AQI

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
So I had all my old round gauges overhauled/ IRAN by AQI last Aug during annual. During ADSB install the altimeter didn’t pass the test, it would go up to 4K or so and then just give up. So I send it back to AQI, they did whatever and sent it back, certified to 20k feet. Today, my avionics guy, about to finish up my other upgrades runs into the same problem, this time at 3k feet. Another altimeter from the bench works just fine. So I sent mine back to AQI again.

I am beginning to seriously question the competency of AQI folks.

I was trying to mitigate downtime by being proactive about failures and it royally came back to bite my arse.

I will update on what I hear from them and post back.

Thanks for the PIREP.

Surprised you didn't notice this in flight (Unless .... perhaps I could assume you're a fellow low flyer?)

I'd lose my mind if I saw my VSI continue to indicate a climb and my Altimeter stayed steady at 4k.

Thanks for the PIREP.

Surprised you didn't notice this in flight (Unless .... perhaps I could assume you're a fellow low flyer?)

I'd lose my mind if I saw my VSI continue to indicate a climb and my Altimeter stayed steady at 4k.

Nope it climbs just fine to 10k feet , just won’t pass the IFR test or whatever variance they are looking for.

I may have used the wrong word - give up. It goes up, but after 3k feet the leak is outside tolerance

Interesting - I just picked up a United altimeter from them last month and it tested fine.

I am beginning to seriously question the competency of AQI folks.

Their quality has slipped significantly and I know a number of folks no longer use them. There’s a backstory to this I forgot what it is, but something like losing a couple of key people Who are the stages.

Their quality has slipped significantly and I know a number of folks no longer use them. There’s a backstory to this I forgot what it is, but something like losing a couple of key people Who are the stages.

I have to find another shop if they can’t fix this. I had heard good stuff about them, apart from one bad pirep on this board. It’s just frustrating when you ha e to go back and forth for the same thing.

Well AQI means ‘here’ in Spanish so maybe u shouldn’t send your stuff aqi.

Wait, you pulled working stuff out and sent it in for “overhaul”?

Well AQI means ‘here’ in Spanish so maybe u shouldn’t send your stuff aqi.

Wait, you pulled working stuff out and sent it in for “overhaul”?

IRAN, the glass was foggy

AQI has overhauled several instruments for me..AI, DG, Altimeter, Electric T&B..all have worked fine. IFR cert showed no leaks.

Very often, the o'ring on the adjustment shaft on the altimeter leaks. Also, altimeters and gyro instruments get a rough ride during shipment.

There's always the option of OH-exchange instead of overhaul. Introduces the uncertainty of different "history" of the core, but solves the downtime issue. To me brass instruments are disposable cheap compared to having to invest in electronics (installed cost), so exchanging the unit represents zero opportunity cost for me vis a vis insisting in getting one's original core back. These things aren't engines, where the overhaul-exchange options do represent a significant added cost and a generally unwanted parts history regression in outcome (insult) for the premium paid (to injury).

For the record, I've been an AQI customer back in 2009 and again in 2012, no complaints. All three instruments in those instances, as OH-exchange. Have not had to replace gyros in the Arrow yet *knocks on wood* so perhaps the PIREP is too dated.

well if they cant fix it this time around, i will do a OH-Exchange, but with a diff shop. my avionics shop has put in a Altimeter that works in the plane right now. heck i might even buy that one from him if the price is right. my biggest concern with that one is... it has the word Cessna written all over it :p

LOL mine says beechcraft on it, so don't feel too bad. Every time I check my altitude I get a cold chill that prompts me to check-Six in terror... then I realize my tail is made of Al and everything is ok again. :eek::D

I'm on another Cessna forum as well, and folks there had a rash of work from AQI that did not reflect the work of years past. I've had several of my gauges O/H by AQI, and liked them a lot. On the last O/H the quality was not as good repainting the gauge face as in the past. Other have have mechanical issues that weren't resolved or could not be resolved. They were once to the go-to shop for quality and price. I heard something about one of their ace technicians leaving. Sometimes experience cannot be replaced.

Hey Priyo... I have an altimeter that was recently overhauled by Rudy Instruments. I am not using it right now. Would you like me to send it to you?

Hey Priyo... I have an altimeter that was recently overhauled by Rudy Instruments. I am not using it right now. Would you like me to send it to you?
Hey Rob. sorry somehow missed this. thanks for the offer. I have a working one on the panel now and mine is being shipped back. will see how that performs

Update:

the altimeter is coming back to me tomorrow. I will have my avionics shop run a leak test and upto 20k feet to see if it passes. AQI said the leak was at the knob. wondering how they certified it to 20k feet last time. they also said if it fails the test again they are willing to send me a replacement.

will update this thread as i know more. I am not sure if i want to yank the working one from my panel now, so it mine passes the test, I will probably keep it on hand.

Back