Archer Pitot Mast?

Kane44

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Will
Can anyone explain how the Pitot Mast in an Archer keeps water out of the Airspeed Indicator? Other pitot systems have drain holes which allow water out the back. I can’t find any info on this. The Archer does however have a static port drain. Any info appreciated!

Its the same drain since both pitot and static are in the same mast.

Thanks for your response however I don’t believe that’s correct

This is a cross section

Attachments

• 8B03C7B2-0BB6-4B94-B105-3A84E3C9E261.jpeg
    8B03C7B2-0BB6-4B94-B105-3A84E3C9E261.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 59
Thanks for your response however I don’t believe that’s correct
It is correct. The pitot mast on the Archer combines the pitot and static together. That little cutout near the bottom is the static side and the drain is at the bottom, but there isn’t an external pitot drain. The system is drained from inside the cockpit.

Can anyone explain how the Pitot Mast in an Archer keeps water out of the Airspeed Indicator?
Think of it in this manner. The airspeed indicator does not consume air so no water should technically make it's way to the indicator. The mast is simply a support for the pitot sensor port and static sensor port. For water that does get into the "closed" pitot system either by rain/washing/condensation there are system drains located at the low point from which to drain any water. Here's some more info (Chapter 34):
http://www.centennialaviationacadem...er_archer_ii_pa-28-181_maintenance_manual.pdf

Can you please explain how the water gets to the static port side to be drained out. There’s only 2 tubes, one for the ram air and one for the static air. Sorry to be a pain but I don’t see that.

Why would a standard pitot tube have a drain hole then?

Here’s a few images from an Archer training manual.

CDEBDCB6-E94A-443E-A6DA-7F2AFFB712C7.jpeg 79BE9D23-AF88-4272-AEC1-92EBF2EBA786.jpeg

If on a standard pitot tube you have a blockage and the drain hole remains open the airspeed will read zero. If a blockage on the pitot mast occurs with no drain hole it will act as an altimeter right? So there is a difference

Thank you !! That is what I was looking for

No one ever explains it like that picture!

So it does collect water by using a trap basically, if water does happen to reach that point. Thanks again!

Back