Appendiceal Cancer

U

Unregistered

All,

Last October, I was diagnosed with Appendix cancer after a cat scan. I had surgery (12.5 hours), in late January, was in the hospital for 17 days, and just returned to work full time last week. They took between 15 and 20 lbs of tumor out of my abdomen. This stuff grows in a jelly like substance resembling orange marmalade, and adheres to the outside of your organs and on your abdominal walls. It is not blood borne, and doesn't really spread beyond the abdominal cavity. Biggest danger is excessive growth in the small intestine. They took my spleen, gallbladder, omentum, and had previously taken my appendix during the diagnosis stage. They did not take part of my colon (I'm really happy about that!), so no issues with that, fortunately.

My surgeon, at MD Anderson in Houston, believes he got it all, and followed the surgery with a 90 minute chemo wash, which is designed to kill all remaining microscopic particles.

I had one setback during recovery, a follow up cat scan discovered a pulmonary embolism next to my right lung, and as a result, I've been giving myself daily injections of lovanox (blood thinner) and that is supposed to continue for six months total, or another three months. It is the only medication that I'm still taking other than a daily aspirin to keep the white cell count down. Since there is such a short duration remaining, and I've tolerated the injections well, they don't want to switch me to cumadin and would prefer to continue with the daily injections.

My AME told me to return after surgery, that he has "experience" with getting medicals back after cancer, and my surgeon says he's been through the process and has fighter pilots in the Air Force, and the Navy back flying, so I think I'm in good hands. But...

I'm not sure this AME has experience with this type of cancer. It's very rare. Only 300 to 1000 new cases per year in the US. I don't know if the type matters or not (do I need an expert in this type of cancer), and the biggest question is that I don't know when I can start the process?

I have a cat scan scheduled for May 2nd, but the surgeon tells me that it will establish a "baseline" going forward and we won't really know anything substantive until 3 months later, when they can compare both cat scans.

So, I'm looking for general advice as to when I can get back into the air, or at least when I can start getting there. I flew last week with my airplane partner (he was PIC), and my instrument instructor says I can fly with him (just can't log PIC). I was 10 hours from finishing my instrument rating when this happened. I'd like to get it done, plus I really miss flying now that I feel better.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

So, I'm looking for general advice as to when I can get back into the air, or at least when I can start getting there. I flew last week with my airplane partner (he was PIC), and my instrument instructor says I can fly with him (just can't log PIC).
Your instructor should be better versed on the regulations. Since you are rated in that aircraft, you can certainly log PIC time when flying with either your partner or your instructor for all the time you are the sole manipulator of the controls -- 14 CFR 61.51(e)(1)(i) refers. What you cannot do is act as PIC.

I was 10 hours from finishing my instrument rating when this happened. I'd like to get it done, plus I really miss flying now that I feel better.
You can do all the instrument training you want with your instructor acting as PIC, and all the practice you want with your partner acting as PIC. The only thing you can't do is take the practical test until you are back in compliance with 61.53 on medical conditions.

So get in there and fly -- and log!

Wow! What an ordeal! Glad to hear you're on the mend, and things are progressing ...

Stay tuned for Dr. Bruce's feedback on the medical issues and I'm glad you're getting some stick time!

I'm forgetting the actual name of the subtype of this cancer, but it's a slippery ba_tard. A spouse of my best lifelong friend died of this as it "got away".

FAA is going to rqeuire a review of the op note, and all the path and will send it out to thier oncology outside counsultant. I've had contact with him before, and I think this exceeds what I can disucss in public.

BOTTOM LINE, there is no risk free way to reapplly here except to get that external guy to review the notes, OUTSIDE of the agency, and even that's too much to say without having them to see in front of me.....

I am the OP. I'm bumping this back up to tell you all that today, I got my medical back!

After posting this thread, I reached out to Dr. Bruce and have been working with him since April. I did everything he asked me to do, in the order he asked me to do it.

While he was initially skeptical that I could get a current medical, he decided on a path for me that minimized the risk of a denial. We went down that path, including a 2 - 3 month delay when my surgeon asked me to be patient until I had a second CT scan for him to be more comfortable with the situation.

This past Sunday, I made the trip to Peoria. I flew Delta, my flight was initially canceled out of Houston, so instead of going to Detroit/Peoria, I went Atlanta/Peoria. I got a $200 voucher for the change in flight, when I got to Atlanta, I almost didn't get on that flight either, which would have got me another $500 voucher, but I'd have missed my appointment... I got the last available seat on the plane....

I'm going back, but in MY plane from now on.... lol

I met Dr. Bruce bright and early Monday morning. Checkup went great, papers went to the FAA. They promised to review, and they did, and this morning, I got an email from Dr. Bruce, and a fax copy of a temporary medical an hour later. I immediately printed it, have it sitting right next to me and have probably read/re-read it 50 times. I remain almost speechless.

I told Dr. Bruce that he has no idea how grateful I am right now, and that's probably not true (I'm sure he gets it every time he gets into his twin). While my wife is thrilled for me, I kind of think this place is the only place that can really relate to how I feel right now.

If you have a medical situation, don't give up without following through the process. Dr. Bruce helped me mitigate the risk as much as possible, then, I had to decide whether or not to "go for it". Knowing that we had minimized the risk, I thought it was worth proceeding and today, I know it was....

A public thank you to Dr. Bruce. Thank you my friend!

Great News! I am so glad to hear this!!!!

Congratulations Airman - fly that medical everywhere you can of while you can!

Also glad to hear you are doing well physically . . .

Well, like my competitive younger sister would say in a situation like this, ...."HAH!"
:)
But I have to give credit to Dr. RB, of the FAA on assignment in England, who looked at the FAA's outside contracted expert opinion, privately obtained, and said, "yeah, he'll say the same thing for us..." and issued.

Those of you who say, "the FAA is trying to stop GA from flying" have no idea about which you speak. This is a "unissueable condition".

Last edited:
I had a tough medical. Dr. Bruce is the best. Told me what tests and documentation I needed. I can't say enough good things. So I know how you feel. Congrats!

Great news about your health but the medical is absolutely icing on the cake! :cheerswine:

Great that you beat cancer. Great that you have your medical back in-hand. Wonderful news all around. Go enjoy being back in the air as PIC. :D:D:D

OP, congrats. Doc Bruce did the same for after PC, so I know how you feel!

Which reminds me, I need to schedule an appointment and make a trip to Peoria soon...

Terrific!

And I agree with Bruce; the FAA aeromedical office is in "fairy godmother" mode - they look for reasons to issue, rather than reasons to deny.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back