Are there any medevac pilots on here by any chance?

Melissa2983298

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Melissa
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if there were any medevac pilots on here that might be willing to answer some questions for me!

I've always loved aviation, and have wanted a pilot career. However, I was never excited about the airlines mostly because of their schedules. I've been considering the fixed-wing, medevac route because I truly want to help people, and their schedules appeal to me! So I was just wondering if anyone would mind answering a few questions!

1) Is it possible to make a 'life-long career' as a medevac pilot?

2) Are you home every night?

3) Is the pay decent?

4) Lastly, what happens if you are supposed to work a 7am-7pm shift and a call comes in at 6:30pm for a two hour flight, so you don't get back until almost 10pm; do you get paid overtime for those hours or how does that work?

Thank you very much for all of your help and advice!

1) Is it possible to make a 'life-long career' as a medevac pilot?

Our company has quite a few folks who have been doing with the company for over 15 years, so I'd say yeah.

2) Are you home every night?

Yes

3) Is the pay decent?

I think so, own my house, my plane and have enough money to do the stuff I enjoy while having a dependent.

I also only work half a year, so if you're a entrepreneurial type you could easily start up your own little company or do side work, it's not needed for most, but a option if you're the type that likes to be busy.

4) Lastly, what happens if you are supposed to work a 7am-7pm shift and a call comes in at 6:30pm for a two hour flight, so you don't get back until almost 10pm; do you get paid overtime for those hours or how does that work?

OK.

So most work 12hr shifts at base, think of a fire house type arrangement, the FAA says we can't plan on over 14hrs of duty time, so if a call is going to take us over the 14hrs to complete and return to base, we turn it down and ask if they can wait for the oncoming pilot or kick it to another base

OR.. We can possibly complete one leg and have the oncoming pilot complete the rest of the flight, this has never happened to me or any of the other pilots I personally know however.

And YES, we are paid overtime for any hours going over our planned 12hr shift.

Our company has quite a few folks who have been doing with the company for over 15 years, so I'd say yeah.

Yes

I think so, own my house, my plane and have enough money to do the stuff I enjoy while having a dependent.

I also only work half a year, so if you're a entrepreneurial type you could easily start up your own little company or do side work, it's not needed for most, but a option if you're the type that likes to be busy.

OK.

So most work 12hr shifts at base, think of a fire house type arrangement, the FAA says we can't plan on over 14hrs of duty time, so if a call is going to take us over the 14hrs to complete and return to base, we turn it down and ask if they can wait for the oncoming pilot or kick it to another base

OR.. We can possibly complete one leg and have the oncoming pilot complete the rest of the flight, this has never happened to me or any of the other pilots I personally know however.

And YES, we are paid overtime for any hours going over our planned 12hr shift.

WOW! That's amazing! Thank you very much for all of the great information! That helps a lot! If you don't mind me asking, who do you fly for and where are you based? :)

Thank you very much again!

James pretty much said it all.

I just would add that flying air ambulance is a recession proof job. When the economy tanks, airplanes are the first to go. In the air ambulance business we are still flying because people still get sick and still get injured and need to be moved to a hospital that meets their need of care.

As far as making a career out of it, our pilot turnover is extremely low. We lost two out of 9 pilots in the 5 years I have been a partner.

As in any business, there are good companies and there are, ah... companies that do not treat their employees all that well. There is one company out in the southwest that promises starting at 72-80K per year. What they do not tell you up front is that is based on only 13 days off per quarter. Normally most companies offer 1 on 1 off, which translates to 7 on then 7 off. For our company those are hard days off so you can plan a vacation months in advance.

Most companies need at least 2000 hours total time and around 500 hours multi. Some companies want to see an ATP, but I don't know how that is working with the new ATP requirements. Of all the pilots I work with one has around 5000 hours, but the others are around 8 to 10,000 hours. A couple came from regional airlines, and 1 from a major airline. One pilot is retiring on 31 December. He will close his log books with 37 years of air ambulance flying.

