Are 8's on pylons in slower aircraft even legal?

This is not a really difficult issue to resolve. Simply "Pass the Buck".

I asked my examiner if the two water towers on a nearby ridge would be suitable for the maneuver, he said yes, and the whole decision was his. :)

We did pass within a mile of a large barn, and a farmer on a tractor mowing the pasture, who did not even look up when I was looking at him. Once established in the pilon eights, never looked at him, of course. There were a couple of farm houses that we may have come too close to, but that was not my focus. With the pasture below, an engine failure would have been a non event, we could have landed, then taken off on that short grass. Both water towers are gone, but the pasture remains, within 10 miles of the Washington DC beltway.

If he had said "NO", I would have had him select his choice, and flown the maneuver. Again, his choice, his violation if one occurred.

If this went South, I would have fallen back on the relatively reliable rule, "The Government Knows Better Than You", and that he had far more experience and training than I, so should have avoided leading me into a safety or legal violation..

Back