Apollo 13 engineers to receive honor.

ausrere said:
Even after all these years, every time I read the account of Apollo 13, it still never ceases to amaze me what these guys did :

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/04/19/apollo13.engineers.ap/index.html?section=cnn_mostpopular

Where would we be without good ole duct tape? :)

I loved this part:

"Among the biggest concerns was whether the astronauts had duct tape, Smylie said. He later learned duct tape was commonly used on the spacecraft to clean filters and for other tasks, such as taping bags of food to heating lamps.

"I felt like we were home free," he said. "One thing a Southern boy will never say is 'I don't think duct tape will fix it."' :D

My wife is a mechanical engineer. She always sits on the edge of her seat at that part of the movie!

ausrere said:
Where would we be without good ole duct tape? :)

They were on a hybrid free return trajectory. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Most likely floating around the solar system forever..or best case, crispy crittered in the upper atmosphere.

The Glory Days were dangerous but they had their act together. :cool:

The right attitude: (5.4mb download)
http://www.prometheus-music.com/audio/fireinthesky.mp3

One of my two souvenirs from visting the space center last week is a t shirt with the Apollo 13 patch and the words, in large letters, "Failure is not an option!" It wasn't by accident that this engineer chose that shirt.

Lest we forget:
Anything we really need can be either fixed, repaired or MADE, from duct tape.

Ghery said:
One of my two souvenirs from visting the space center last week is a t shirt with the Apollo 13 patch and the words, in large letters, "Failure is not an option!" It wasn't by accident that this engineer chose that shirt.

Gene Krantz says (detailed story here) he never said "Failure is not an option!" . They do have the actual tapes.
As controllers scrambled to track down the source of the venting, flight director Kranz echoed this thinking to all his controllers. "Okay, let's everybody keep cool...Let's solve the problem, but let's not make it any worse by guessing," he broadcast over the voice loops, practically spitting the word "guessing," and he reminded them that, just in case, they had an undamaged lunar module attached to the Odyssey that could be used to sustain the crew.
After the movie he used "Failure Is Not An Option" as the title of his book because that was the bottom line and everybody thought he said it anyway.

Back