AP options for a PA-32-300 (1969)

Daniel Karol

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Past-Zero
Hi Everyone,

This is my first foray into potential ownership & avionics upgrades and my first topic on P.o.A.

I'm currently in discussion with an owner of a 1969PA-32-300 to buy into a portion of the plane by investing in updated Avionics/Technology. One of the big items the current owner wants is an AutoPilot. The plane has never had one installed. I have tried looking into what options are out there but I know my search isn't exhaustive and I don't know if there are ways to perform the install outside of an STC while staying in the certified category. I ask because the Garmin GFC500 looks perfect for our use, but doesn't list the PA-32-300 on it's compatible equipment page.

What are the options for two+ axis autopilots for the PA-32-300?

Thanks!

The TruTrak is the only all new digital auto pilot available for the PA-32-300 that I am aware of. Of course, there are older styles available at a much higher price point. Contact me offline if you would like to discuss this.

Don't rush...the odds of the Garmin being certified for the PA32 is just one of waiting....takes a while to get thru all the variations of the airframes. If you like the GFC500, contact Garmin directly and ask when (or if) the PA32-300 will be on the list.

[not a rant, just a minor wonderment]
I'm always baffled why people just don't pick up a phone and make a direct call to the vendor about specific issues and questions.
[end of not a rant]

Thanks for the help Everyone!

[not a rant, just a minor wonderment]
I'm always baffled why people just don't pick up a phone and make a direct call to the vendor about specific issues and questions.
[end of not a rant]

It's mostly due to my work hours overlapping with most business hours for other companies. I spend 99.9% of my work week in meetings :(

Thanks for the help Everyone!

It's mostly due to my work hours overlapping with most business hours for other companies. I spend 99.9% of my work week in meetings :(
The PA-32R is on the "to do" list. Did you fill out the form at the bottom of

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/604257#additional

requesting the PA-32-300? There are 3 other models of the PA-32 on the "to do" list, so remind Garmin to get yours on the list also.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think we are going to wait for the GFC 500. We have both submitted a request and will see how things shake out for now. @N1120A, If the plan changes, I will let you know.

As of this timestamp on the Garmin GFC500 page:

Aircraft Models Currently FAA Approved for GFC 500 Installation:
Piper PA-32R
  • Models: 300, 301SP, 301HP, 301T

Hi Everyone,

This is my first foray into potential ownership & avionics upgrades and my first topic on P.o.A.

I'm currently in discussion with an owner of a 1969PA-32-300 to buy into a portion of the plane by investing in updated Avionics/Technology. One of the big items the current owner wants is an AutoPilot. The plane has never had one installed. I have tried looking into what options are out there but I know my search isn't exhaustive and I don't know if there are ways to perform the install outside of an STC while staying in the certified category. I ask because the Garmin GFC500 looks perfect for our use, but doesn't list the PA-32-300 on it's compatible equipment page.

What are the options for two+ axis autopilots for the PA-32-300?

Thanks!

For The PA32-300 I would recommend the 3100 autopilot as that is the newest and best technology available at a great price.

Genesys Aerosystems S-TEC 3100 is a fully featured, attitude-based autopilot that gives you a list of workload-reducing and safety-enhancing capabilities that were previously unavailable on aftermarket autopilots. Compatible with traditional steam gauges or advanced digital sources & EFIS displays from various manufacturers, the S-TEC 3100 delivers unmatched features and benefits:

• Precise, digital flight control for every phase of flight
  • 2-axis (3-axis option on some models)
  • Automatic Trim included
  • Envelope Protection/Alerting*
  • Straight and Level Recovery
  • Precision Approaches/Missed Approaches
  • Indicated Airspeed Hold*
  • Altitude Preselect*
  • And much more!
*Additional equipment may be required in some configurations

For more information on the 3100 please view this link:

https://genesys-aerosystems.com/products/s-tec-3100-digital-flight-control-system

For the owners who currently have an S-TEC autopilot installed, the upgrade price will depend on the equipment already installed. The 3100 AP would be an outstanding bargain to get the benefits of a fully integrated digital autopilot, especially considering the additional safety features which it will bring. Upgrades start at $9,995 retail.

For the owners who currently do not have an S-TEC autopilot installed. The 2-axis S-TEC 3100 is $19,995 retail for a new digital flight control system, which includes altitude hold, auto trim and altitude pre-select, as well as new features such as envelope protection and straight and level mode. The 3-axis version adds Yaw Damper and is $24,995 retail. You would need to talk to your dealer about installation time/price. Please let me know if I can provide any more information. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Doug Tellef

Inside Sales Representative

P: (817) 215-7628

F: (940) 325-8808

M: (940) 452-4882

Email: Doug.Tellef@genesys-aerosystems.com

Genesys Aerosystems

Precise Performance, Proven Experience, Personalized Attention

As of this timestamp on the Garmin GFC500 page:

Aircraft Models Currently FAA Approved for GFC 500 Installation:
Piper PA-32R
  • Models: 300, 301SP, 301HP, 301T

The key part is the R in the PA-32R. That signifies the Lance.

For the owners who currently do not have an S-TEC autopilot installed. The 2-axis S-TEC 3100 is $19,995 retail for a new digital flight control system, which includes altitude hold, auto trim and altitude pre-select, as well as new features such as envelope protection and straight and level mode. The 3-axis version adds Yaw Damper and is $24,995 retail. You would need to talk to your dealer about installation time/price. Please let me know if I can provide any more information. Thank you.

That's a bit steep when the Garmin unit is about 7k. I can wait a few years to save 13k...

The key part is the R in the PA-32R. That signifies the Lance.

That's a bit steep when the Garmin unit is about 7k. I can wait a few years to save 13k...

With any system, ours or a competitors, I suggest getting a quote for a full installed functional system. There are several threads on this board and others about the actual complete installed costs on various systems, I think that you might find that the "cheaper" systems end up actually being a bit more than advertised when you factor in all the associated costs and hardware that are not included in their advertised pricing. The price on our systems includes the servos, hardware kit, STC documentation, etc, and let you use a wide range of avionics instead of limiting you to a certain heading system. If i can help in any way during your research please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a great day!

Back