April fools jokes to do on flight instructor

Matthew Black

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Boeing7871216
With April 1 on the horizon, I have been trying to come up with Ways to prank my flight instructor. Preferably jokes that won’t get me kicked from the flying club. Anyone have funny ideas?

I like that!!
I would highly recommend you do not pull the power in the airplane as a joke. General Aviation is a serious endeavor, and messing around is a ridiculous idea. Maturity and and a sober mind is needed to be safe and successful in Aviation. If you want to have fun, do something on the ground post flight... after the flight is complete and over lunch. Have a friend call him and pretend he won a flight with the blue angels or something like that. Leave the jokes out of the flying. And believe me, I am a big comedy fan... and appreciate a good prank.

I would highly recommend you do not pull the power in the airplane as a joke. General Aviation is a serious endeavor, and messing around is a ridiculous idea. Maturity and and a sober mind is needed to be safe and successful in Aviation. If you want to have fun, do something on the ground post flight... after the flight is complete and over lunch. Have a friend call him and pretend he won a flight with the blue angels or something like that. Leave the jokes out of the flying. And believe me, I am a big comedy fan... and appreciate a good prank.
Yes, to be perfectly clear, I was joking. Positive exchange of controls and all that...

Go to the donut shop and buy some long johns - but instead Bavarian Cream pay them a little to put mayo or salad dressing in them. @ that point the icing flavor isn't relevant.
Don't half-ass it, go full Van Wilder with it.

While in level cruise flight, cover your mouth with your hand, look at him with a ""I can't believe this is happening'' look, then all in one movement quickly remove your hand turn and lean towards him while making a loud retching noise...

PS: I did this with an instructor I did not care for very much, and we never flew together again.

Or if not wanting to prank in the air...get a empty whisky bottle, fill it with tea and take sips out of it during the pre-flight...

another consideration: if your instructor likes practical jokes, don't get in a battle of practical jokes with your instructor because you will probably lose one way or another.

Fuel selector to OFF.

But for real this happened on my multi checkride, so why not? lol

But for real this happened on my multi checkride, so why not? lol

On my commercial multi stage check, (mock check ride) the instructor dripped a little brake fluid on the left main brake to see if I would catch it.

I saw it and brought it to his attention. He told me he put it there, and I asked about the little seep up on the brake line where it bends for the gear movement. He looked at it and said he must have hit the can against it when he poured the fluid on the brake. Ok, I accepted that.

We went and did the flight, then came back and did 2 T&Gs, with the third landing to be a practice land and hold short.

Guess where the brake line broke...

Good thing it was practice...

I told this story a few years ago but it's appropriate for this thread.

I helped prank a CFI once. I'd finished flying and was standing near the flight school desk BSing with some other pilots. Over the radio we heard one of the CFIs have some momentary confusion and make a minor mistake talking with the tower at a nearby Class D, and I got an idea and suggested a bit of a gag....

So, when he got back to our airport and walked in, the guy working the desk said, "The Leesburg tower just called and asked who was flying tail number 123AB. They left a number for you to call."

After a momentary "Oh Sh|t" reaction, he hesitantly called the number on his cell phone. The number was actually another CFI's cell and he was hiding in another room. He started balling the guy out, and our victim was trying to make all kinds of apologies as the other instructor came walking up still talking on the cell. When our victim realized he'd been had, he almost collapsed from laughing so hard and being so relieved.

While in level cruise flight, cover your mouth with your hand, look at him with a ""I can't believe this is happening'' look, then all in one movement quickly remove your hand turn and lean towards him while making a loud retching noise...

Or, grab his flight bag and make the retching noise into it, then toss it into the back seat, wipe your face, and say, "Wow. I feel better now. Can we continue the flight?"

A while back I found in an electronics bin a small blue electrical compoent, about the size of a C cell battery with a couple of wires coming from it. Printed on it was "CRITICAL SAFETY COMPONENT" and not much else. I used to leave it on the floor of the cockpit while other people were preflighting to see if they noticed.

My instructor used to open the door (Cessna 152) periodically partially to provide a distraction and partially because he was a jerk. After about the third time, I just rolled to his side and stomped on the left rudder. Good thing he had his seatbelt on.

I used to go to the flight school on nights when he taught ground school hand heckle him (then we'd go out drinking).

A while back I found in an electronics bin a small blue electrical compoent, about the size of a C cell battery with a couple of wires coming from it. Printed on it was "CRITICAL SAFETY COMPONENT" and not much else. I used to leave it on the floor of the cockpit while other people were preflighting to see if they noticed.
:lol:

Try zip-tying a few loose wires into the engine compartment, looking like they should be connected to something......

Wear your captain's shirt with too many epaulets on it like Paul ...

Going up for a flight with your instructor? As you're holding short of the runway, waiting to take off, bow your head and look like you're praying, then as you begin to roll, remark "This looks like a beautiful day to die! Uh, fly. I mean fly."

He'll be worrying the entire flight, so cap it off properly. On short final, take a noticeable deep breath and briefly glance skyward while shouting "Allahu Akbar!!" as loudly as you can.

Maybe show up for a flying lesson wearing an orange prison jumpsuit with "County Jail" stamped on it. Keep glancing around nervously and asking, "Are we ready to go yet? Can we go now? How much longer? How far can the plane fly?"

If you must prank, prank on the ground - not in flight. And nothing to do with the plane or pilot condition, etc.

AND only if the CFI is the type who would appreciate a joke. My current CFI - nope........

Something like putting a note on his windshield that that he is in potential violation of the new FISDO local car parking regulations, and that he doesn't have a sticker noting that his car tires are filled with 100% nitrogen. Give him a number to call, etc.

Or if he belongs to a flight school, a memo from the flight school indicating that they are starting a new dress code requiring button dress shirts and ties.

There is the ol' drop the pen...ask passenger to grab it...and while he leans down drop into a steep dive while screaming "OH SH!#!!!!!"...but yeah, I might do that with an unsuspecting passenger but not a CFI...ANY in flight prank will depend on the relationship and demeanor of CFI as that could be construed as dangerous and could be viewed are poor aeronautical decision making.

Back