April Mid-West Fly-In - Locations Poll

• Total voters
I think Felix needs to rename this the Eastern West Coast Fly In :)
Or may the 'Middle of the West' Flyin ?:rofl:

But I will instead applaud him for trying to do something with the folks out west who seem to not have a lot of PoA activities. Also Felix has markated his flyin in such a way that a broad base of people are now aware of it. People from outside of his intended region are thinking about flying west for this. That is a good thing, don't ya think?

Felix, what would you say about something a bit further south, maybe between Houston/Austin/Corpus Christie/Brownsville, or is that too far East?

Or may the 'Middle of the West' Flyin ?:rofl:

But I will instead applaud him for trying to do something with the folks out west who seem to not have a lot of PoA activities. Also Felix has markated his flyin in such a way that a broad base of people are now aware of it. People from outside of his intended region are thinking about flying west for this. That is a good thing, don't ya think?
"Middle of the West Fly-in" - I like that, Scott. That will be the official name! We tried to find places that were not too far west so our middle of the east people, like Chip, could make it!

-Felix

Felix, what would you say about something a bit further south, maybe between Houston/Austin/Corpus Christie/Brownsville, or is that too far East?

Fredericksburg (T82), if you're looking for an incredible destination.

I have connections, there... and there's a hotel on the ramp.

But I think, geographically, this is not what they are after...

That's probably a bit too far east for some of our pilots. We were thinking about Austin, but that's too far for someone coming from the north or the west. It's almost twice as far for someone from LA, for example. I know these airports won't work for everybody, but short of a conveyor belt... :)

-Felix

Fredericksburg (T82), if you're looking for an incredible destination.

I have connections, there... and there's a hotel on the ramp.

But I think, geographically, this is not what they are after...
Spike, I would have loved to go there. If I remember correctly, that's right next to Enchanted Rock, isn't it? Just a bit too far, too....

That's probably a bit too far east for some of our pilots. We were thinking about Austin, but that's too far for someone coming from the north or the west. It's almost twice as far for someone from LA, for example. I know these airports won't work for everybody, but short of a conveyor belt... :)

-Felix
It's actually much closer for someone from LA, unless by LA you mean Smog City! :D

I was just looking for somewhere warm where we'd have a minimal chance of icing, and therefore a maximal chance of people making it! :yes:

in my experience its pointless trying to time a fly in based on the weather. pretty much anywhere we would want to meet, in any season, there is always going to be a possible weather issue.

It's actually much closer for someone from LA, unless by LA you mean Smog City! :D

I was just looking for somewhere warm where we'd have a minimal chance of icing, and therefore a maximal chance of people making it! :yes:
Yeah, that'd be smog city ;)

There's a chance of icing those airports, even in April. But I think the chance that it would be dangerous to fly toward the later half of April is probably quite a bit less than 50%. Supposed to be a nice time of the year - not too hot, not too cold...incidentally, that's why I voted for 1V6. It's not as much in the mountains as the others. Field elevation 3000'...

Edit: What Tony said :)

I'd hope that everyone would read this anyway. If this goes well, it will hopfully become one of the annual events that draws people from as far as Pennsylvania, even if they cheat. ;)

Texas is going to be too far east, as would Jay's hotel. While I would like to go to a fly-in at Jay's hotel sometime, the point of this fly-in is something in the western third or so of the country. As has already been stated, the folks over there tend to be somewhat left out on PoA events. Not that they don't make it to them anyway, but I love going out west anyway, so this is a good excuse, at least for me. I have enough trips scheduled for next year that I'll probably have to fly commercial and meet up with someone out west on this one, but if this goes well and becomes an annual event (which I'd hope it does), maybe fly GA the next year.

I won't skew the results by voting, as I probably won't be able to attend. I think we're going to try to make it to Fly-B-Q next year.

I won't skew the results by voting, as I probably won't be able to attend. I think we're going to try to make it to Fly-B-Q next year.
Chris, you have to go! You're the history coordinator/tourguide :)

Maybe you and Tony could split the ride?

What?! Oh come on!

Chris, you have to go! You're the history coordinator/tourguide :)

Maybe you and Tony could split the ride?

Yeah! That's what the 2500HD of the sky is for! If you don't come, Felix may have to come pick you up in the P-Baron. ;)

I'm up for Colorado!! Me and the bird dog and Flippy, too!

Re: April West-Central Fly-In - Locations Poll

We're trying to organize a fly-in for April (so that we don't have to wait for Gaston's to talk about airplanes). There's a few possible locations...vote away!

