AOPA Lobbying Effectiveness

airdale

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
airdale
I have long since quit AOPA over their greed and profligacy, but one question I have always wondered about was whether their lobbying was really effective or not. When I received it, the magazine was always packed with self-promotional puffery but I didn't/don't know about any third-party evaluations.

Lately I have been reading The Hill (http://thehill.com/) It's kind of interesting to see what concerns the inside-the-beltway denizens. Today The Hill published its lists of top lobbyists, including:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mark Baker , Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association.
Baker is the drumbeat behind the often-overlooked general aviation industry in Washington using his experience as a 36-year flight veteran to tout private jets in the Capitol.

A few of interesting things here.

• Baker is in the "Associations" list with organizations like PHARMA and the Business Roundtable rather than "Grass Roots" list with NRA, the ACLU, etc.
  • NBAA is not on the lists as far as I can tell
  • "... to tout private jets" ??
So, I guess I still don't know how AOPA is viewed. Hopefully not as a private jet tout representing big corporations.

That's just it even if they have clout they don't represent me.

• Baker is in the "Associations" list with organizations like PHARMA and the Business Roundtable rather than "Grass Roots" list with NRA, the ACLU, etc.
So, I guess I still don't know how AOPA is viewed. Hopefully not as a private jet tout representing big corporations.

I laugh when somebody describes NRA as "grassroots". The NRA has long been bought and paid for by the gun manufacturers and is primarily interested in increasing sales of guns on behalf of gun manufacturers.

Not being associated with the NRA is a good thing.

The NRA has long been bought and paid for by the gun manufacturers and is primarily interested in increasing sales of guns on behalf of gun manufacturers.
Actually, that's factually incorrect. If you go to guidestar.org and register (free and without hassles) you can download the NRA tax return and see that the money comes primarily from members. Your misunderstanding is fairly common and popular among the "don't bother me with facts, my mind is made up" crowd. That's probably where you got it.

Nothing wrong if you don't like the NRA but, as they say, you're entitled to your own opinions but you're not entitled to your own facts.

But this thread is not about NRA.

Edit: For those who may not know: All nonprofits' tax returns are public record and available free at guidestar.org. Want to see the tax return for a flying club? It's probably there. Want to see how big the AOPA cash hoard was at the end of 2013? It'll be there, though they are always late filers and it's not there yet.

Last edited:
Whether the AOPA is especially good at lobbying on our behalf or not, the unfortunate fact remains that they are the only ones lobbying at all on our behalf. Even if you don't like them, you think they're idiots, you think the spend too much money on themselves, etc... they're still the only ones with any voice on our behalf.

I think the NRA is a little over the top sometimes. I hate their emails. I think their approach is not very good at times. But guess what... there is nobody else lobbying for responsible gun owners. Like them or not, they're the only ones in our corner.

No aopa does not lobby for me, they lobby against grassroots GA. The only voice crap doesn't matter if they speak against my interests.

Actually, that's factually incorrect. If you go to guidestar.org and register (free and without hassles) you can download the NRA tax return and see that the money comes primarily from members. Your misunderstanding is fairly common and popular among the "don't bother me with facts, my mind is made up" crowd. That's probably where you got it.

Nothing wrong if you don't like the NRA but, as they say, you're entitled to your own opinions but you're not entitled to your own facts.

But this thread is not about NRA.

Thank you for stating the truth. It is the millions of individual MEMBERS that make the NRA a good lobbying organization.

I laugh when somebody describes NRA as "grassroots". The NRA has long been bought and paid for by the gun manufacturers and is primarily interested in increasing sales of guns on behalf of gun manufacturers.

Not being associated with the NRA is a good thing.

Typical misinformation from an anti-gun freak.

Typical misinformation from an anti-gun freak.

Hardly an anti-gun freak. I have more guns than I can remember. Got two of them behind the seat of my PU this morning.

Just don't see where the NRA represents my interests at any level, certainly not at a "grassroots" level. I have a buddy that has a small manufacturing facility making AR15's, and he loves the NRA and their scare tactics of their ill-informed membership, he laughs all the way to the bank each month.

But toss out whatever labels you need to make your mind up without facts.

Thank you for stating the truth. It is the millions of individual MEMBERS that make the NRA a good lobbying organization.

It is the millions of members that make Wayne LaPierre's life comfortable and filled with riches beyond your wildest imagination.

437779631_3f8fb5c12e.jpg

Hardly an anti-gun freak. I have more guns than I can remember. Got two of them behind the seat of my PU this morning.

Just don't see where the NRA represents my interests at any level, certainly not at a "grassroots" level. I have a buddy that has a small manufacturing facility making AR15's, and he loves the NRA and their scare tactics of their ill-informed membership, he laughs all the way to the bank each month.

But toss out whatever labels you need to make your mind up without facts.

Go read Bloomberg, the Dem Party platform, and "Mothers against illegal guns", or whatever they are called this week, and read their agenda. It is headed right to confiscation of legally owned guns as the end result. The NRA is one of the few organizations that fight this crap, and yes they represent me. While in the past I have thought they went overboard, but not today. That is all I will say as this is not spin zone.

AOPA is not nearly as effective as the NRA.

Go read Bloomberg, the Dem Party platform, and "Mothers against illegal guns", or whatever they are called this week, and read their agenda. It is headed right to confiscation of legally owned guns as the end result. The NRA is one of the few organizations that fight this crap, and yes they represent me. While in the past I have thought they went overboard, but not today. That is all I will say as this is not spin zone.

Bloomberg is a business wire service, constantly publishing stories. I can't read Bloomberg as it publishes stories quicker than I can read.

