AOPA Rant

JB1842

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Josh
So last month I contacted AOPA (by email) to voice concerns I had with them, and to cancel my membership. I didn't hear a peep from them, even though the auto-reply email I received from them told me I would be contacted within 2-3 business days. So 2 weeks later I emailed them again. Nothing from them again. Yesterday I got a check in the mail from them for $35. I'm going to assume this is a refund on membership fees/legal proetction plan. I tried to use my log-in on their webpage, and my member number didn't exist. Thank you AOPA for cancelling my membership and sending me a check. Also thank you for your ****-poor customer relations that only affirms that I made the right choice by dumping you. I might have been willing to keep my membership if I was contacted about my concerns, but alas, you have proved to me that little GA, single engine piston, C-150 pilots don't mean squat to you.

You emailed them to cancel your membership and they did. That's a heck of a lot better than the customer service I've ever gotten from XM or Comcast.

Someday I hope my life's problems get so minor that my first complaint in the morning is somebody mailing me a check after I ask them to mail me a check.

You got what you asked for,if you wanted to discuss a problem,you should have stated that in your E-mail.

I usually just ignore mindless ranting, but I just got to say, someone sure woke up with a big ego.

Maybe AOPA made the right choice in dumping you.

Have a good day, sir.

There was a thread on here a month or so back on the AOPA and their stance on ADS-B. So I asking for more clarification on their stance and what their next steps were with this in regards to the FAA. I also asked if they were going to push Congress into forcing the FAA to stop delaying the implementation of the Small Airplane Revitalization Act. I told them I believed that they weren't advocating for pilots like myself, asked them to please answer me on the issues I brought up, or go ahead and cancel my membership. They cancelled it.

at least now you can buy yourself a nice dinner.....:D

BTW.....EAA has a nice magazine too. :wink2:

Last edited:
There was a thread on here a month or so back on the AOPA and their stance on ADS-B. So I asking for more clarification on their stance and what their next steps were with this in regards to the FAA. I also asked if they were going to push Congress into forcing the FAA to stop delaying the implementation of the Small Airplane Revitalization Act. I told them I believed that they weren't advocating for pilots like myself, asked them to please answer me on the issues I brought up, or go ahead and cancel my membership. They cancelled it.

OK, you're a AOPA customer service rep working the email queue. They probably have automated software that picks up likely categories. You accuse them of not representing their membership, demand they answer non-specific questions to issues, and mention canceling your membership. The software probably diverted the email to the "cancel membership" queue.

If you were that AOPA CSR, and your job requires you to answer a certain number of emails an hour, which button are you going to push if this came to you?

I don’t mean to diminish you rant Josh; I have just had a very different experience with AOPA that I wanted to share.
They have always returned my calls promptly and every one I have talked to seemed eager to help with whatever challenge prompted my call.
I have enjoyed all the AOPA events I have attended.
I like AOPA airports on my Garmin 696.
I use their flight planning software and it seems to work well.
I find some of their flight instructing materials valuable.
I am grateful for their political advocacy even when I do not feel aligned with their position.
I find value in the Air Safety Institute and learn a lot there.
A few times my expectations exceeded what they were able to deliver.
I suspect the misunderstanding was on my part.

OK, you're a AOPA customer service rep working the email queue. They probably have automated software that picks up likely categories. You accuse them of not representing their membership, demand they answer non-specific questions to issues, and mention canceling your membership. The software probably diverted the email to the "cancel membership" queue.

If you were that AOPA CSR, and your job requires you to answer a certain number of emails an hour, which button are you going to push if this came to you?

If that's how they run their customer relations, I want to cancel my membership too.

Sorry to hear that, Josh. My experience with AOPA has always been outstanding.

After submitting my email, they auto-reply saying that someone would contact you in 2-3 days. That didn't happen, twice. They failed, pure and simple.

