Apparently Skew-Ts are non-essential...

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Rucsoundings.noaa.gov currently redirects to a page about the government shutdown.

They may be non-essential for the majority of the population, but I really need them for my flight tomorrow!!!

National Weather Service is essential, they launch the balloons for the skewT data. But the web site maintainer may not be critical.

Remember that posts can address how the government shutdown affects the FAA and other services, however other political comments are off-limits. Posts have been deleted and warnings given.

Ah that explains why my app I use keeps saying no data available.

Rucsoundings.noaa.gov currently redirects to a page about the government shutdown.

They may be non-essential for the majority of the population, but I really need them for my flight tomorrow!!!

Gawd forbid you call Leidos...I mean.... who seriously calls a briefer? Someone who is lonely? Or perhaps someone who can’t find a Skew T online? :idea:

But..... perhaps you didn’t try hard enough to find them either.

http://www.skewt.aero/

Aviation Safety is apparently nonessential as well to the powerbrokers though I would disagree with that premise.

"Back in the day, we didn't have them fancy Skew-Ts. We had to rely on DUATS for all our weather information." - 47 year old CFI.... :D
DUATS? Back in the day? .... oh give me a break.

Old school was calling, or even better, walking into the the on field FSS and talking face to face with a qualified briefer/forecaster.

Even better, calling the local FSS for a DF steer, or DF approach in the dark of night. Never needed one, but the Instructors always had their private students fly a DF approach under the hood.

Aviation Safety is apparently nonessential as well to the powerbrokers though I would disagree with that premise.

I’m starting to wonder if we’ll be recalled to essential at the end of the week if we’re still shutdown. Both us and the CMOs are closed. We arnt that busy but I feel bad for my buddies at the Delta/AA CMO when we do get back to work.

I’m starting to wonder if we’ll be recalled to essential at the end of the week if we’re still shutdown. Both us and the CMOs are closed. We arnt that busy but I feel bad for my buddies at the Delta/AA CMO when we do get back to work.

Speak English please.....

CMO is the certificate management office. Are they important? I don't know.

Speak English please.....

CMO is the certificate management office. Are they important? I don't know.

It’s not aviation without crazy acronyms!

They’re two basic “versions” of the FSDO. The FSDO most know of are typically GA and 135 commuter oriented. The airline “FSDO” is called a CMOs because they only manage that one certificate. They do everything a FSDO does but only in the realm of that airline certificate. They’re other type of offices but that’s getting into the weeds.

So I’m on furlough and so are my buddies at other offices. My office is a relatively quiet FSDO. While some of my buddies are the offices, CMO, that manages Delta, American and so on or FSDOs like San Diego.

You can see without me saying what they’re facing vs me once we come back to the office.

"Back in the day, we didn't have them fancy Skew-Ts. We had to rely on DUATS for all our weather information." - 47 year old CFI.... :D

Personally I spent a lot of time learning Skew-T and consider the effort a waste unless you are flying locally in a glider.

Ah that explains why my app I use keeps saying no data available.

Yep. I was trying to get SkewTLogPro to work and it threw an error, and one of the parts of the error was "or the server may be down, which is beyond our control." So I went to the main web site and got redirected to governmentshutdown.noaa.gov.

Soundings are still being collected. You can get them at https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/soundings/

What's offline are the rapid update cycle forecasts, but you can get other forecast models, for example: http://vortex.plymouth.edu/myo/fx/raobfx.html

Hmm. That's cool, I hadn't really seen the actual soundings before.

The Plymouth site appears to be down, though, when I went to submit the form i just got a blank page back. Unsure if that's related to the shutdown or not.

Gawd forbid you call Leidos...I mean.... who seriously calls a briefer? Someone who is lonely? Or perhaps someone who can’t find a Skew T online? :idea:

IME, the briefers are pretty worthless when it comes to this sort of thing. They know nothing of SkewT diagrams... Unless they've gotten way better since the last time I called them.

