Are Dual NAV's necessary anymore

This, dual comms make life much easier.

Yes I would already agree with that. I intend to always have 2 comms. And for now I’m leaving the radios as is but plan to replace 1 with a nav/com and leave 1 old radio in so then yes I’d have 2 nav/coms. But there is a big difference in cost between a comm only and a nav/com so the real question was whether or not to replace the 2nd with a nav/com or just a com. Problem is I’m going with G5’s so if I replaced the second radio with a nav/com then I need an indicator too. That makes the cost difference even more. I guess time will tell. Thanks for all the input guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can take redundancy to a deep level...myself? My panel has a GNS430W, KY196, KN53, HSI, and KI204 head (and a GMA audio panel). So, for the way I fly IFR, I have multiple flip/flop frequency selection, comm and nav redundancy, and I've gotten into the habit of pre-staging frequencies (tower on the 430, departure on the second comm (I have a remote comm 1/2 swap button the yoke), then next freq goes into the 430, and back and forth as needed). For me, it's just easier. For you? Once you get into instrument training, you'll figure out what your comfort level is and how you run your cockpit, which will define what gizmos you want in your stack. Everyone is different; there is no one good way.

View attachment 77853
I did my instrument training in a 172 with dual 430Ws. It was stupid easy. I did a few flights in a single comm/nav Warrior. It easily increased my workload but it was still manageable.

Dual comms - yes
Dual Navs - nyet
Dual GPSs - hard to avoid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dual comms - yes
Dual Navs - nyet

Talking just certified GPS, or 1 certified, plus 1 portable? Because I have yet to fly in an aircraft with dual certified GPS

So a par 200 and garmin 355 would be good? I’m needing to do something and this would definatly be a less expensive route.

I already have a garmin 660 and iPad. This would not give me a VOR or ILS though. I’m planning on starting back on my IFR rating and trying to decide what to put into my panel.

Dual comms - yes
Dual Navs - nyet

Agreed. My first GPS is a 650. My second GPS is an the Aera 660 since it’s WAAS and still display ADSB and XM. Great backup especially that its battery powered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So a par 200 and garmin 355 would be good? I’m needing to do something and this would definatly be a less expensive route.

I already have a garmin 660 and iPad. This would not give me a VOR or ILS though. I’m planning on starting back on my IFR rating and trying to decide what to put into my panel.
Note that you will not be able to do all of your IFR training, and certainly not your check ride with a panel as you describe. You can fly IFR with it, however. You have tot do 3 different types of approaches on your checkride, so that requires a Nav radio. You can just borrow or rent a plane for that portion of training and the checkride, but you will have to balance that cost with the additional panel cost of adding the nav radio.

Note that you will not be able to do all of your IFR training, and certainly not your check ride with a panel as you describe. You can fly IFR with it, however. You have tot do 3 different types of approaches on your checkride, so that requires a Nav radio. You can just borrow or rent a plane for that portion of training and the checkride, but you will have to balance that cost with the additional panel cost of adding the nav radio.

I got my narco mk12 back from the shop so Ill probably just leave that in the plane. It’s got a little noise in it, but it still works and the tower says it sounds fine. I just hate to spend much money on it at this point, just the cables will run a few hundred. But that’s still cheaper than renting another plane and it would still be there if needed.

I plan on visiting your shop sometime soon, I’m just trying to get a idea on which way to go. I’m still up in the air about the garmin 375 or tailbeacon. If I go tailbeacon I’d go with the garmin 355. I also want a new audio panel, so which gps I go with will determine which audio panel. Ps par200, or ps 450b.

I've got a Narco 12D+ that has some radio static in, I keep it because it has a glide scope and I can monitor background channel on it. I've done radio checks 30 miles out from Cinci approach and they say it and my King Kx-125, are both clear. That gives me two radio VOR's both capable of localizer approaches and the Narco with ILS (Glidescope).

My IA talked me into keeping the Narco instead of installing a 355 as I was going to get rid of the newer King, I'm putting a Garmin GPS 175 in the panel now, think I will like the extra capability, except we had do a lot of work to move transponder to right side of panel to make room for GPS 175. I had already bought a Skybeacon before Garmin announced all this new WAAS touch screen equipment. If I had known product Garmin was announcing, I'd have waited and got the Garmin 375 which would have checked off boxes of ADS-B, WAAS GPS, and additional ADSB-in built in as well as slipped right in the panel where old transponder was.

Yeah, I think you guys have helped me decide just to keep the older radio in there for now. That should give me full redundancy without spending extra I don't need to.
You can save some panel space by removing both 170, and 1700, and installing a kx125, keeping the better of the two indicators. That will give you GS with a kx125, and the 125 is much smaller than the 170/1700. And, if the indicator should crap out, the 125 has one integral, vor/loc.

Back