I don’t mean to diminish you rant Josh; I have just had a very different experience with AOPA that I wanted to share.
They have always returned my calls promptly and every one I have talked to seemed eager to help with whatever challenge prompted my call.
I have enjoyed all the AOPA events I have attended.
I like AOPA airports on my Garmin 696.
I use their flight planning software and it seems to work well.
I find some of their flight instructing materials valuable.
I am grateful for their political advocacy even when I do not feel aligned with their position.
I find value in the Air Safety Institute and learn a lot there.
A few times my expectations exceeded what they were able to deliver.
I suspect the misunderstanding was on my part.

That is one thing that I am going to miss. I liked the online courses. Do I expect AOPA to have 100% customer satisfaction, no. But I did give them 2 opportunities to reply to me, and they didn't.

Last edited:
The questions he asked are all the questions I want more in-depth answer to from AOPA. Their public answer on ADS-B in the recent past has been "AOPA had no comment for this article". Which means that a major news organization asked them about a signature change in GA operating methods, and they were publicly silent.

The revitalization act is technically supported by AOPA. But - what have they done in congress on that? So far as I can see - not being a member, they have done nothing to spur the FAA in getting off their azzes and start the NPRM process. Where is the advancement in modern tools and systems? Where is the evidence-based study on limiting modern technology in GA planes? What has to happen for AOPA to start screaming about this with the signers and sponsors of the bill, where the FAA is in Ostrich mode?

These are not general questions. They are specific and cogent for the organization. I would say that cancelling the membership without explanation is a pretty bold statement on their position.

The questions he asked are all the questions I want more in-depth answer to from AOPA. Their public answer on ADS-B in the recent past has been "AOPA had no comment for this article". Which means that a major news organization asked them about a signature change in GA operating methods, and they were publicly silent.

The revitalization act is technically supported by AOPA. But - what have they done in congress on that? So far as I can see - not being a member, they have done nothing to spur the FAA in getting off their azzes and start the NPRM process. Where is the advancement in modern tools and systems? Where is the evidence-based study on limiting modern technology in GA planes? What has to happen for AOPA to start screaming about this with the signers and sponsors of the bill, where the FAA is in Ostrich mode?

These are not general questions. They are specific and cogent for the organization. I would say that cancelling the membership without explanation is a pretty bold statement on their position.

His questions may be good questions, but his tone sounds like he is conflicting them, and, to answer his lettter, likely would cost $36. Far cheaper for them to send him $35 and wish him good luck.

He will likely find out in life that some customers/businesses/relationships/friends/family are not worth the investment in keeping them, and people are better off just casting them off. It comes as one gets older in life and figures out what is really important.

As for your concerns, advocacy groups always like letters that are:

Dear Sirs,

As a member of 12 years, I wanted to express my concerns on the following issues and urge you to advocate on my behalf.

Issue 1: blah... blah.... blah...

Issue 2: blah... blah.... blah...

Thanks again for your advocacy, and here is my next year's dues, in advance.

Keep fighting,
Doc

His questions may be good questions, but his tone sounds like he is conflicting them, and, to answer his lettter, likely would cost $36. Far cheaper for them to send him $35 and wish him good luck.

He will likely find out in life that some customers/businesses/relationships/friends/family are not worth the investment in keeping them, and people are better off just casting them off. It comes as one gets older in life and figures out what is really important.

Dear Sirs,

As a member of 12 years, I wanted to express my concerns on the following issues and urge you to advocate on my behalf.

Issue 1: blah... blah.... blah...

Issue 2: blah... blah.... blah...

Thanks again for your advocacy, and here is my next year's dues, in advance.

Keep fighting,
Doc

If they feel the need to cast off people who want answers to how their dues are being spent, then I'm glad I got my money back. As for the letter example you posted, "You can want in one hand and sh-t in the other. See what fills up faster." I used the email submission they had posted in their website. If they want something more that makes them happy, then they can go ahead and provide it. I would have been happy with them even replying with some cut and paste statement.

Last edited:
Maybe the stock email stating that they would respond in two days is just marketing, like how every news cast keeps "breaking news" on the screen at all times to that when you're flipping the channels you'll be compelled to stop. Or maybe it's an empty promise, like when your buddy asks you if you need help with something challenging and he's praying you never say yes.

Although I'm not a member, I tend to think that if AOPA had the resources to answer every question that came into their organization in a timely manner, their membership would probably cost more than $35/year. You get(or don't get) what you pay(or don't pay) for.

