AOPA Magazine App

Funkeruski

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Funkeruski
Does anyone else have problems with this app on their ipad? I was excited when this came out and switched my subscription to the digital version, but the app sucks donkey balls. The magazine hardly ever downloads properly. Some pages don't download at all. Then, it takes a long time for the text to focus. If Zinio can get it right, why can AOPA figure out their app. Really ****ing me off. Thanks, and I'll hang up and listen. :mad2:

If you think it's bad now, you should have seen it when it was first released.

I don't seem to have your problems. Are you reading online or downloading issues? I've found that if you are reading online vs offline ("read" instead of "download") the app is intolerant of slow connections. At home on my >15Mbps connection it is flawless. On typical 3G connection, not so much. I don't typically download issues for later viewing.

Last edited:
You put an AOPA app on your phone?

aaaaaaaahhhhahhahhhahahaaaaahahhahhahhahahaaaahahhahahhhhahahahhaaaaaaa!!

Sigh -- I keel myself.

I have the AOPA app on my Gen1 iPad.
I download first then read. Give it a chance to stabilize after the download.
Reading is fine, retrieving the videos takes a while to load, but it works.
All download etc is over the home wifi.
Not tried it on 3G.

Does anyone else have problems with this app on their ipad? I was excited when this came out and switched my subscription to the digital version, but the app sucks donkey balls. The magazine hardly ever downloads properly. Some pages don't download at all. Then, it takes a long time for the text to focus. If Zinio can get it right, why can AOPA figure out their app. Really ****ing me off. Thanks, and I'll hang up and listen. :mad2:

Ditto. Same experience. The service sucks.

I am just glad the paper copy occasionally shows up, so I can read about how that Husky flew somewhere...

I've been using it since they released it. I've had a number of issues, but not so bad that I hate it. I've experienced all your described issues at one time or another. The only one that bugs me are the blank pages that never download. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm about 4 months behind in reading issues right now.

I switched to the app version last fall, I found out I don't like reading magazines on my iPad!:mad2: I called AOPA they cancelled my online subscription and sent me paper copies of the two issues that I had downloaded. I couldn't be happier with the paper version, sits right next to my seat in the smallest room in my house. :D

Back