April Mid-West Fly-In - Locations Poll

• Total voters
So what's in Canon City?
Scenery and an airport, mostly. Like Mari pointed out, there's also some interesting things to visit.

1V6 is pretty easy to get to in an airplane - it's not very much in the mountains by Colorado standards and it's close enough to the mountains that there's good scenery there. It's an active airport, too; even has glider operations.

It would be fun to venture out to some more challenging airports, like KANK. Maybe we could use 1V6 as a staging area. We'll also definitely need a poker run!

-Felix

Scenery and an airport, mostly. Like Mari pointed out, there's also some interesting things to visit.

1V6 is pretty easy to get to in an airplane - it's not very much in the mountains by Colorado standards and it's close enough to the mountains that there's good scenery there. It's an active airport, too; even has glider operations.

It would be fun to venture out to some more challenging airports, like KANK. Maybe we could use 1V6 as a staging area. We'll also definitely need a poker run!

-Felix

Poker run would be fun, I'm game.

Even though it has been decided, I voted for 1V6. I didn't look at this thread because of the misleading "Midwest" name.:p Like Mari, my Subaru is also FIKI and can be used if necessary. If good weather I will fly a C-150/150hp out of BJC. I will definately be there. (Marking date on Calendar). It will be really cool to meet the those whose posts I have been reading for the last year or so...

Even though it has been decided, I voted for 1V6. I didn't look at this thread because of the misleading "Midwest" name.:p Like Mari, my Subaru is also FIKI and can be used if necessary. If good weather I will fly a C-150/150hp out of BJC. I will definately be there. (Marking date on Calendar). It will be really cool to meet the those whose posts I have been reading for the last year or so...
Awesome, Tony! Good to get some native CO folks on board with this!

-Felix

Unfortunately no tow hook.:frown2:

bummer. we'll have to see how my spring goes. its a heck of a drive from wichita to 1V6, but if i could arrange tows for the weekend maybe i'd bring the glider. I need to get some contact info for the glider ops there

bummer. we'll have to see how my spring goes. its a heck of a drive from wichita to 1V6, but if i could arrange tows for the weekend maybe i'd bring the glider. I need to get some contact info for the glider ops there

We could just put a tow hook on the Mooney and I could drag you out there. Can the glider handle cruising at 140 KTAS? ;)

We could just put a tow hook on the Mooney and I could drag you out there. Can the glider handle cruising at 140 KTAS? ;)

well, the glider would probably about double the drag on the mooney.

and my redline is 110 mph. sorry.

I didn't look at this thread because of the misleading "Midwest" name.

I keep skipping it too, perhaps now that a place and time has been decided we could have a new thread with appropriate title? It might attract others who might not have considered going.

How more accurate can you get for something in the middle of the west than "Mid-West"?

:confused: :confused: :rolleyes2: :dunno:

People need to break out of their paradigms.

I keep skipping it too, perhaps now that a place and time has been decided we could have a new thread with appropriate title? It might attract others who might not have considered going.

Felix and other organizers-

Please contact me if there is anything I can do to assist in setting things up at 1V6. I do have a buddy who is a part owner of one of the FBO's there. I may be able to see if he will do a deal on fuel or MX (He runs a great engine shop there).

Ric, that sounds great.

By the way, you ARE coming, right? ;)

OK, I read most of this thread, and I still don't know what day the flyin was scheduled for....anyone?

I thought it was going to be April 17, 18, 19 but I haven't heard anything recently about it.

I believe April 17th through the 19th (though we're planning to head out there a couple of days early) at Canon City (1V6). What hotel are we using, and what do we need to do about ground transportation?

im not going to make it, if it happens. if i go anywhere that weekend it will be my grandparents 50th anniversary

I'm out - plane will still be undergoing maintenance/upgrades at that point, as we're starting on the annual today. Once the annual is complete, it's going into the avionics shop for some new toys there.

What hotel are we using, and what do we need to do about ground transportation?
I don't think anyone has decided this yet. It was Felix who was originally planning the fly-in. I'll go if it's still on, but I'll be flying the Subaru.

I don't think anyone has decided this yet. It was Felix who was originally planning the fly-in. I'll go if it's still on, but I'll be flying the Subaru.

That has significantly less cool factor than your Cessna, even if it is powered by a wanna-be aircraft engine. ;)

That has significantly less cool factor than your Cessna, even if it is powered by a wanna-be aircraft engine. ;)

If its the 2.5L, it could some day make a mighty fine, better than aircraft engine :D

Well it's only a few weeks away, so we'd better make the call pretty soon.

