AOPA membership

Phillip

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Phillip
Is AOPA membership like the NRA membership, you support them on the importance of the main issue alone while getting constantly bombarded by whining and wine club invitations? I havn't being a pilot for a year and already got pitched to join AOPA for the second time. Exactly what would AOPA do for me?

Take your money,solicite for more services,constantly bombard you with mailings,And occasionally work for the benefit of GA.

I joined as a student pilot. After researching the organization I'm not sure I'm going to reup with them. It's a nominal fee but between their bloated salaries and panhandling emails, not sure I want to support that. Going to look into EAA.

They keep Vietnamese hat manufacturers in business.

There are a few decent perks available through your membership. I've used the Pilot Information Center a few times and found the folks I talk to there very competent and helpful. The forums are some of the same folk you can find here, but the bonus is access to Dr. Bruce.

There are a few decent perks available through your membership. I've used the Pilot Information Center a few times and found the folks I talk to there very competent and helpful. The forums are some of the same folk you can find here, but the bonus is access to Dr. Bruce.

Access to Dr. Bruce is through his phone and email. AOPA does nothing for that.

And occasionally work for the benefit of GA.

To continue with analogy I support NRA because my 2A rights are being threatened pretty much all the time. So I tolerate the nuisance of panhandling and spam for their lobbying efforts. Is GA also under attack? What exactly is there to fight for in this seemingly conflict free world of hobbyists and enthusiasts of low tech flight?

Access to Dr. Bruce is through his phone and email. AOPA does nothing for that.

For personal items, yes.

But the public part of others asking questions and him dispensing what we need to know to properly interface with CAMI is something I find of value.

Is GA also under attack? What exactly is there to fight for in this seemingly conflict free world of hobbyists and enthusiasts of low tech flight?
Maybe not as well known as 2nd Amendment issues, but there have been a few issues that have come up in recent past that caused AOPA to get all up in the Legislature's grille. User Fees was one.

I've been an AOPA member for about 25 years. Is it worth it? Yes, I think so. If it was $300 a year maybe not, but it's cheap. I do pay more for the legal/medical plan, but I really should drop that, as I recieve better services from my employer.

I'm a member because as a pilot and airplane owner I like having my voice in Congress. Anyone who is familiar with lobby groups in any industry will know that the salaries are hefty, but you get a level of professionalism and expertise that would otherwise be lost to the for-profit sector. Now, with that said, they still have plenty of room for improvement, but there is really no better group out there. EAA isn't bad either, but they are a completely different type of action group and there is not a lot of overlap between the two.

Personally, I feel that belonging to AOPA and/or EAA is important. (hopefully not derailing the thread) I don't see 2A rights being attacked, but I have seen real attacks on GA from both the left and the right. Not very many of us crazy fly-boys (and girls) so we can't be silent. Events like Harrison Ford ditching on a golf course quickly get blown out of proportion as "a terrible airplane crash" makes good headlines. (Even when the TV helicopter flies over dead bodies from a car accident and a gun point hold up at the local convince store. Sad thing is - that probably happened.)

Between some of the website extras, red board, DC support and the airplane raffle ticket, it is a good value..

To continue with analogy I support NRA because my 2A rights are being threatened pretty much all the time. So I tolerate the nuisance of panhandling and spam for their lobbying efforts. Is GA also under attack? What exactly is there to fight for in this seemingly conflict free world of hobbyists and enthusiasts of low tech flight?

No, your 2nd Amendment rights are not threatened all the time, unless you read the propaganda put forth by the NRA as they ask yo for more money to spread their misinformation that causes you to mistakenly believe your 2nd Amendment rights are being threatened. It is one big, endless loop for the NRA to fleece you from your $$$$ and build big office buildings and pay their employees outrageous, unearned salaries.

No, your 2nd Amendment rights are not threatened all the time, unless you read the propaganda put forth by the NRA as they ask yo for more money to spread their misinformation that causes you to mistakenly believe your 2nd Amendment rights are being threatened. It is one big, endless loop for the NRA to fleece you from your $$$$ and build big office buildings and pay their employees outrageous, unearned salaries.

Oh brother.... This could derail quickly.

I'll get beat all to hell, but I do like AOPA's training modules on their website.

None of which I mind since they put legislators in my corner on the issue of the singular importance to me.. While I can name at least several attempts by various malfeasant parties to curtail the rights that were not meant to be infringed just last year, who can tell me of a single topic in GA that was recently legislated and I should be ringing up my congressman about?

Not sure where you are at - but check the airports in your area. Here in Arkansas, there has been more airport construction than most areas, but it doesn't make much sense having a license and no airports. Depending upon where you are - this is a never ending threat.

The political nut jobs are fiddling with the idea of privatizing the FAA again. Not so sure this is a good idea (look to Canada for what it might turn into).

User fees appear to be off the table again...

With every crash (or not crash - what we would call a forced landing), the media goes nuts trying to make a story of nothing. AOPA seems to do ok trying to get in front of that.

Your cash, your choice. NRA has some good training courses too, but I really don't see what they are selling - so i spend my dough with AOPA. Might add EAA -- they tend to have some focus on oldies like mine..

Last edited:

a full response to your ignorance would require access to the spinzone.

But a short response: you are simply not paying attention (NY "SAFE", Chicago, DC, Colordo, etc etc etc etc).

Now back to praising/bashing the value of AOPA membership.