But..... perhaps you didn’t try hard enough to find them either.

http://www.skewt.aero/

Uh, yeah. Check again. They're blank there too.

Looks like a useful site, though, I'll have to check it out once the government is up and running again. Thanks.

Personally I spent a lot of time learning Skew-T and consider the effort a waste unless you are flying locally in a glider.

They're very useful for winter flying. In fact, I would say that they're essential. Yes, I was flying before we all "discovered" such things, though I'm not sure exactly how long they've been out. We used to rely on AIRMETs, which tend to really suck when it comes to predicting icing.

I really like to use them to figure out icing potential and where the cloud layers are.

Yep. I was trying to get SkewTLogPro to work and it threw an error, and one of the parts of the error was "or the server may be down, which is beyond our control." So I went to the main web site and got redirected to governmentshutdown.noaa.gov.

Hmm. That's cool, I hadn't really seen the actual soundings before.

The Plymouth site appears to be down, though, when I went to submit the form i just got a blank page back. Unsure if that's related to the shutdown or not.

IME, the briefers are pretty worthless when it comes to this sort of thing. They know nothing of SkewT diagrams... Unless they've gotten way better since the last time I called them.

Uh, yeah. Check again. They're blank there too.

Looks like a useful site, though, I'll have to check it out once the government is up and running again. Thanks.

They're very useful for winter flying. In fact, I would say that they're essential. Yes, I was flying before we all "discovered" such things, though I'm not sure exactly how long they've been out. We used to rely on AIRMETs, which tend to really suck when it comes to predicting icing.

I really like to use them to figure out icing potential and where the cloud layers are.

Not blank...... actually input the info. I just pulled one for Little Rock. The face page is blank. I can’t do it all for you.....

Not blank...... actually input the info. I just pulled one for Little Rock. The face page is blank. I can’t do it all for you.....

I put in the info for the flight I took yesterday. Nothing came up on the graph. Today, it works. Pretty neat. It does seem to require a reload if you leave it alone for a length of time, though.

I put in the info for the flight I took yesterday. Nothing came up on the graph. Today, it works. Pretty neat. It does seem to require a reload if you leave it alone for a length of time, though.

Your welcome....:blowingkisses:

It’s not aviation without crazy acronyms!

They’re two basic “versions” of the FSDO. The FSDO most know of are typically GA and 135 commuter oriented. The airline “FSDO” is called a CMOs because they only manage that one certificate. They do everything a FSDO does but only in the realm of that airline certificate. They’re other type of offices but that’s getting into the weeds.

So I’m on furlough and so are my buddies at other offices. My office is a relatively quiet FSDO. While some of my buddies are the offices, CMO, that manages Delta, American and so on or FSDOs like San Diego.

You can see without me saying what they’re facing vs me once we come back to the office.

Not all CMOs manage just one certificate. While that is typically true of the ones that manage the majors, some CMOs are comprised of multiple Certificate Management Teams (CMT). Each CMT typically manages just one certificate. The Phoenix CMO and the PAC CMO are two examples. At least that is my understanding.

Not all CMOs manage just one certificate. While that is typically true of the ones that manage the majors, some CMOs are comprised of multiple Certificate Management Teams (CMT). Each CMT typically manages just one certificate. The Phoenix CMO and the PAC CMO are two examples. At least that is my understanding.

Yeah. Plus the Baton Rouge HEMS “CMO” which is multiple CMTs from what I hear.

I just keep it simple in my head between FSDOs and CMOs. The other offices are just the odd ones out. It starts getting really wonky when talking between the other divisions. We have a giant organizational chart on a hallway wall to help figure out who’s who just for Aviation Safety.

OKC was supposed to bring out the PROTE to Las Vegas next week. I have not heard if it’s canceled. I’m not sure but our local GA FSDO FAASTEAM rep could be furloughed.

Back