Are my magnetos affected by SB1-15A?

bkspero

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bkspero
The two Slick magnetos on my O-360 are listed models, but their serial numbers are outside of the serial number range listed in SB1-15A. The engine log indicates that their gears have never been replaced.

Based on this I believe that my magnetos are not subject to this service bulletin. Am I missing something that indicates otherwise?

FWIW, they have run fine for the 7 years I have owned the plane. Lean in-flight mag checks have always been normal.

Nope. By serial number is what it is. My T-tail lance has a few of those where my serial number is skipped on ADs specifically. For instance, my rudder came out of the factory with the reinforcing doubler, but planes before and past mine did not. If your serial numbers are not included, well, they are not subject to the AD.

The two Slick magnetos on my O-360 are listed models, but their serial numbers are outside of the serial number range listed in SB1-15A. The engine log indicates that their gears have never been replaced.

Based on this I believe that my magnetos are not subject to this service bulletin. Am I missing something that indicates otherwise?

FWIW, they have run fine for the 7 years I have owned the plane. Lean in-flight mag checks have always been normal.

The engine log indicates that their gears have never been replaced.

If the mags have ever been sent in for IRAN, the logbook would indicate so but I would not expect it to mention the parts that were replaced. You might find that in an associated work order, though. And the problematic gears could have been installed at that time.

I just changed out my Bendix gears last summer.....hope they're not next. :eek:

If the mags have ever been sent in for IRAN, the logbook would indicate so but I would not expect it to mention the parts that were replaced. You might find that in an associated work order, though. And the problematic gears could have been installed at that time.

Thanks, Ray. Both 500 hour IRANs list parts that were replaced. I guess that it's possible that other parts than those listed could also have been replaced in the first IRAN (but unlikely). My current shop confirmed that magneto gear(s) was not replaced in the most recent IRAN.

Back