Gary Ward

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Challenger1
What do you think? TIA
IMG_2057.JPG

The center ring stands a bit proud on new gaskets and crushes once the exhaust is torqued down. I’ve never went looking for any information to see if they are reusable or not but I assume they are intended to be single use gaskets.

Whether they are intended to be reused or not, I’ve seen many mechanics successfully reuse them.

I would rather do it correctly the first time than have to disassemble to do it correctly lasted.

Thanks everyone.
I remove my exhaust about every 200 hrs to anti seize the slip joints which is about every 10 months. So I go through a lot gaskets.
I did reuse those gaskets once last year.
I would not call them cheap as they cost 12.50 each.

They almost still look good to me??

I thought they were "cheap" and ordered the solid copper ones by accident. They were 4 bucks each which is cheaper than 12 bucks each. But I was afraid to use them as my mechanic didn't think much of them. I would think for sure they are a one time gasket
So I ordered the 611 gasket an put new ones on this time. I am flying a 400+ hr motor and don't want to start eroding the exhaust flange on the cly heads. There was no evidence of leakage when I took them off and really wondered if they were designed to be re used a few times since they cost 3 times as much as solid copper?
This exhaust was on my old motor for about 400 hrs.
IMG_2071.JPG

Last edited:
Spruce has about every make in stock.
Yes Spruce has been a reliable supplier. I order on Monday morning and it get's delivered 48 hrs later about midday Weds most of the time. If it is in a mid west warehouse they get it to me in 48 hrs. I have received stuff the next day without asking for next day. Good company...imo.

It’s not worth an exhaust leak to me to reuse.

This is what I need to hear...I have agree more I think about.
No one said aircraft maintenance is cheap did they?
Yeah, it’s really not worth it to skimp on such a cheap item. Gaskets are disposable and not meant to be reused.

Buy new no-blow gaskets every time the flanges are loosened. And check your flange nuts as a preflight item. They tend to back off occasionally.

Exhaust Leaks WILL erode the Exhaust Port and may not be repairable.

Suggest whatever route you go that you verify no leakage .

Easily accomplished with no disassembly by pressurizing the exhaust with a

vacuum cleaner or leaf blower and soapy water. Assure it’s clean though.

And check your flange nuts as a preflight item.
A bit difficult depending on your cowling design, especially for the taper wing Piper’s with the clamshell cowls.

7EE0E54B-FEE9-4D58-BDFB-454B54C5AC72.jpeg Thank you Bell206 and Nordic Dave for posting such useful information. Helps so much.
I kinda suspected that they may be reusable in some people’s opinion (lycoming) I threw away another good set of 611 gaskets a while back, now I wished I would have saved them. Thanks so much for that lycoming link Bell206.
Nordic Dave you stack 2 of these copper ones? No you said stainless. Is that what the lycoming SB is saying? Can you stack 2 copper gaskets?

Makes sense to me 2 would be better than one. appreciate the knowledge you share, thanks.

Last edited:
20 hours a month and the cost you are worried about is $50?
200 hours at 8gph, 1600 gallons at $6 per gallon, $9600. If only fuel was still $6.

20 a month and the cost you are worried about is $50?
200 hours at 8gph, 1600 gallons at $6 per gallon, $9600. If only fuel was still $6.

Yup I know what you are saying...can’t disagree.
That does not include oil and wear and tear, insurance, hangar, etc.
Still I am cheap enough to reuse them once or twice, got to admit. I’d rather put the 50 bucks in my gas tank.

Back