1V6 = Canon City, CO
Lots of stuff to do nearby: The Royal Gorge, a historic railroad, bridge, and a nice town. Not in the mountains, so elevation isn't a problem. See http://www.royalgorgeroute.com/fremontcountyairport.htm.

CNM = Carlsbad, NM
There's the taverns nearby and a nice little town.

SKX = Taos, NM
Elevation might be a problem, but it's a nice community. Lots of nice galleries and restaurants, according to Mari.

PGS = Pagosa Springs, CO
Also in the mountains. Nice outdoor location with beautiful scenery.

Our main goal is to find an airport that is close enough for folks and not too far in the mountains. We don't want to have a bunch of people canceling because of ice, which could happen even in April. Also, all the locations above have services nearby, and there's lots of stuff to do nearby. Lastly, we're looking for airports that aren't too busy so that we can set up there without disturbing anyone. The airports above are uncontrolled.

Heck, we've got Sun n Fun in April..... how about that for those attending....?

Re: April West-Central Fly-In - Locations Poll

Heck, we've got Sun n Fun in April..... how about that for those attending....?
There are other events in April, but, as far as I know, none of them are in the West....

Grant, if you care about warmth then hop in a 182 and follow me down to the Caribbean next month. That'll be warm! :)

It looks like 1V6 is the winner right now, although I don't know how long Felix wants to keep this poll open before starting the new poll about which dates would be preferred.

Don't we have to wait for the 3000th vote? :rofl:

I think the poll will auto close on the 13th.

Grant, if you care about warmth then hop in a 182 and follow me down to the Caribbean next month. That'll be warm! :)

It looks like 1V6 is the winner right now, although I don't know how long Felix wants to keep this poll open before starting the new poll about which dates would be preferred.

I'd love to get some more votes. 1V6 would work, especially considering the new secret twist that we discussed yesterday!

-Felix

Secret Twist????

Inquiring minds need to know!

Secret Twist????

Inquiring minds need to know!
Well, since we're in Colorado, we may want to explore the scenery a bit. But not everybody likes mountain flying. 1V6 is more or less out of the mountains, which is what makes it a good choice. It's still a bit high, so with this model, we could move to pretty much any airport to meet up, even something a bit lower...depends if people are ok with 1V6's elevation

That said, there are some fun airports within 30-40NM that would be worth exploring as a day trip, like KANK. I might even hop over to Leadville....

-Felix

Last edited:
That said, there are some fun airports within 30-40NM that would be worth exploring as a day trip, like KANK.
Here is a picture of KANK (Salida).

Attachments

• Salida airport.jpg
    Salida airport.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 16
I had either forgotten about this secret twist, but it is a possibility. I would certainly enjoy some mountain flying.

I'd more like to see more votes because that would hopefully indicate more people coming. While we're showing 9 right now for 1V6 and a total of 14 voting, it would be nice if more came! :yes:

Awesome! So have you been to KANK in the Citabria?
Citabria? I haven't flown a Citabria since about 1979. :redface:

The day I took this picture (guessing 7 or 8 years ago) I was most likely doing a doctor outreach trip in a King Air.

Citabria? I haven't flown a Citabria since about 1979. :redface:

The day I took this picture (guessing 7 or 8 years ago) I was most likely doing a doctor outreach trip in a King Air.

WOW! I don't know WHY, but for some reason, I thought Diana had posted that pic! WEIRD! I think it's all this ice and snow.. It has my brain on permanent brain-freeze. ;)

WOW! I don't know WHY, but for some reason, I thought Diana had posted that pic! WEIRD! I think it's all this ice and snow.. It has my brain on permanent brain-freeze. ;)
It's OK Chris. I know how it is, but you're too young to have that happen now! :smilewinkgrin:

I didn't read the entire thread but did anyone suggest TUS?
The best fly-in I ever went to (next to Gastons) was Tucson....good field, dry weather, TONS of aviation things to do away from the airport: We visited the boneyard, AAMARC museum(sp), went down a missile silo. Fine restaurants.
yes a bit west but y'all could position here the night before!

Party at Dave's!!!!!!:idea:

I didn't read the entire thread but did anyone suggest TUS?
The best fly-in I ever went to (next to Gastons) was Tucson....good field, dry weather, TONS of aviation things to do away from the airport: We visited the boneyard, AAMARC museum(sp), went down a missile silo. Fine restaurants.
yes a bit west but y'all could position here the night before!

Back