Maybe the stock email stating that they would respond in two days is just marketing, like how every news cast keeps "breaking news" on the screen at all times to that when you're flipping the channels you'll be compelled to stop. Or maybe it's an empty promise, like when your buddy asks you if you need help with something challenging and he's praying you never say yes.

Although I'm not a member, I tend to think that if AOPA had the resources to answer every question that came into their organization in a timely manner, their membership would probably cost more than $35/year. You get(or don't get) what you pay(or don't pay) for.

If they can't answer them, then don't tell me they will. That's one of the reasons why I cancelled. I'm not going to pay for what I don't get.

After submitting my email, they auto-reply saying that someone would contact you in 2-3 days. That didn't happen, twice. They failed, pure and simple.

Did you call the membership number?

If they feel the need to cast off people who want answers to how their dues are being spent, then I'm glad I got my money back. As for the letter example you posted, "You can want in one hand and sh-t in the other. See what fills up faster." I used the email submission they had posted in their website. If they want something more that makes them happy, then they can go ahead and provide it. I would have been happy with them even replying with some cut and paste statement.

Now that you have your $35, how do you plan to spend it to advocate for your position on ADS-B and the Small Airplane Revitalization Act?

Or, are those issues no longer of concern?

Email and text should be restricted to casual use. If you have something important that needs to be said, CALL ON THE DAMNED PHONE. And the next time I get a business communication from someone through an email that requires an immediate response, I am going to find another business to work with.
I think AOPA did exactly the right thing.

I find these pilots who think that somehow if only the AOPA didn't have a wine club then the AOPA would be able to order Congress to order the FAA to get off their tails and do what we want!

What the members of the AOPA whine club don't understand is that the AOPA and the other aviation alphabet groups have had a lot of success in getting Congress to pass and Presidents to sign GA friendly laws.

The problem is, that the FAA is supposed to care, but they don't.

The aviation industry got the Part 23 rewrite law passed, which gave the FAA (IIRC) two years to implement the law.

The FAA's response to Congress now the deadline is almost upon us?

I wish the AOPA had one percent of the superpowers the Whine Club thinks it has.

So last month I contacted AOPA (by email) to voice concerns I had with them, and to cancel my membership. I didn't hear a peep from them, even though the auto-reply email I received from them told me I would be contacted within 2-3 business days. So 2 weeks later I emailed them again. Nothing from them again. Yesterday I got a check in the mail from them for $35. I'm going to assume this is a refund on membership fees/legal proetction plan. I tried to use my log-in on their webpage, and my member number didn't exist. Thank you AOPA for cancelling my membership and sending me a check. Also thank you for your ****-poor customer relations that only affirms that I made the right choice by dumping you. I might have been willing to keep my membership if I was contacted about my concerns, but alas, you have proved to me that little GA, single engine piston, C-150 pilots don't mean squat to you.

You won't get squat for sympathy from this crowd. They are used to being treated like crap, maybe enjoy it, or probably do the same to others. I used to be a big fan until AOPA got crappy then dumped them too. If enough do they'll change their arrogant tune.

AOPA sucks. Funny they were pro ads-b until they got feedback, now they just keep their little chickenpoop mouths shut. So clever.

I highly doubt the events transpired as the OP states.

If they can't answer them, then don't tell me they will. That's one of the reasons why I cancelled. I'm not going to pay for what I don't get.

I'm completely with you, Josh.(Ex-member since January 2013) AOPA either can't get to everybody or chooses not to. Either way, your hard earned money is probably better spent somewhere else. It could always go in the Avgas pot....:D

Dear Sirs,

here is my next year's dues, in advance.

Keep fighting,
Doc

Whelp, look at the bad press they are getting right here. Someone on the fence about joining may look at this thread, then do a search and look at all the other AOPA worthless threads and keep their money in their pocket. So, it's not just the one time dues of one member. They are supposed to be advocates for us, but they do everything - except advocate!

If he had used your method and sent that letter, here's what AOPA would read;

As a member of 12 years, I wanted to urge you to advocate on my behalf.

