are these aopa fly ins worth the headache?

PeeGee

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PG
there's one at COS in 3 weeks, I'm always down for pancakes, but is it worth slogging through the procedures and traffic to go for a couple hours? Driving isn't really an option.

I went to the one in Salinas CA and thoroughly enjoyed it. Rod Machado's session was a real hoot, and Marc Baker did a good job as well

I went to the one in Salinas CA and thoroughly enjoyed it. Rod Machado's session was a real hoot, and Marc Baker did a good job as well
not going to have time for those, it'll have to be a fly in early, eat, walk around, fly home, go to work kind of day.

they just posted the procedures today, they look alright, but they're a little vague on where the "designated runup areas" are.
COS as a facility can work some traffic so I have hopes that things will go well.

not going to have time for those, it'll have to be a fly in early, eat, walk around, fly home, go to work kind of day.

they just posted the procedures today, they look alright, but they're a little vague on where the "designated runup areas" are.
COS as a facility can work some traffic so I have hopes that things will go well.

As Class C, Ground will happily provide directions to runup areas. Or ask the FBOs.

If it's a short trip like the one next month in Tullahoma, I'm all over it. I imagine it'll be like landing at a mini OSH with everyone arriving at once.

As Class C, Ground will happily provide directions to runup areas. Or ask the FBOs.
I'm sure amid the other couple hundred GA planes buzzing around they'll be thrilled to give me progressive taxi instructions to if I ask!!

If you plan to go, please read the NOTAM and procedures. Showing up like it's business is usual is a great way to get facilities to say no to these things in the future.

If it's a short trip like the one next month in Tullahoma, I'm all over it. I imagine it'll be like landing at a mini OSH with everyone arriving at once.
$5 for pancakes, so $105 pancakes with gas :lol:
it's a 70NM hop, just too far to drive, not far enough to fly.

Last edited:
I went to the AOPA fly in at Chino, Ca and Salinas, Ca and found them to be very worthwhile and the procedures were not burdensome.
Salinas had some weather challenges that conflicted with the instructions that the tower easily resolved.
Rod Machado is always very thought provoking as were some of the other speakers.
I learn a lot from the other pilots and meet new friends.
It was not hard to find the line of people waiting to depart at either airport.

I'm sure amid the other couple hundred GA planes buzzing around they'll be thrilled to give me progressive taxi instructions to if I ask!!

If you plan to go, please read the NOTAM and procedures. Showing up like it's business is usual is a great way to get facilities to say no to these things in the future.

You're absolutely right, and I just downloaded the directions (and deleted my previous post).

On the other hand, 50+ pages of instructions? I had originally planned to drive (we have a booth) and this just confirmed it - no flying.

At least the Academy won't be flying and the hold is over the field and NOT the cadet area which is up the road a few miles to the west. Wonder who pulled strings on that?

You're absolutely right, and I just downloaded the directions (and deleted my previous post).

On the other hand, 50+ pages of instructions? I had originally planned to drive (we have a booth) and this just confirmed it - no flying.

At least the Academy won't be flying and the hold is over the field and NOT the cadet area which is up the road a few miles to the west. Wonder who pulled strings on that?

sorry, think I came off a little snippy. Didn't mean to.

the other base I'm drawing a blank on for a name is supposed to suspend operations as well for the weekend, it should make for a much safer airspace but I'm a little concerned about the "lets all hold here at VFR 8500'" idea.

I'm with you though, on the fence about if it's worth the stress or not. Them better be some amazing pancakes. As I said, COS approach is usually very talented.

Last edited:
I went to the last one in MN, although only for the last half of the afternoon because of work. If you like looking at some new planes and venders, then it may be fun. I don't know anyone who can afford a single for $340,000 so most of the displays are just a fantasy. I did read the fly-in procedures and because of the threat of thunderstorms I believe the planes flying in were greatly reduced, I estimated maybe 50 planes on the field.
I drove in, I live 5 miles away and parked at my hangar and walked 100 yards to the fly-in.

I went to the first one (San Marcos, Texas), thoroughly enjoyed it!

Getting in IFR was a bit of a challenge, lotta vectoring and holds waiting for our turn (and more than a few who tried to do the "pop-up" thing in weather that absolutely, positively, could not have been legal VMC where they were claiming to be), but well worth it.

Ditto on Rod Machado's commentary - always good fun.

I went to the AOPA fly in at Chino, Ca and Salinas, Ca and found them to be very worthwhile and the procedures were not burdensome.
Salinas had some weather challenges that conflicted with the instructions that the tower easily resolved.
Rod Machado is always very thought provoking as were some of the other speakers.
I learn a lot from the other pilots and meet new friends.
It was not hard to find the line of people waiting to depart at either airport.

I attended the Chino, Ca event. The morning marine layer kept the arrival rate down, but I was early enough for a quick pop up IFR clearance from SOCAL, a couple of vectors and on the sequence for the ILS. Afternoon departure was VFR and straight from tower to SOCAL for FF out of the valley.

Well worth the walk around, looking at airplanes, talking with vendors, breakfast or lunch. Safety seminars that count towards WINGS events. A chance to meet people that you only get to read their articles, without the crowds of Oshkosh.

Even if you only have a few hours, well worth the trip. Take another pilot or budding student pilot with you. I took a student pilot about ready for his PP check ride. Seeing how ATC works and his first time experiencing in cloud down the ILS was a huge benefit for him, plus I had a ready made cockpit assistant, CRM.

I went to the one in Brunswick, GA last year at SSI. It was fantastic. It's only an hour flight from where I'm based so it was a no brainer. Flew in in the morning. Saw all the planes, the displays, some of the sessions. and left that afternoon. Reminded me of a mini day long sun-n-fun for the locals. Loved it

I too attended the very first one last year in San Marcos, TX. The weather did not allow me to fly VFR so I just drove (yes, like a schmuck, dodging all the murderous minivan "drivers" on the hwy).
Flying in would have been a no-brainer since the weather deterred a lot of pilots.

All-in-all, it was worth it, I would say. Got to meet Rod Machado himself, took him by surprise with some feedback :) and saw a lot of cool airplanes.
Especially if you hook up with some local pilots, it is a lot of fun.

Went to Frederick last year. Good flight and I enjoyed seeing the activities there. It's no Oshkosh, it's not even an O, but if you're close by, drop in. Overall good.

I went to the one last year near Indy. I also volunteered on the flightline marshaling aircraft. I enjoyed the show and the presentations that I attended. I had hoped to go to the one in MN this year but had to cancel. I'd like to go to Tullahoma though I have yet to make any plans to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I plan to fly in just for entertainment purposes. I am actually based out of Meadow Lake, so it will be a short flight.

I have been to two of these so far and wasn't able to fly my plane to either one because of weather. I also tried to fly into the one in Minneapolis but the forecast looked pretty nasty. All in all, I really enjoyed the events.

It should be interesting to see how COS handles the traffic.

Carl

I plan to fly in just for entertainment purposes. I am actually based out of Meadow Lake, so it will be a short flight.

I have been to two of these so far and wasn't able to fly my plane to either one because of weather. I also tried to fly into the one in Minneapolis but the forecast looked pretty nasty. All in all, I really enjoyed the events.

It should be interesting to see how COS handles the traffic.

Carl
We'll, I'll give it a shot I guess.

Back