Please provide the links/sources/cites that the Dem Party platform is "headed right to confiscation of legally owned guns".

Not sure what "Mothers against illegal guns" is, but I would hope all moms (and dads) are against illegal guns. Are you against illegal guns?

JoseCuervo, please take your rants onto your own thread. I opened this thread because I was interested to hear people's opinions on The Hill's list, not because I wanted 1/3 of the total posts to be off-topic nonsense from you.

Bloomberg is a business wire service, constantly publishing stories. I can't read Bloomberg as it publishes stories quicker than I can read.

Please provide the links/sources/cites that the Dem Party platform is "headed right to confiscation of legally owned guns".

Not sure what "Mothers against illegal guns" is, but I would hope all moms (and dads) are against illegal guns. Are you against illegal guns?

Angling to reintroduce gun control into public discourse ahead of November's elections, the group bankrolled by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Tuesday announced endorsements in more than 100 state and federal races.

Everytown for Gun Safety - yoking the Bloomberg-funded Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America - is backing candidates who "have shown leadership in the fight to keep our communities safe from gun violence," said John Feinblatt, the group's president. Several on the list, including Sens. Kay Hagan, D-North Carolina, and Mary Landrieu, D-Louisiana, face tough contests that could decide control of the Senate.

The organization also plans to run television ads in Illinois and Oregon featuring family members of high-profile shootings, and over the next three weeks will take its message on the road with a "Gun Sense Voter" tour.

Google is your friend. You can look up the rest. The Dems party platform is for expanded, mandatory registration/licensing which always leads to confiscation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-bloomberg-led-gun-control-group-announces-ads-endorsements/

Not sure on how AOPA is viewed or how effective they are, but +1 for using "profligacy" - had to look that one up.

Maybe we should start installing machine guns on our aircraft and get the NRA to come defend our right to fly. I'd guess people would be a little more careful about cutting people off in the pattern. It would also have the bonus side effect of making a discussion of the NRA appropriate for the Flight Following forum.

Google is your friend. You can look up the rest. The Dems party platform is for expanded, mandatory registration/licensing which always leads to confiscation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-bloomberg-led-gun-control-group-announces-ads-endorsements/

So there really isn't any link to the Dem Party platform on confiscation? Didn't think so, but, I am guessing the NRA has convinced you otherwise.

These guys all look stable....

opencarrytexas.jpg

Just what we all want to see outside our local Olive Garden.

So there really isn't any link to the Dem Party platform on confiscation? Didn't think so, but, I am guessing the NRA has convinced you otherwise.

I don't need the NRA to tell me that universal registration leads to confiscation. I can look at the UK, Australia, and other countries to tell me that.

opencarrytexas.jpg

Just what we all want to see outside our local Olive Garden.[/QUOTE]

How often do you see scenes like this? It is VERY rare, and usually do to a rally or counter rally. Did they cause any crime, become violent, or intimidating? NO.

Ooooh, look at the scary LEGALLY OWNED AND CARRIED GUNS. Oh, I am so afraid. :rolleyes:

A few of interesting things here.

. .

JoseCuervo, please take your rants onto your own thread. I opened this thread because I was interested to hear people's opinions on The Hill's list, not because I wanted 1/3 of the total posts to be off-topic nonsense from you.

You seemed to want to compare the AOPA effectiveness to the NRA, but don't like seeing the failures/problems with the NRA?

Like I said, not being lumped in with the NRA should be a good thing for the AOPA.

As an individual member of the AOPA, you feel like you might have some sort of an advocate on the other end if you call. The NRA has purposely tried to silence individuals (except for cashing their checks for "dues") as they cater to gun manufacturers.

I don't see AOPA catering to the airplane manufacturers.

I don't need the NRA to tell me that universal registration leads to confiscation. I can look at the UK, Australia, and other countries to tell me that.

opencarrytexas.jpg

Just what we all want to see outside our local Olive Garden.

How often do you see scenes like this? It is VERY rare, and usually do to a rally or counter rally. Did they cause any crime, become violent, or intimidating? NO.

Ooooh, look at the scary LEGALLY OWNED AND CARRIED GUNS. Oh, I am so afraid. :rolleyes:

Legal does not mean safe.

Pretty sure I wouldn't go to that Olive Garden with those nutcases standing outside playing with their guns. Plenty of other places to get soup, salad, and breadsticks for $8.

New topic: Ideas for getting JoseCuervo to go away. Anybody?

If you don't want to join the AOPA, I always suggest donating to the AOPA Political Action Committee.

Unlike the AOPA itself, the PAC can contribute directly to GA friendly political candidates. Like it or not, direct contributions make a big difference to the representatives you voted for.

It's my opinion that personal ownership of small airplanes would be regulated out of existence without the AOPA, EAA, and NBAA.

I assume AOPA effectiveness is limited by it's relatively small size. The NRA has 5 million members and AOPA has less than 400,000 (which seems really good since there is less the 600,000 pilots in the US, 480,000 if you don't count the student pilots). That's not a lot of votes or $$$.

As a Benefactor member of the NRA and a member of AOPA I like to see both of them active in promoting the interests of their members. I suspect the NRA is more successful than AOPA simply because of their greatly superior numbers. But, then, how often does AOPA get their members involved enough to contact their congresscritters, not to mention local and state politicians. That is a key to success.

Legal does not mean safe.

Pretty sure I wouldn't go to that Olive Garden with those nutcases standing outside playing with their guns. Plenty of other places to get soup, salad, and breadsticks for $8.

Jose,

Go crawl back in your hole or under your rock. It's safe there.

Not sure the AOPA does enough for grass roots aviation,that's why I joined EAA,between the two I figure I am getting some representation. It's all about the money.

Back