I have found the air ambulance business to be very rewarding and demanding job. Sometimes it is hard to get out of my nice warm bed at 2am and go out in the cold to take a trip. Sometimes my wife put a nice hot meal on the table and the phone rings so off I go. But it makes me feel good to be a part of the team that helps others.

James pretty much said it all.

I just would add that flying air ambulance is a recession proof job. When the economy tanks, airplanes are the first to go. In the air ambulance business we are still flying because people still get sick and still get injured and need to be moved to a hospital that meets their need of care.

As far as making a career out of it, our pilot turnover is extremely low. We lost two out of 9 pilots in the 5 years I have been a partner.

As in any business, there are good companies and there are, ah... companies that do not treat their employees all that well. There is one company out in the southwest that promises starting at 72-80K per year. What they do not tell you up front is that is based on only 13 days off per quarter. Normally most companies offer 1 on 1 off, which translates to 7 on then 7 off. For our company those are hard days off so you can plan a vacation months in advance.

Most companies need at least 2000 hours total time and around 500 hours multi. Some companies want to see an ATP, but I don't know how that is working with the new ATP requirements. Of all the pilots I work with one has around 5000 hours, but the others are around 8 to 10,000 hours. A couple came from regional airlines, and 1 from a major airline. One pilot is retiring on 31 December. He will close his log books with 37 years of air ambulance flying.

I have found the air ambulance business to be very rewarding and demanding job. Sometimes it is hard to get out of my nice warm bed at 2am and go out in the cold to take a trip. Sometimes my wife put a nice hot meal on the table and the phone rings so off I go. But it makes me feel good to be a part of the team that helps others.

Thank you so much Billy! I really appreciate all of your insight! :) That's one of the reasons I was looking at medevac! I really enjoy helping people and really want to make a difference! I'm definitely trying to get up there in hours also! I still have a ways to go, but I'm getting there! ;) Thank you for all you do! It's truly an honor to speak with you!

There is a company in Kansas that has a first officer program if you are interested. The FOs are hired around 750 hours or so.

Not sure how they work their duty & rest times. Might want to be careful from a legal standpoint.
And I'm curious about James... 1/2 a year? You take six months off? What months?

Melissa, you said you like the schedule of air ambulance better.. Do you really know what the "schedule" is?

Not trying to put down this flying, I just want to lay down the truth. I looked into this at one point, and said no thank you.

There is a company in Kansas that has a first officer program if you are interested. The FOs are hired around 750 hours or so.

Wow! I'm definitely interested in that! Do you know the name by any chance? :) If not, I'll do some research! No problem at all! Do you know if there are any in the Michigan, Ohio, Indiana chance that have a first officer program at all? :)

Thanks again for all your help!

Not sure how they work their duty & rest times. Might want to be careful from a legal standpoint.
And I'm curious about James... 1/2 a year? You take six months off? What months?

Melissa, you said you like the schedule of air ambulance better.. Do you really know what the "schedule" is?

Not trying to put down this flying, I just want to lay down the truth. I looked into this at one point, and said no thank you.

Week on week off type of deal.

Rest times are 100% legit, you go over you have to get the mandatory rest before you can go back on duty, it's all tracked and we got plenty of tools to see where we stand as far as time goes.

I am sure James meant that he works 7 days on, 7 days off, which equals working 6 months out of the year. Some days ya fly, some days ya wait. So in reality you might be paid for just waiting around.

Duty and rest times are spelled out in Pt 135.

Week on week off type of deal.

Rest times are 100% legit, you go over you have to get the mandatory rest before you can go back on duty, it's all tracked and we got plenty of tools to see where we stand as far as time goes.

7 on 7 off is not working 1/2 a year. That's the BS our management tried to tell us. It's like if you get weekends off you only work 65% of the year?

I don't know your company, but many do not consider waiting by the phone as duty. Fact is, if you have to answer the phone it is not rest.

7 on 7 off is not working 1/2 a year. That's the BS our management tried to tell us. It's like if you get weekends off you only work 65% of the year?

I don't know your company, but many do not consider waiting by the phone as duty. Fact is, if you have to answer the phone it is not rest.

Uh, I don't wait by a phone.

