressing out is pretty much a way life here in the U.S.

That's my opinion, anyway.

So stop worrying about who has your cell phone number, and just don't answer it. :)

Really it's about 50% genetics that you can't do anything about and 50% other stuff like modern health care, diet, exercise, etc.

Based on family history I'm likely to be as healthy as I am now until I get either alzheimer's disease or cancer around age 75-80 and be dead by 90 regardless of my lifestyle.

Based on family history I'm likely to be as healthy as I am now until I get either alzheimer's disease or cancer around age 75-80 and be dead by 90 regardless of my lifestyle.

By my family history I'll either be dead of a heart attack before 60, or live to be well over 90. Two 100+ grandparents, one mid 90's and one dead at 60.

One Aunt dead of melanoma in her 40s. No other cancer deaths of unavoidable cancers, although the 90+ year old had lung cancer that was self-induced.

Pretty much Russian Roulette if you're going by my genetics.

I'm a ginger with lots of sun time, so I do the derm thing, have had a few innocent freckles chopped off. Recently a study came out saying us poor ginger bastards get skin cancer due to genetics moreso then exposure.
Someone nailed it with stress, no one wants to admit that one, stress is super bad. Low stress and or high autonomy are probably number one factors above other lifestyle choices.

I'm a ginger with lots of sun time, so I do the derm thing, have had a few innocent freckles chopped off. Recently a study came out saying us poor ginger bastards get skin cancer due to genetics moreso then exposure.

I wonder how much of the problem is due to an individuals lack of exposure to sunlight thus not building up any kind of natural defense against sunlight hazards. People nowadays often sit in their artificially lit house, ride in their car (windows up) to artificially lit buildings and seldom actually go outside in the sun for more than a few minutes a day.
Just a thought considering that people who sit indoors all day will sunburn very quickly while others who are outdoors all the time take hours to get sunburned. Are people who sunburn easily more likely to have problems than those who don't?

Stress. That'll do you in...and it's something society strives for in it's fast paced aggressive behavior.

So the teenager of the 21st century has clogged arteries that are stiff and full of plaque. Man I went into the wrong profession, I need to be a vascular surgeon!

Doug

They are very busy folks where I work. The price of av gas doesn't seem to bother them much either!
I don't think it's any secret that our children as a population are having health issues , weight, blood presure ,diabetes as well as drug and smoking related issues. I see far too many people much younger that me in Intensive Care Units for me not to believe that our collective health is not as good as it could be.
Living longer because one had triple by-pass does not mean healthier.
Needing and receiving new joints makes for better quality of life but carrying too much weight isn't good for the joints in the first place.
My wife and I are amazed at the number of people on antidepressants.
Just looking around ,making stuff up!

"Today, about one of three American kids and teens are overweight or obese, nearly triple the rate in 1963. Among children today, obesity is causing a broad range of health problems that previously weren’t seen until adulthood. These include high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and elevated blood cholesterol levels. There are also psychological effects. Obese children are more prone to low self-esteem, negative body image and depression.
However, there’s good news: Obesity can be stopped. And it doesn’t take high-tech treatments or cutting-edge medications. The solution begins and ends with the daily decisions we make. The American Heart Association is working to help kids and families live heart-healthy lives."

Last edited:
They are very busy folks where I work. The price of av gas doesn't seem to bother them much either!
I don't think it's any secret that our children as a population are having health issues , weight, blood presure ,diabetes as well as drug and smoking related issues. I see far too many people much younger that me in Intensive Care Units for me not to believe that our collective health is not as good as it could be.
Living longer because one had triple by-pass does not mean healthier.
Needing and receiving new joints makes for better quality of life but carrying too much weight isn't good for the joints in the first place.
My wife and I are amazed at the number of people on antidepressants.
Just looking around ,making stuff up!

"Today, about one of three American kids and teens are overweight or obese, nearly triple the rate in 1963. Among children today, obesity is causing a broad range of health problems that previously weren’t seen until adulthood. These include high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and elevated blood cholesterol levels. There are also psychological effects. Obese children are more prone to low self-esteem, negative body image and depression.
However, there’s good news: Obesity can be stopped. And it doesn’t take high-tech treatments or cutting-edge medications. The solution begins and ends with the daily decisions we make. The American Heart Association is working to help kids and families live heart-healthy lives."
See my post above about are we actually healthier today than before. With that being said many of the health problems you talk about were not even on the radar screen thirty or forty years ago. We were not doing carotid ultrasounds in the fifties, nor were we checking cholesterol levels. Since the 1980's the landscape of medicine has changed tremendously. Prior to this we had X-rays, EKG's, early ultrasound, nuclear medicine as the gold standard. CT scans were pretty primitive before about 1984 connecting the pixels and took about twenty minutes or more to do. Cholesterol was talked about in biochemistry, but was not treated nor measured. Since then the number of conditions we can screen for and treat has skyrocketed, as has the ways to diagnose them. This has more to do with physician based research than the American Heart Association or other such organizations. Most of the money from research comes from the government or the pharmaceutical companies.