Keep fighting,
Doc
As long as the check clears, everything is copacetic and they don't need to lift a finger. Money talks, and if enough people hit the road, they will be forced to change their ways. Sadly, for more than a decade they have amassed a nice big war chest. Some people would call it "F*** you" money. They don't need the aggravation and they don't want to invest $5-50 in keeping a member. So - in their own way, AOPA did answer his questions; and their answer was a resounding; F*** you.

Whelp, look at the bad press they are getting right here. Someone on the fence about joining may look at this thread, then do a search and look at all the other AOPA worthless threads and keep their money in their pocket. So, it's not just the one time dues of one member. They are supposed to be advocates for us, but they do everything - except advocate!

If he had used your method and sent that letter, here's what AOPA would read;

As a member of 12 years, I wanted to urge you to advocate on my behalf.

Keep fighting,
Doc
As long as the check clears, everything is copacetic and they don't need to lift a finger. Money talks, and if enough people hit the road, they will be forced to change their ways. Sadly, for more than a decade they have amassed a nice big war chest. Some people would call it "F*** you" money. They don't need the aggravation and they don't want to invest $5-50 in keeping a member. So - in their own way, AOPA did answer his questions; and their answer was a resounding; F*** you.

I'm not sure about you....well actually I am. But anyway, I'd love to know how you can say they don't lift a finger. The last time you whined and whined and I provided you with several examples you just ignored them. But it's far easier to just whine from behind your keyboard.

further, you are the type of person that is killing this industry. Standoffish, rude, and unwelcoming.

Do you watch AOPA Live? Do you read your AOPA Pilot magazine? Every week they have a segment on AOPA Live to update the members on advocacy issues. In the Nov. 2014 issue of AOPA Pilot, Mark Bakers 'Presidents Position' commentary was about AOPA's stance on ADS-B and what they are trying to do.

You won't get squat for sympathy from this crowd. They are used to being treated like crap, maybe enjoy it, or probably do the same to others. I used to be a big fan until AOPA got crappy then dumped them too. If enough do they'll change their arrogant tune.

I don't want sympathy, I wanted to rant.

I find these pilots who think that somehow if only the AOPA didn't have a wine club then the AOPA would be able to order Congress to order the FAA to get off their tails and do what we want!

What the members of the AOPA whine club don't understand is that the AOPA and the other aviation alphabet groups have had a lot of success in getting Congress to pass and Presidents to sign GA friendly laws.

The problem is, that the FAA is supposed to care, but they don't.

The aviation industry got the Part 23 rewrite law passed, which gave the FAA (IIRC) two years to implement the law.

The FAA's response to Congress now the deadline is almost upon us?

I wish the AOPA had one percent of the superpowers the Whine Club thinks it has.

So do I, but ignoring you members is bad business. And for those who said I should have called on the phone, meh, if they didn't have a large email section on their website under "contact us" then I might have called them.

What are they trying to do with ads-b? Let me guess, they are hoping some cheap ads-b solution is invented by space aliens and gifted to humans to preserve GA.:lol:

Do you watch AOPA Live? Do you read your AOPA Pilot magazine? Every week they have a segment on AOPA Live to update the members on advocacy issues. In the Nov. 2014 issue of AOPA Pilot, Mark Bakers 'Presidents Position' commentary was about AOPA's stance on ADS-B and what they are trying to do.

AOPA live? No. Magazine? Not a big fan of it. Don't know if I got the Nov. issue yet.

Now that you have your $35, how do you plan to spend it to advocate for your position on ADS-B and the Small Airplane Revitalization Act?

Or, are those issues no longer of concern?

I personally think EAA is a better advocacy organization. They get my money.

AOPA live? No. Magazine? Not a big fan of it. Don't know if I got the Nov. issue yet.

If you aren't aware of what is actually being done how can you complain about what is being done. :confused:

If you aren't aware of what is actually being done how can you complain about what is being done. :confused:

Exactly. How can I know if they won't respond to my inquiry? There are many ways to find out about it, and I chose to contact them by email. In case I wasn't clear, I cancelled my membership due to their customer service, not lack of advocacy.

Back