When I leave the base I might as well be on another planet as far as my availability, my 12 off is my 12 off, and my days off are my days off, no phone required. I'm ether at the base or I'm not.

And I'd rather work one week on one week off than 6 months on and 6 months off. Same amount of days at work, same away from work, just depends on how you like to slice your pie. Works well for me, not saying it right for you

Last edited:
Uh, I don't wait by a phone.

When I leave the base I might as well be on another planet as far as my availability, my 12 off is my 12 off, and my days off are my days off, no phone required. I'm ether at the base or I'm not.

And I'd rather work one week on one week off than 6 months on and 6 months off. Same amount of days at work, same away from work, just depends on how you like to slice your pie. Works well for me, not saying it right for you

As I said, I wasn't sure about your company, but many don't outfits do not do the right thing with rest time.

About time off, you work all year and have 182 days off. A M-F job has roughly 130 days off with holidays and such. You get 40% more days off, but work 50% more hours (12 vs 8). My point is not to criticize your job, but rather point out its not much different than other jobs. To say you get 1/2 the year off is misleading.

As I said, I wasn't sure about your company, but many don't outfits do not do the right thing with rest time.

About time off, you work all year and have 182 days off. A M-F job has roughly 130 days off with holidays and such. You get 40% more days off, but work 50% more hours (12 vs 8). My point is not to criticize your job, but rather point out its not much different than other jobs. To say you get 1/2 the year off is misleading.

I have heard stores about some not so nice medevac places, I lucked out on that front.

As far as same as other work....
Well there are also days I show up to work, BBQ with my coworkers, shoot the chit about life, watch a move, go to sleep, wake up and go home.

Flying wise, we do very challenging flying, what we do matters and we do stuff others don't get to, I've blown through a few TFRs, odd when you're the only guy going through and no one gives you a number to copy lol

Ether way, it's what ever keeps you from going to "work" as long as you love what you do and make enough to do the other things you love too, you're golden. :wink2:

While I am not a medvac pilot. We have them stationed here. Just the other day this subject came up. Air-e-vac only hires pilots with 2000 hrs in type. I am sure others have this same restriction or something like it.

Tony

How does the pay and retirement benefits compare to 121? What kind of equipment is typical of fixed wing medevac?

Didn't specify FW or RW. FW is pretty much covered above so I've give you the RW side of the house.

1) Yes it's possible to make a career out of air ambulance. We have pilots who retire 20 yrs military and then do this for another 20 yrs. We have Vietnam dudes still flying with us. Its a job that has young pilots from low 2,000 hrs to pilots with 15,000 + hrs.

2) Yep, home every night but they're 12 hrs days / nights. 7 on and 7 off so yes, you're literally off 6 months out off the year. My week off is like a vacation.

3) Pay varies wildly depending on company and location. Average pay is in the 70s. You can approach 6 figures if you volunteer for overtime and live in an area that has an extra stipend for location. Overtime is abundant because we're always short pilots. I never volunteer because I like my week off. :)

4) You won't take a flight that takes you more than 14 hrs of shift. It'll screw up your 10 hr rest period if you do. We take flights over 12 hrs duty on occasion. Just did one last night. I worked 7pm to 730am. Flew back to base to a rising sun. Yes, you get time & half overtime pay. Double time for holiday pay.

Three primary reasons why I chose RW air ambulance. First, location, location, location. Plenty of RW jobs around the country. Pick an area you want to live and go there. My company alone offered me 7 different locations around the country. I picked an area where family was. Second, single pilot demanding modes of flight. You're not sitting in a dual pilot FW typing on an FMS and going from A to B. You're landing to some road intersection in the middle of the night. There's no weather reporting for a road intersection. It's not TERPd out for obstructions. You're scanning left and right looking through a green funnel (NVGs). You don't have someone sitting next to you backing you up on call outs. It's a completely different kind of flying compared to most FW jobs. Very hands on rapid decision making. Finally, the schedule is awesome. Home every night with no lay overs and 7 days / nights on is pretty easy. I could be watching TV all night or on the Internet (I'm at work now). Very little management interaction and very little paper work. I get paid to transport the patient. That's it. It's a job where I really don't mind going into work at the beginning of the week and I'm not praying for "Friday" to come around either. Not too many jobs you can say that about.