Kids are overweight today because we live in a relatively sedentary society, with highly processed foods. Kids spend more time in front of the computer, and texting friends than they do exercising. When I was a kid we were outside running around til 10 pm every night, we were biking, and rarely watched tv unless it was raining and our antics were too loud for my parents.

As for younger people being in the ICU, I will have to do some research on that but the majority of younger people I see in the ICU are either because of drug related issues, or trauma. This has not changed much since the 80's. The number of younger people in the ICU for strokes, heart attacks, and other chronic conditions has probably not changed much. The number of people including younger people being treated for hypercholesterol, diabetes, hypertension, and the like is probably as much a factor of the advances in screening, and more and more strigent treatment guidelines than anything else.

Has all this emphasis on healthy living, and diet habits, and emphasis on treating conditions earlier and at more stringent levels? I do not know. The people in their 70's and 80's who pretty much will determine life expenctancy figures today grew up long before any of this emphasis on preventive medicine occurred. They were the teenagers of the 50's and they were smoking at much higher levels, and eating foods that today would definitely be considered unhealthy. The difference between them and the kids of today however was activity levels.

Doug

See my post above about are we actually healthier today than before. With that being said many of the health problems you talk about were not even on the radar screen thirty or forty years ago. We were not doing carotid ultrasounds in the fifties, nor were we checking cholesterol levels. Since the 1980's the landscape of medicine has changed tremendously. Prior to this we had X-rays, EKG's, early ultrasound, nuclear medicine as the gold standard. CT scans were pretty primitive before about 1984 connecting the pixels and took about twenty minutes or more to do. Cholesterol was talked about in biochemistry, but was not treated nor measured. Since then the number of conditions we can screen for and treat has skyrocketed, as has the ways to diagnose them. This has more to do with physician based research than the American Heart Association or other such organizations. Most of the money from research comes from the government or the pharmaceutical companies.

Kids are overweight today because we live in a relatively sedentary society, with highly processed foods. Kids spend more time in front of the computer, and texting friends than they do exercising. When I was a kid we were outside running around til 10 pm every night, we were biking, and rarely watched tv unless it was raining and our antics were too loud for my parents.

As for younger people being in the ICU, I will have to do some research on that but the majority of younger people I see in the ICU are either because of drug related issues, or trauma. This has not changed much since the 80's. The number of younger people in the ICU for strokes, heart attacks, and other chronic conditions has probably not changed much. The number of people including younger people being treated for hypercholesterol, diabetes, hypertension, and the like is probably as much a factor of the advances in screening, and more and more strigent treatment guidelines than anything else.

Has all this emphasis on healthy living, and diet habits, and emphasis on treating conditions earlier and at more stringent levels? I do not know. The people in their 70's and 80's who pretty much will determine life expenctancy figures today grew up long before any of this emphasis on preventive medicine occurred. They were the teenagers of the 50's and they were smoking at much higher levels, and eating foods that today would definitely be considered unhealthy. The difference between them and the kids of today however was activity levels.

Doug

I guess my mother wasn't so stupid, after all. She used to forcibly push me out the door on days when the weather was nice, with strict instructions not to come back home until until dinner time.

I feel bad for today's kids. Kept locked up inside like convicts for fear of bogeymen hiding behind every tree. Sad. Very sad.

-Rich

I guess my mother wasn't so stupid, after all. She used to forcibly push me out the door on days when the weather was nice, with strict instructions not to come back home until until dinner time.

I feel bad for today's kids. Kept locked up inside like convicts for fear of bogeymen hiding behind every tree. Sad. Very sad.

-Rich
That is true. I forgot how afraid parents are today of letting kids play in the neighborhood.

Doug

Part of it may be paranoia keeping them locked up inside. A large portion of it is the kids not wanting to go outside in the first place even if they are allowed to.

Houses are little more than plush voluntary prisons nowadays.

