Are there too many NOTAMs?

I don't disagree the system is broken, but the system does indeed require one of the keywords.

NOTAMs must be properly formatted or they will be rejected. The NOTAM manager system a lot of airports use to issue NOTAMs uses prebuilt scenarios and drop down menus for 95% of all NOTAMs to ensure formatting. Trust me, I only issue about 500 NOTAMs a year, mostly field conditions in winter months.

Is this a new thing? Because I've seen plenty of mis-formatted NOTAMS. All the "pieces" were there, they just weren't correct.

Is this a new thing? Because I've seen plenty of mis-formatted NOTAMS. All the "pieces" were there, they just weren't correct.

The Digital NOTAM system has been around the last few years. Even if we use the "FreeForm" scenario to create a NOTAM from scratch, it still goes through review from the US NOTAM office, and will be edited or kicked back. I've seen NOTAMs edited because there was an extra space in it.

If you happen to see one, please share it. I'd love to see how someone is sneaking it past the "censors".

If I were flying pipeline patrol I would probably pay a lot of attention to obstruction Notams.

If I were flying pipeline patrol I would probably pay a lot of attention to obstruction Notams.

Why? Pipeline is flown during daylight hours. Is that out of service light going to keep you from looking out the window and seeing the tower? Will you take the time to figure out where each one of these obstruction NOTAMs actually are? Doubtful.

Back