I'm not going to sit here and tell it's the best job in the world either. It's not for everyone. We have at least one pilot that washes out during 135 training. Usually have a few that quit early on once they get to their base. I know of pilots that are anti social and can't get along with their crew. I know of pilots who were fired within 2 weeks because they scared the crap out of their crew. Your crew will get you fired in a heart beat if they don't trust you. With an historically, somewhat high accident rate, can't say I blame them.

You'll also see things, at least on the SE helicopters that aren't pleasant. You have a patient's legs sitting 2 ft to your left. Vehicular injuries can do some devastating things to the human body. Be a professional. Realize these patients are in a condition they'd never thought they'd be in. They're going through the worst thing in their lives and you need to make the flight as smooth and expeditious as possible so they can recieve life saving treatment. Mortality is in your face on a daily basis and you will have those that pass while on board your aircraft. It happens. For those that can't handle the above emotionally, well they seek employment elsewhere.

Oh yeah, the people (nurse / paramedic) in the back of my aircraft are some of the best trained most talented people I've ever worked with.

Edit: I see you did say you were considering the FW route. Disregard. :D

Last edited:
Again, the six month off thing is completely bogus.

How does the pay and retirement benefits compare to 121? What kind of equipment is typical of fixed wing medevac?

Impossible to say. There is such a huge, wide variety in both fields that there is no way to answer.

Seriously, with a 12 hour duty day and 7 on 7 off they only work 3 months!:eek:

But I'll sure appreciate those "slackers" if I or anyone they know ever needs them! :yes: I've had the chance to work with some pilots in the medical field, and it is good to know the quality of people we have looking out for us.

Seriously, with a 12 hour duty day and 7 on 7 off they only work 3 months!:eek:

But I'll sure appreciate those "slackers" if I or anyone they know ever needs them! :yes: I've had the chance to work with some pilots in the medical field, and it is good to know the quality of people we have looking out for us.

Well if we're going that route, I only work 2.75 months out of the year, and have 9.25 off!

2000 hours/8760 hours in a year.

We're talking days off here, not hours, days. I just looked at my schedule for this year and I was scheduled with 182 days off. So roughly 6 months out of the year, I'm not at work.

Impossible to say. There is such a huge, wide variety in both fields that there is no way to answer.

Ok.

Didn't specify FW or RW. FW is pretty much covered above so I've give you the RW side of the house.

3) Pay varies wildly depending on company and location. Average pay is in the 70s.

Thank you. I hate when people are kryptic about salaries. As a gubmint worker who's always had his salary be a matter of public record, I've never understood that seemingly culturally-WASP aversion to speaking openly about compensation.

If RW work pays in the 70s, does FW aeromed work pay less in the aggregate? I've heard people describe it as time building work (ergo low paying), but the anecdotes here make it sound like turnover is low. A low turnover sub-six-figure job smells like mil/gov post-retirement work. Is that the case here?

Or is it more the case of it being like part 91 work, where tons of outfits have horrible work rules, and only a statistically insignificant number of outifts offer a career-worthy stopping point?

We're talking days off here, not hours, days. I just looked at my schedule for this year and I was scheduled with 182 days off. So roughly 6 months out of the year, I'm not at work.

But someone who gets weekends off, plus four weeks vacation, 10 sick days, and all holidays can say they get 140 off PLUS only works 8 hours per day can almost say the same thing. They are GAURANTEED to be home every night also.
See my point??

Now, if you want to measure the 7/7 schedule to an airline, I can do that also.

If it takes you all 12 months to work 6 months, you really don't get 6 months off.

If it takes you all 12 months to work 6 months, you really don't get 6 months off.

Exactly.... And I'm I guy who worked the 7/7 schedule for many years. It was management telling us we didn't need any more money because we only worked six months a year. It was a BS arguement then, and it's a BS arguement now.

Ok.

