Apollo MX 20 navdata update

George Ross

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Horhay
To anyone who may know,

My MX 20 hasn’t been updated in awhile…I’m seeking knowledge on the process of obtaining current navdata and uploading it to my unit.

I searched the Jepp support site but was unable to locate a subscription for purchase, which I’ve read should be available.

I’m also wanting to know how/using what hardware the card is physically docked to, in order to load the data/software updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Horhay

Go to Shop.Jeppesen.com, create an account. Register your airplane and the MX20 (and whatever else you have) and then you will be given the option of either a subscription or one-time purchase. It's $79.

It's listed under Garmin. Garmin bought Apollo. There's only two versions of the MX20, the one with the knob and the one with the rocker for the intensity. The NAV databases are the same (the system software is different only in that the rocker version runs NT upside down, so if everything is upside down, you have the wrong version for your unit).

Go to Shop.Jeppesen.com, create an account. Register your airplane and the MX20 (and whatever else you have) and then you will be given the option of either a subscription or one-time purchase. It's $79.

It's listed under Garmin. Garmin bought Apollo. There's only two versions of the MX20, the one with the knob and the one with the rocker for the intensity. The NAV databases are the same (the system software is different only in that the rocker version runs NT upside down, so if everything is upside down, you have the wrong version for your unit).

I really appreciate the info regarding the MX-20.

I’m simply replacing my current/
failing display (the vertical-line syndrome) in my Glasair III, with a “removed for upgrade” display from a Bonanza.

Coincidentally…my defective unit has the knob, replacement/“new” display has a rocker switch. Assuming (hopeful) the existing/installed tray/pin connector will be compatible? Sure hope so.

Also, though Garmin “orphaned” these units, is there any possibility to updated the OS? Big picture is I’m not too concerned, as I’m only using as a GPS display repeater with no additional radar or other tasking. Simply wanting to know.

Thanks again for the excellent feedback!

Yep, the MX20 is officially a dead product. The only thing that keeps the NAVDATA going is that the GMX200 files are identical (just on different media) and unlike the contemporary Garmin pieces of crap, the cards are industry standard with standard FAT file systems.

I have a Mooney 201 with a Garmin 430 and MX20. The 430 navigation feeds the MX20. Talked to Garmin at Sun n Fun last week and they said to contact Jeppesen for the terrain database. Wasted several hours on Jeppesen trying to get the Terrain update. Finally got a rep from Jeppesen on the telephone and he said they never supported the terrain database. I just wanted to update my 15-year-old database. Just got off the phone with Garmin (30 minute wait) and they said there were no terrain updates available for the MX20.
Any suggestions

I have a Mooney 201 with a Garmin 430 and MX20. The 430 navigation feeds the MX20. Talked to Garmin at Sun n Fun last week and they said to contact Jeppesen for the terrain database. Wasted several hours on Jeppesen trying to get the Terrain update. Finally got a rep from Jeppesen on the telephone and he said they never supported the terrain database. I just wanted to update my 15-year-old database. Just got off the phone with Garmin (30 minute wait) and they said there were no terrain updates available for the MX20.
Any suggestions
Replace it with an aera660 and an AirGizmos mount? :)
(I'm only semi-joking)

Replace it with an aera660 and an AirGizmos mount? :)
(I'm only semi-joking)
Yeah. You are probably right. I just was on a mission. Now I will quit the mission and go on with my life!

Back