SCREEN NAME...NAME............AIRCRAFT...TAIL #...ROOM...HOME...ARRIVE
Gprellwitz....Grant & Leslie..T182T......N5279V...yes....1C5....4/15

Canon City/Fremont County

www.canoncitycolorado.com

Typical mid-range nationally known motels, number of local motels. Since you're planning early season, it'll be prior to the tourist barrage for river rafting (on the Arkansas river), but the Royal Gorge RR will be running. Check out it's website - not cheap for either lunch or dinner (and you better make reservations well in advance!) but the food is very, very good - much better than you would expect. Someone needs to organize this for a group rate and seating.

www.royalgorgeroute.com

A nice little winery is in town - used to be part of the Abbey, and they'll be happy to give you a tour and set up a wine tasting.

One downside (actually 2) - Fort Carson uses 1V6 for practice parachute drops, and the USAF UPT (initial pilot training) based at Pueblo (PUB) uses it for T&G since T&Gs are not allowed at PUB.

Have you contacted the airport manager yet? The airport is very well situated, very amenable to flyins, great people.

Going from 1V6 to KANK is not as trivial as you might expect when looking at a sectional. Best be at 10.5K and it's a valley route (over the RG RR, BTW) that can get
really windy and gusty. Salida is a nice little town, again, river rafting and related summer activities along with being a base for winter skiing and such.

Horseback riding, golf, etc.

And anyone wanting some serious mountain flying and/or IFR training, Mickey Russell's based at KAEJ (Buena Vista) a short hop north of Salida. And a bit north of that, is Leadville.

Taos, as much as I really like it, is getting too expensive.

Group rates could be arranged at the motels, too.

Well it's only a few weeks away, so we'd better make the call pretty soon.

SCREEN NAME...NAME............AIRCRAFT...TAIL #...ROOM...HOME...ARRIVE
Gprellwitz....Grant & Leslie..T182T......N5279V...yes....1C5....4/15

Clark1961 Clark PA 28-201T N8089V No FTG 4/18

although this seems a bit dead in terms of positive responses...

SCREEN NAME...NAME............AIRCRAFT.....TAIL #...ROOM...HOME...ARRIVE
Gprellwitz....Grant & Leslie..T182T........N5279V...yes....1C5....4/15
Clark1961 ....Clark.......... PA 28-201T...N8089V...No.....FTG....4/18
although this seems a bit dead in terms of positive responses...
Yes, it does!

I'll be around that weekend and would be happy to fly with anybody that's in the area. I'll fill the tanks and we can check out what ever folks want to see. I don't go in the mountains (yet) but up and down the front range and over into the San Luis valley is fine. Lunch in Raton is good as well as dinner in the Springs. Pueblo has the museum and lunch at the airport also (plus a whole bunch of DA-20s buzzing around). KAPA has a nice restaurant if Denver is a destination. Of course there are off airport places that are nice too.

All this is weather permitting of course...

I'll be around that weekend and would be happy to fly with anybody that's in the area. I'll fill the tanks and we can check out what ever folks want to see. I don't go in the mountains (yet) but up and down the front range and over into the San Luis valley is fine. Lunch in Raton is good as well as dinner in the Springs. Pueblo has the museum and lunch at the airport also (plus a whole bunch of DA-20s buzzing around). KAPA has a nice restaurant if Denver is a destination. Of course there are off airport places that are nice too.

All this is weather permitting of course...
Im still working on the logistics, but i really want to go. my +1 works until 5 that saturday, and id rather not go alone, so maybe just a day trip.....we'll see

Leslie and I are starting to make contingency plans in case there aren't many people going to Canon City. They involve Key West! (We'll stay in the middle of the key so it's officially a "Mid-West" destination!:lol:)

well, I can't be there for the entire weekend, but Saturday is a definite - the advantage of living in Colorado.

Well, the lure of warmth in Key West, plus the opportunity to stop into KFXE to see Leslie's mom, is leading us south. Presuming, of course, that we can find lodging in the Conch Republic!

Since Greg never mentioned the fly-in and I wasn't a member of the POA board when the fly-in was scheduled...and since I have made other plans that weekend as a result, I won't be there. Greg...that's up to him. I will be in Phoenix and Grand Canyon w/family. Will look into the possibility of making it to Memphis in May.

Back