Apx. Value of 0-320-A2A, prop strike

Carlbray

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cbray
All
Trying to determine what to ask for my 0-320, conical mout, aircraft struck a deer, wooden prop, I have not had the crank dialed
Engine starts up, good oil pressure

Regards
Carl

All
Trying to determine what to ask for my 0-320, conical mout, aircraft struck a deer, wooden prop, I have not had the crank dialed
Engine starts up, good oil pressure

Regards
Carl

Total Time?
Time Since Overhaul?

Certified? Experimental?

Accessories?

Location?

Thanks for the reply, guess I dropped the ball on the info
400 SMOH
Log book says 1800 TT when overhauled in 2004
Has data plate
Was used on experiment airplane
I need to keep the accessories for next engine

Carl

Do the dial test; it will increase the value if within limits, and help you narrow down the value, too.

Do the dial test; it will increase the value if within limits, and help you narrow down the value, too.

Wooden Prop?

Don't worry about the crank, worry about the 1800 hours.

Tom
The engine was shipped to me with a new log book, 1800 TT was entered
At time of overhaul
I have no knowledge of the origional log book
Am I missing something?

Carl

It has been a few years since I was involved in this, but a complete tear down may not be required. If I recall correctly, and if it hasn't changed, the accessory gears are magnafluxed and that satisfies the tear down requirement on the smaller Lycomings.

Take a look into that. I could be wrong, but I could be right which would save you some money.

Tom
The engine was shipped to me with a new log book, 1800 TT was entered
At time of overhaul
I have no knowledge of the origional log book
Am I missing something?

Carl
yeah how much time has been put on it since it was overhauled ?

Wooden Props do not harm the crank when struck, they simply shatter and the engine does not get quick stopped.

It has been a few years since I was involved in this, but a complete tear down may not be required. If I recall correctly, and if it hasn't changed, the accessory gears are magnafluxed and that satisfies the tear down requirement on the smaller Lycomings.

Take a look into that. I could be wrong, but I could be right which would save you some money.

The AD on Lycoming engines does not preclude wooden props. if the prop was hit, the AD is due. Read it, it does not say the engine must be completely torn down or overhauled, The AD requires the bolt and keeper on the rear of the crank be replaced and the end of the crank be inspected.

I'd say its core value myself. Just looked at a 400 hour o360 pulled from a nonrunning storm damaged plane, it was $6200 but I'm sure negotiations would end up high 5k range.

Since it will need a teardown, I'm not seeing a whole lot of value even if it's running. What's an IRAN gonna cost on that engine?

not even core value. core value assumes that crank, case, and cam, are serviceable. crank is questionable at this point. unless the overhaul was done by lycoming, the old books carry on, so they are missing at this point. my offer would be what a case is worth.

bob

Last edited:
The AD on Lycoming engines does not preclude wooden props. if the prop was hit, the AD is due. Read it, it does not say the engine must be completely torn down or overhauled, The AD requires the bolt and keeper on the rear of the crank be replaced and the end of the crank be inspected.
....and the AD only applies if he wants to keep the engine in the certified status....else it becomes another experimental device.

....and the AD only applies if he wants to keep the engine in the certified status....else it becomes another experimental device.

This is true, ignore the incident, keep on trucking, Now you know why every aircraft I restore gets a new/rebuilt engine.
When you buy any aircraft you have no idea what that engine has been thru.

Oh but Tom, it was just overhauled, yeah right!

Back