Apple watch EKG

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
A pal of mine with a new Apple Watch had this show up when he looked at the EKG feature. He's in his mid 80s on BasicMed. Is this anything he should report? He feels fine.
He doesn't do much on the computer. Thanks.

Attachments

• CCE_000002.pdf
    293.8 KB · Views: 203
Not sure I'd report anything from an Apple watch EKG but I would go see my doc to found out if there is something going on ...

Apple Watch ECGs are not reportable. If your friend is concerned or is feeling unwell, they should contact their provider to discuss the results.

For more info on the ECG functionality.

Last edited:
What is his HR?

It says 25mm (two & a half large box widths) is one second.
On the first image, top row, I see seven QRS complexes in 37 large boxes.
So, 6 beats per 37/2.5 is
6 beats per 15 sec or
24 bpm
Which is very, very low so I must be missing something.

Oh, that would mean a PR interval of a second. Way too long.
Those must be pairs of QRS’s - a short one followed by a tall one? Bigeminy.

Last edited:
What is his HR?

It says 25mm (two & a half large box widths) is one second.
On the first image, top row, I see seven QRS complexes in 37 large boxes.
So, 6 beats per 37/2.5 is
6 beats per 15 sec or
24 bpm
Which is very, very low so I must be missing something.

Oh, that would mean a PR interval of a second. Way too long.
Those must be pairs of QRS’s - a short one followed by a tall one? Bigeminy.

I ain't no doc but the record (Google) for slow heart beat is 27 bpm so if his was 24 ... :dunno:

Did the watch summary advise him to seek medical care? The app doesn’t expect us to interpret strips. It tells us to seek help.

The low pulse record is 27? My 30 day Holter showed my sleeping pulse at 26. That earned me a prize. A cute little device from Medtronics. But rate isn’t AFib.

Last edited:
what am I doing wrong with the counting?
You're only counting between the little ones. The big ones count, kind of. In the section where he's in sinus rhythm, his rate is about 70. The part where he's in bigeminy (big and little), there are pauses after the PVCs (the big ones), which is normal. Not normal normal, but normal to happen after PVCs.

According to Dubin's Rapid Interpretation of EKGs, the heart rate is estimated by finding a complex more or less on a vertical line, then counting 300, 150, 100, 75, 60, 50 until you get to the next complex.

Back to the OP. Your friend needs to see a doctor.

The low pulse record is 27? My 30 day Holter showed my sleeping pulse at 26. That earned me a prize. A cute little device from Medtronics. But rate isn’t AFib.

Call 'em and tell your story! You might get in the book ...

Re: Apple Watches…

1) I have a friend whose watch gave them the first hint they were going into and out of atrial fibrillation. Getting that treated promptly can help avoid a stroke or worse.

2) I had a relatively minor motorcycle accident on gravel. Almost as soon as I got up and was assessing the damage to the bike and myself my phone rang. It was Roane County TN Emergency Services - my Apple Watch had alerted them I’d been in an accident. I let them know I was OK, but it’s easy to see how that could be a lifesaver if one was incapacitated in an accident. It also alerted my Emergency Contacts:

53106967738_1f3f3a30d9_z.jpg

I’m a believer. Other watches or gadgets may do the same thing, but this was eye opening for me!

Re: Apple Watches…

1) I have a friend whose watch gave them the first hint they were going into and out of atrial fibrillation. Getting that treated promptly can help avoid a stroke or worse.

2) I had a relatively minor motorcycle accident on gravel. Almost as soon as I got up and was assessing the damage to the bike and myself my phone rang. It was Roane County TN Emergency Services - my Apple Watch had alerted them I’d been in an accident. I let them know I was OK, but it’s easy to see how that could be a lifesaver if one was incapacitated in an accident. It also alerted my Emergency Contacts:

53106967738_1f3f3a30d9_z.jpg

I’m a believer. Other watches or gadgets may do the same thing, but this was eye opening for me!
We gave my mom an Apple watch for this feature. It hasn't called 911 for her yet, but it has been triggered by falls a few times and started the countdown.

I get fall alerts occasionally while doing chores that require using my hands. I never fell. When I did fall and tore my rotator cuff? No love from the watch or phone. I turned fall detection off.

I get fall alerts occasionally while doing chores that require using my hands. I never fell. When I did fall and tore my rotator cuff? No love from the watch or phone. I turned fall detection off.

It’s based on G forces on your wrist, it would be better if it could have sensors on your head, ideally sensing whether you’re in pain. We’re a ways away from that thankfully.

Ask your E911 folks how many false alerts they get. Maybe it's better now, I've heard is was a problem.

Personally, I hope I never speak to a 911 operator (or EMT for that matter) again for the rest of my life. Barring social encounters... and even those I could live without.

Ask your E911 folks how many false alerts they get. Maybe it's better now, I've heard is was a problem.

Yeah, the police here will not respond to a house alarm unless it is a monitored alarm system where the monitoring company calls the home dweller before calling the police, and only if they spot an intruder in the house on a security camera.

After all that it is still not considered a priority call.

I had an earlier model watch that I thought i would like because it gave air temperature.

It was always 98.6 degrees...

I had the same experience minus the real fall with injury.

I can see that. I get fall alerts with some regularity when it’s just a shock to the wrist from yard tools, hammering motions, etc. Still, it’s better to have it tuned for false positives rather than missing real falls and/or accidents.

Back