AOPA Prescott AZ Fly-in

Not in the Phoenix metro area (or AZ at all... yet) but planning to fly in for the event from SoCal.

I'll be there! Look forward to meeting POAers...

I'm thinking of filling a C182 from VGT to go for the day.

Jay,

Tentative yes here, stay in touch...
Hey CT! Long time no see. I finally picked up a plane! You'll see me in the "Green Hornet"

Attachments

• IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 38
If it comes close to being as well attended as the one they just held at Bremerton, WA it will be very successful. Have fun!

It was very well-attended by pilots, people, and planes. Really nicely crowded.

Interesting to see the mix of airplanes. Kudos to the volunteers and Port of Bremerton people for a great event.

And I got to meet a few POAers!

I'm thinking of filling a C182 from VGT to go for the day.
The C-182RG ended up on its back at South Lake Tahoe, not by me.
Dang flat lander rental pilots.

So I am planning to bring the T-41B.
Arrival procedures have been published on the AOPA web

I'm at the Battle Creek one right now. Won't make AZ, but please stop in and say "Hi!" To Greg Brown for me!

We will be leaving right after first light. 1+30 ETE, should get me there right after 0800 baring any traffic delays.
Winds are supposed to come up to 30 mph in the LAS area on Sat. 40 mph on Sunday.

Hopefully not so bad at Prescott.

I read in an email today there were close to 550 planes, is that accurate? Now I am sorry I didn't go...

I was going to drive up as the archer was down for maintenance, but the better half had other plans

Now I have just copper state at the end of the month to look forward to

PSA was at OSH too, I thought I was going back in time but my 24 year old Commercial Pilot son corrected me as to who they are. And thanks for the update.

I talked with PSA and Mesa there and it seems that the criteria for hiring is now down to 1475 hrs and a pulse....! They both get you your ATP in training.

I read in an email today there were close to 550 planes, is that accurate? Now I am sorry I didn't go...

We had about a 15 min delay getting in. We arrived via the Ash Fork procedure and was promptly taken off the route and vectored by ATC. They were trying to get everyone on 10mile finals instead of over drake VOR and onto the downwind. We landed about 0845, parking on the east cross runway was already 1/2 filled.

Big problem was frequency congestion by pilots that do not know good radio discipline in a busy environment. Pilots that missed radio calls, 3 missed calls, you lose and on to the next aircraft. Most could see the great black big Rwy 21L, hard to see the smaller faded gray runway 21R. Tower had to keep watch on those landing 21R were lined up correctly and not crowding 21L or lined up on the taxiway between the two.

We landed 21R and had to cross 21L to get to the east side parking, no issues with that.

Approach and tower both did great work. East and west side frequencies for approach, tower and ground worked great.

It would be great to see the "official" numbers for aircraft operations and attendance.

I talked with PSA and Mesa there and it seems that the criteria for hiring is now down to 1475 hrs and a pulse....! They both get you your ATP in training.
Maybe I should apply? I'm already 60, they can abouse me for 4+ years.

I don't know about Mesa, but technically you can interview at PSA around 1200 hrs and assuming you aren't a complete idiot, they'll offer you the job and you tell them when you'll have the rest of the hours needed.

Some others will interview even lower.

The regionals simply aren't filling their classes right now.

One thing that I found interesting was that PSA Airlines had a pilot recruiting booth set up staffed by a very nice looking young lady who is a Captain for the airlines.
Was her name Valarie?

Wish I could have made it. Work (both the kind that I get paid for and the other kind that I don't) got in the way.

I went, it was a good time except for the fact that i got vectored to the east immediately after checking in at ash fork, 45 minutes later i was cleared to land 21R. 1:10 flight from SGU total flight time was a tick over 2 hours. Ill have to pull the flight path from the 730 and show the wacky vectors i received.

I went, it was a good time except for the fact that i got vectored to the east immediately after checking in at ash fork, 45 minutes later i was cleared to land 21R. 1:10 flight from SGU total flight time was a tick over 2 hours. Ill have to pull the flight path from the 730 and show the wacky vectors i received.
I checked in over Ash Fork and was not given any delay instructions. About 8 miles south I was turned east. Total delay vectors of about 15 minutes. We were on the ground before 9am. Total flight time from VGT, around the class B (over Nellis), then Peach Springs to Ash Fork, just a tick over 2 hours engine start to shutdown.

ATC had their hands full with pilots that had poor or zero radio discipline. Could not navigate, lined up on the wrong airport. And once on the ground could not follow simple taxi instructions.

Yeah i was cringing a lot. At one point a guy dropped off the radar the controller came back worried that he crashed, turned out the guy was trying to land at a different airport.

Yeah i was cringing a lot. At one point a guy dropped off the radar the controller came back worried that he crashed, turned out the guy was trying to land at a different airport.
Yes, I was on freq when that happened. It did not get any better on the ground. He could not follow taxi instructions. He landed just ahead of me. I think he was thinking his aircraft was going on display. But he was a day late for that. And many dollars short in navigation and radio work.

We came in about 8am Sat, flight of two, from Phoenix. It was busy, but no delays. Tower was under pressure but did a great job. The show was very well organized. Good job AOPA!

We came in about 8am Sat, flight of two, from Phoenix. It was busy, but no delays. Tower was under pressure but did a great job. The show was very well organized. Good job AOPA!

Ok, curious - what kind of training did you need to fly together? Did you land simultaneously? How does that work?

Any "formation" flying requires preparation and discussion. Our flight of 2 was not "tight". All announcing is done by lead plane and #2+ has transponder off, so ATC doesn't have proximity alarms driving them crazy. Those who study and practice tend to operate closer.
http://www.flyfast.org/sites/all/docs/FAST_FKG.pdf

How close were you?

Were you cleared to land as a group?

We were about 1/4 mile a part and landed such that #1 was clear as #2 landed. I believe group landings are an option, but obviously raises the ante a bunch as far and skill and planning are concerned.

Back