I havn't being a pilot for a year and already got pitched to join AOPA for the second time. Exactly what would AOPA do for me?

They are aggressive in renewing memberships. I called and complained to them about the ridiculous amount of mail I got from them. Three months after my first membership renewed, I started getting mail about my renewal being almost up. They apologized and said they would take care of it. Since then, the amount of mail has been greatly reduced.

I'm a member because as a pilot and airplane owner I like having my voice in Congress. Anyone who is familiar with lobby groups in any industry will know that the salaries are hefty, but you get a level of professionalism and expertise that would otherwise be lost to the for-profit sector. Now, with that said, they still have plenty of room for improvement, but there is really no better group out there. EAA isn't bad either, but they are a completely different type of action group and there is not a lot of overlap between the two.

+1
I am a member too.

I think the magazine is decent for those new to aviation, after you've read a couple of years' worth of issues, the topics get recycled often and it loses its luster. I do think AOPA focuses too much on the Jet-A side of GA, which is important, but has other organizations (NBAA) to fight for them. I mainly want AOPA to start catering more to the average Joe, who owns/flies a Champ, old 182, or Aztruck, instead of throwing out reviews on the new $400K 172 like any of the AOPA members are looking to go that route.

They do have a decent legal/medical services plan available to members, which could be worth it if needed. I consider it a decent value for the small amount of money it costs per year, but if it gets much higher I'll probably drop them.

I've been a member since I was a student. I think they do a good job of pushing GA towards new pilots and students. Their student version of the magazine has some good info - it can get repetitive, though. The safety seminars they put on a couple times a year and their on-line safety videos and knowledge tests are pretty good. As far as GA lobbying goes, I think AOPA could do a better job of advertising just what it does for us. I'm sure part of it is my fault for not paying more attention. Their medical info line and other phone accessible information services are pretty good, too.

You can ask the NRA and AOPA to stop sending you stuff, and they will stop.

Here's my thing, although I know that supporting GA advocacy is noble, I'm not altruistic enough to keep my membership going for that reason alone. The main reason (actually the whole reason) I joined AOPA in the first place was to gain access to Internet weather and flight planning tools, which at the time, were only available through AOPA and maybe one or two other paid services. Of course since, all of that stuff is available free.

I've been a member since 1962 for the reasons you state. I get no solicitations.

Bob Gardner

Lots of training materials and stuff that, if you use it, forces you to stay current with the theoretical aspects of flying.

And the car rental discounts combined with the free membership in the Last Minute Travel Club make up for the membership fee, many times over.

Just a single point of notice, the last time I used a car rental agency and had a cookie on my browser from AOPA the rental price actually went UP. I verified this by clearing the cookies from AOPA and booked the exact same car, same time, same location. This was several years ago, and a number of others confirmed my findings. Do not know if this is still the case through Enterprise and Avis. Marriott hotel chain did the same thing for a while, but I believe they stopped doing that after some complaints from long time Marriott rewards members. Just note, if you think you are gaining some financial leverage by using AOPA, best to double, or triple check independently. I've found that most large travel chains will match price, or better a price from a discount link if you call and ask.

YMMV.

Everything that guy just said is bullsp1t.

I'll get beat all to hell, but I do like AOPA's training modules on their website.

THIS:yeahthat:

I don't care if a guy joins or not. I've been on both sides myself. But it's undeniable as a pilot/owner that you're benefiting from AOPA's presence and efforts. That's good enough reason for me to continue supporting them.

Everything that guy just said is bullsp1t.

Then you don't pay attention to your mailbox (inbox) of all the pleas for money to fight the boogie-man conjured up by the NRA.

You don't think they build expensive office buildings for their overpaid employees?

nra-building0.jpg

None of which I mind since they put legislators in my corner on the issue of the singular importance to me.. While I can name at least several attempts by various malfeasant parties to curtail the rights that were not meant to be infringed just last year, who can tell me of a single topic in GA that was recently legislated and I should be ringing up my congressman about?

Any bets on the correlation to NRA rated "A" legislators and the legislators in Indiana that are killing their state's business environment?

Single issue "voters" blindly following the NRA score cards are the easiest voters to fleece.

Access to the Air Safety Foundation stuff is well worth the price of admission in my eye...

JoseCuervo, you don't like NRA. We get it.

Now would you please go and lay by your dish until the urge to hijack threads passes? "Rude" is probably the kindest adjective that can be applied to your behavior.

Then you don't pay attention to your mailbox (inbox) of all the pleas for money to fight the boogie-man conjured up by the NRA.

You don't think they build expensive office buildings for their overpaid employees?

nra-building0.jpg

How much of that building does NRA occupy?

Can I take my legally open holstered .45 auto across the Ben Franklin bridge into New Jersey and not face a 10 year "weapons" charge?

JoseCuervo, you don't like NRA. We get it.

Now would you please go and lay by your dish until the urge to hijack threads passes? "Rude" is probably the kindest adjective that can be applied to your behavior.

But but but ... some of us actually like Jose Cuervo.
Granted, we prefer the liquid form ... but still ... I think my point stands. :D
Now where is the 5 o'clock smiley?? :confused:

I am a member.. But I'd appreciate them a lot more if they can get 3rd class med reform pushed thru.. :)

Hey, I'm a dues paying member of the USA, too, and it's the government that's holding up medical reform. Assign blame where blame is due. AOPA is the best tool we have to advance it but they can't fix a broken congress.

Back