Thank you. I hate when people are kryptic about salaries. As a gubmint worker who's always had his salary be a matter of public record, I've never understood that seemingly culturally-WASP aversion to speaking openly about compensation.

If RW work pays in the 70s, does FW aeromed work pay less in the aggregate? I've heard people describe it as time building work (ergo low paying), but the anecdotes here make it sound like turnover is low. A low turnover sub-six-figure job smells like mil/gov post-retirement work. Is that the case here?

Or is it more the case of it being like part 91 work, where tons of outfits have horrible work rules, and only a statistically insignificant number of outifts offer a career-worthy stopping point?

I'd say FW guys like James generally get paid more than RW like me. Varies though. Seen Seneca single pilot EMS paying only 45K a year. Not sure about FW but RW overtime is abundant. They'll fly us anywhere in the country just to fill in for a couple of days.

I'd say on the RW side, yes, it is a prime military retirement job. Its not the job for those retiring and have a wife spending all their money and kids that need to be sent to college though. Most of my friends in that boat, either do oil and gas or overseas contract and make well into 6 figure. I'm not in that boat, and have no desire for either one of those tracks, so air ambulance meets my needs to a tee. I'm over 6 figures with military retirement and I do half the work that most of the higher paying jobs do and I don't have to be gone 6 months out of the year. To me it's like going from active to guard. Getting paid the same without the BS of AD and you're serving your local community.

As far as the Part 91 reference, I'm not sure what you're asking. I have very stringent GOM and Ops Specs policies to abide by but working conditions are the easiest, most laid back I've ever had. Bear in mind my primary comparison is 20 yrs military, so pretty much anything is gravy compared to that. Kinda like what James was saying, we BBQ at work and hang out and watch TV. I just aborted a flight about an hour ago due to weather. I'll go to sleep soon and most likely not fly for the rest of the night. I didn't say it but EMS= Earning Money Sleeping. :DNot that I hope we don't fly but I come into work with an open mind. If we fly, great. If we don't, great.

Last edited:
I'd say FW guys like James generally get paid more than RW like me. Varies though. Seen Seneca single pilot EMS paying only 45K a year. Not sure about FW but RW overtime is abundant. They'll fly us anywhere in the country just to fill in for a couple of days.

I'd say on the RW side, yes, it is a prime military retirement job. Its not the job for those retiring and have a wife spending all their money and kids that need to be sent to college though. Most of my friends in that boat, either do oil and gas or overseas contract and make well into 6 figure. I'm not in that boat, and have no desire for either one of those tracks, so air ambulance meets my needs to a tee. I'm over 6 figures with military retirement and I do half the work that most of the higher paying jobs do and I don't have to be gone 6 months out of the year. To me it's like going from active to guard. Getting paid the same without the BS of AD and you're serving you're local community.

As far as the Part 91 reference, I'm not sure what you're asking. I have very stringent GOM and Ops Specs policies to abide by but working conditions are the easiest, most laid back I've ever had. Bear in mind my primary comparison is 20 yrs military, so pretty much anything is gravy compared to that. Kinda like what James was saying, we BBQ at work and hang out and watch TV. I just aborted a flight about an hour ago due to weather. I'll go to sleep soon and most likely not fly for the rest of the night. I didn't say it but EMS= Earning Money Sleeping. :DNot that I hope we don't fly but I come into work with an open mind. If we fly, great. If we don't, great.
Do you fly EMS part 91 ?

But someone who gets weekends off, plus four weeks vacation, 10 sick days, and all holidays can say they get 140 off PLUS only works 8 hours per day can almost say the same thing. They are GAURANTEED to be home every night also.
See my point??

Now, if you want to measure the 7/7 schedule to an airline, I can do that also.

Well I didn't add sick days or vacation but that would put me close to 200 days off but whatever. My point is, most flying jobs travel. If you enjoy being gone from home, then by all means go for it. I spent 20 yrs traveling in the military. I have no desire to do that anymore. Also, the M-F job will only provide weekends off a month. If I wanted to take my plane on a trip, it doesn't give me much time. With 7 days off, I don't even need to use vacation time. That week off I can go anywhere I want. As long as I show back up to work the next week, I'm good.

