Approach plates on Nexus 7

jsnapp

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BJC-Cherokee
I have an iPad running forflight and live the plates in ForeFlight and how they handle and organize the plates. The only problem is the iPad is too big to put on the yoke of my cherokee. It blocks too much of the panel for me. I picked up the nexus 7. I also wanted to use it in the plane but just dedicate it for plates. I am not thrilled with anything I have found out there. PDF Plates was the best I found but they are not shutting down. It was also hard to select different plates when there were any bumps. I would hate to have to download all the individual plates I want. I have tried anywhere map with their plates and I find it useless. There is so much other clutter on he screen that parts of what I want to see on the plate are blocked. as a side note, I find the sectional maps very bad compared to ForeFlight.the resolution is poor.

is anybody out there using something good for plates. I do find that the nexus 7 fits the yoke almost perfectly.

See my thread in this forum on Android-based EFB. Pictures to be added soon.

Bottom line - the Nexus 7 is a nice unit, and I think the 7" form factor is perfect for GA use.

Garmin Pilot works well on my Nexus 7.
I use Garmin Pilot. But if you just want PDF plates(on a per airport, per region or per-state basis) you can get them here: http://www.chartbundle.com/

How's the visibility of the plates? One nice thing with the IPad is that it shows the whole plate and essentially the same size as the paper version.
My concern is that plates on a 7" tablet will be too small to read well (especially for those of us with bifocals, or even trifocals:yikes:)

My concern is that plates on a 7" tablet will be too small to read well (especially for those of us with bifocals, or even trifocals:yikes:)

I have bifocals and have no problem reading any portion of the chart when on full-screen on the Nexus 7. I will zoom, occasionally, but don't need to.

How's the visibility of the plates? One nice thing with the IPad is that it shows the whole plate and essentially the same size as the paper version.
Search Youtube for Chartbundle Nook Color. And then skip ahead to about minute 5 or so and after all that talking there's a brief view of the plate versus an actual paper plate. I didn't show any zoom or anything and it's an older device, but basically the same screen size as all the other 7" tablets.

Yes, I really should do something with a bit more modern technology.

Back