I find it amusing though that the safe neighborhoods are so scary dangerous to be outside even for an instant so everyone constantly locks the house doors and put prison bars on the windows and doors. The old dangerous neighborhoods like where I'm at right now, the kids are outside playing from morning until after dark and they all come home safe every evening without fail. I think it's because in the safe places, everyone is locked away from everyone else then they all listen to the news until they believe the nonsense about how the entire world is out to get them. In the supposedly dangerous places, everyone knows everyone to some extent and if you know who's around you, you're not afraid of them.
I'll take this neighborhood with the sound of gunfire on a weekly basis (mostly holiday firings into the air for the most part) over a safe gated patrolled community anyday.

Last edited:
Your grandmother was a mutant. I'm not kidding.

What can I say, my family genetics are the equivalent of German engineering

Neither do I, but lots of folks have inborn problems with their metabolism that need medication to prevent them from developing into full blown disease.

Let em die off, breading crap into the human race aint a good long term proposition

Our population is mostly sedentary. Add to that the ease and low expense of automotive transportation, and few people really get that much exercise. Since calories are cheap most get way too many of them. Our lifestyle sucks.

It's sick, personal I cant just sit, I need to do something, my entire family is the same way, I can look back in my family albums, no fat people. Those people who are happy sitting in their own filth playing video games, well there should die off IMHO, worlds over populated, why help the dregs :dunno:

This is actually a good discussion you guys. I love Hangar talk. :)

My mom kicked me out on nice days too! She just wanted to know which friend I was going to start with...and then come home when one streetlight comes on.

I was a bean pole when I was younger. I did not break 100 lbs until I was 15, and when I was in college wighed all of 120 lbs most of which was in my thighs. Rode a bicycle 50 to 75 miles every day. Now I weigh much more. My mom was pudgy when she was a younger as was my maternal and paternal grandmothers theie entire lives. Ny mom is 78 and my grandmothers live to 94 and 88 years of age. My paternal grandmother smoked cigarettes (probably 2 ppd), but was walking a few miles everyday if not more until the day she died. My father was always overweight until recently, and when he was in his teens, and is 80.

He owned a grocery store in NYC and I can be quite certain he did not eat healthy. My mom smoked 2 ppd until she developed emphysema a few years ago.

One other point, it is not only kids who are not as active as they used to be, we adults are also not as active as our ancestors were for the most part. I know a lot of us go to gyms, and run, etc, but I would submit that percentage wise are more sedentary than our ancestors.

Doug

What can I say, my family genetics are the equivalent of German engineering

Not so much, there is just a particular allele that seems to correlate with centenarians.

Let em die off, breading crap into the human race aint a good long term proposition

Actually, lots of these folks are the ones dreaming up all the new technology, which is very good for humanity in the long term.

It's sick, personal I cant just sit, I need to do something, my entire family is the same way, I can look back in my family albums, no fat people. Those people who are happy sitting in their own filth playing video games, well there should die off IMHO, worlds over populated, why help the dregs :dunno:

I once told my wonderful spouse that I have an infinite capacity for lassitude. I think that runs in my family, and yes, lots of fat people. Lots of smart people too, I'm proud to say. I seem to have kept my horizontal under control, and I'm very proud of my brother, who was always pudgy and is now not.

I've always wondered how much of your heath comes from heredity and how much is a result of lifestyle. Obviously you can improve your chances with a healthy lifestyle but that often doesn't seem to be the determining factor. I know people who have ailment after ailment starting at a fairly young age while others can live their whole lives without having any serious heath problems.

I've taken notice lately of a trend government and private researchers have taken in announcing various popular food supplements that they at one time or another espoused to make you healthier and perhaps prolong your life, as now being pretty much worthless for doing any of that. Their announcements always show that the testing was done not on your normal everyday buffoon, but on doctors themselves.

Due to the frequency of such announcements, I'm starting to wonder if the concern is more about governments financial condition rather than us oldsters health condition. The longer we live, the more it costs government.

Fish oil along with multi vitamins have now been proved to be worthless in prolonging life and maintaining health.

I'm not so sure about that.

-John

I've always wondered how much of your heath comes from heredity and how much is a result of lifestyle. Obviously you can improve your chances with a healthy lifestyle but that often doesn't seem to be the determining factor. I know people who have ailment after ailment starting at a fairly young age while others can live their whole lives without having any serious heath problems.

Lifestyle choices can and do influence how genes express themselves ... Effectively turning various switches on or off. So, certain aspects are within our control - that is, we're not necessarily doomed by our genes; we can make changes for the better, or worse.

Back