No one is saying this is the perfect job..well maybe James. It's definitely not for everyone and like every job, it has its drawbacks. It just happens to be the flying job that most closely meets my aviation goals.

Maryland State Police or similar.
Go to school, become an EMT--P, (2 years and volunteering) while applying to get hired by fire/police agency.

During the hiring process, that EMT-P certificate will rocket you to the top.
You have proven your commitment.
Helicopter rating and IFR = your IN.

Transfer, or more than likely you'll be assigned, to aviation - did I mention a take home cruiser ?
Mostly in police agencies but some fire departments like L.A. have similar.

Get "stick" time (after helicopter rating on own probably) but government MAY pick up some/most expense in training and by flying around on our taxpayer dime.

You now have the advantage of 'lateral transfer' over new hires.

It's a very long and rewarding, at least in beginning, back door way to your aspirations.

In he 90's many from the Fire Departments, (paid) already Paramedics, were courted continuously (aviation police officer/paramedic) and promised (FWIW) progressive responsiblity. I can attest - I was given the offer. (I thought very seriously about this opportunity but I was offered a fire department promotion - having scored high enough on a promotional test).

Many of my fire department co-workers joined the air national guard, got trained to fly whilst given time off from Gov. Fire Dept. job to do so - law - and encouraged cause the local Governments get federal $$$ reimbursement.

You and your family can count on your full regular pay and bennies the entire time.

Think outside the box and go for it.
I decided against. But I did fly dozens of missions with them as the second paramedic.

Consider the psychological implications of that job too. Your gonna see the worst in humanity for the most part.

A spouse in a similar job, RN, L. E., fire - will go a long way for a lasting -understanding relationship.
(It will eventually turn out that way regardless).

But if you loose your medical you won't regret my advice. Plenty transfers and a guaranteed job, same or more pay and opportunity.
Loose medical and you may be set for 100% disability. (Cause you were medically 'vetted' years past during the process).

Loose medical as private sector medevac pilot and you may be 'done'.

This is the advice I gave to my daughter, YMMV.

Last edited:
Do you fly EMS part 91 ?

There are some ifs to be part 91.

If there is no patient onboard and the med crew are employees of the company, then yes that leg may count as part 91, such as returning to base after the patient has been signed over to another facility.

At my company the med crew is part of another company so when they are on board it will be a part 135 flight no matter if we have a patient on board or not.

If the pilot is moving the plane to another location to pick up the crew with or without a patient, or relocating another pilot, then we can count it as part 91 time.

Other companies will be different depending on how they are set up.

Confusing? yes, PITA? yes. And each time we get a new POI we go through it all again. And this is for FW. I do not know about RW operations.

Well I didn't add sick days or vacation but that would put me close to 200 days off but whatever. My point is, most flying jobs travel. If you enjoy being gone from home, then by all means go for it. I spent 20 yrs traveling in the military. I have no desire to do that anymore. Also, the M-F job will only provide weekends off a month. If I wanted to take my plane on a trip, it doesn't give me much time. With 7 days off, I don't even need to use vacation time. That week off I can go anywhere I want. As long as I show back up to work the next week, I'm good.

No one is saying this is the perfect job..well maybe James. It's definitely not for everyone and like every job, it has its drawbacks. It just happens to be the flying job that most closely meets my aviation goals.

Which is why my pilots like it here. We average 2 RON a year. Again, 2 nights away from home. That is 2 nights for the company, not per pilot.

Again the time off. It is hard time off. Our pilots can plan a vacation years ahead and know they will have that time off. With 7 off they can take mini vacations or do whatever they want. With vacation time, 7 days off the first year, preceded by 7 days off and followed by 7 days off equals 21 days.

After two years my pilots get two weeks vacation time. That can equal two 21 day off periods a year or 42 days off in a row, or however they like it. Most take one 7 day vacation time and the other 7 are used to make a couple 10 day off periods.

Or work and cash in the vacation time.

My pilots enjoy the quality of life they have now.

Air ambulance is not for everyone. Same as being president of the USA. That is one job I would not like to have at all.

Back