AOPA's 6Y9 Article

A BIG BZ!!!!! To the Fredricks

A great article showcasing what we already know. And some we didn't, I didn't know that our PoA fly-in inspired a street fair. :D

Congratulations on finally being recognized outside of the group here! Excellent work!

Great article, Brad, Diz, and Ed!!!

Great article. We need that sort of news to get beyond just the aviation community.

Very nice!
And, I had no idea about the L-4. :)
(I'm planning some L-4 mods on the clipped-wing sooper cub I'm aiming to build.)

EXCELLENT!!!! I tried to get them to do an article years ago and even bought the issue up at an AOPA board meeting I am happy that Brad finally got them to do something and am happy that Sarah Brown recognized the importance of what the Fredericks have done. I encourage all of you to write to AOPA and thank Ms. Brown for this article. Below is a copy of the email I sent to e-pilot regarding the article.

Kudos to Sarah Brown for the fantastic article on Prickett-Grooms (6Y9) Airfield. I personally know the Fredericks, Brad, Ed and Brad's wife Diz and know of the hard work and sweat they put into opening and maintaining this awesome airport. I have been fortunate to have made their labor day flyin last year traveling all the way from Wings Field, Where AOPA was founded, just outside Philadelphia.
I can personally tell you what this airport has meant to the local community. It has bought quite a bit of life and vitality to the area, infact the number of local residents that comeout to the flyin surpasses the number of pilots.
Bravo to the Fredericks for reopening this gem of a field when so many others are closing and Bravo to Ms. Brown and AOPA for recognizing their efforts.
Adam D. Zucker

Excellent! I'm glad they finally took notice!

Whoot!!!

P.S.--How did a fatal accident in 2003 lead to the airport's closure? Was it a lawsuit that followed? Did the accident involve an owner of the field? I can't imagine the FAA closing an entire airport due to one accident...

Last edited:
Whoot!!!

P.S.--How did a fatal accident in 2003 lead to the airport's closure? Was it a lawsuit that followed? Did the accident involve an owner of the field? I can't imagine the FAA closing an entire airport due to one accident...

Usage was way down (almost non-existant), the previous manager wasn't as prudent in maintaining the field (grass would often be over 12"-15" tall), the east end was torn up pretty good, reducing the usable length to 1800', etc...

The accident in '03 was just the final impetus needed to close it down by the state - they were looking for budget cuts back then as well. The 2003 accident had nothing to do with the condition of the field, so much as it had to do with the pilot attempting a go around after touching down somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way down the runway with a decent tailwind.

The tailwind isn't in the NTSB, that bit of info came from someone at the state who went back and looked at all the AWOS readings in the surrounding 100nm or so, and saw a definited wind pattern. I haven't verified the information, but believe it to be true. AFAIK there was never a lawsuit as the crash was a pilot-induced departure stall. Nose down impact to the left of the runway - no need for the NTSB to explain that one. Also verified by the surviving passenger, whom I gave a ride to in 2007 - his first time back in plane since. The story is in the 6Y9 forum somwhere.

Last edited:
Very nice ED! Good to get some recognition for all the work you and your family has done.

Gary

Yeah, I remember reading that story before, and thinking "how cool" it was that you were able to get him airborne again--especially at the airport where the incident happened. You must have done well calming his jitters. Awesome!

Fabulous news, Ed! Good to see you guys getting some of the recognition you deserve.

KUDOS!

Great article!!! I loved seeing that in my inbox!

Almost time for another visit!

Well I was pretty happy with the article, Sarah did a nice job.
They did edit out quite a bit of information and unfortunately the plug I put in for POA and all the pilot's that have helped by using 6Y9 and by attending the Fly-In's.
The plaque you presented us at the re-opening almost 4 years ago is and always will be proudly on the wall. (at the main terminal building:rolleyes:.)
Seriously,
Thanks to all, as always I look forward to seeing you all on Labor Day Week End.

Back