AOPA Forums Coming Back

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet, but I didn't see it, but on AOPA's homepage I saw this:

New and improved! The AOPA message boards will be returning on July 5 with more dynamic software and conference areas to fit every need. Stop by the boards then and enjoy the company of other pilots.

About time they updated the guess since blowing the "third week in June" time frame.

I kind of like my new home here, AOPA has been down to long. I think I will just stay here.:yes:

Dean said:
I kind of like my new home here, AOPA has been down to long. I think I will just stay here.:yes:

That's kinda how I feel.

Judy

I may check out the new AOPA board, but I'm not leaving here. This has been great.

I'll stay here. This is a very pleasant little home with good neighbors that have been around a long while and you don't have to think about your shotgun while sitting in a comfortable Adirondack chair under the shade tree having a chat with your friends.

That said, unless it's prohibitive software wise (dialup here) or hooligans I'll go back. I liked the new blood that kept showing up there on a very regular basis. We get some of that here but not near enough like the old AOPA board did. I learn more and have to think about my methods in more detail when there are new students or PP+ that have gone up the wrong path on something.

I think the extended delay actually helps the AOPA board more than hurts it. Anyone that was previously lobbing grenades around the room and waiting for the 6 week timer to hit zero to start causing grief again might have gotten tired of waiting so long after it was supposed to be back up and wandered off for good. Just IMO anyway.

I'll take both while I still have internet access and openings in my schedule. Best of both worlds IMO.

I left the AOPA board about a month before it was shut down. I liked it, but I like it here best.

fgcason said:
That said, unless it's prohibitive software wise (dialup here) .....

I am one of the folks they asked to help test the software. Write some posts, click on a bunch of links, etc. The software is the same as here. Not quite as "tweaked" as the guys have customized it for us here. Navigating through the message board is the same.

I'll probably read both. I have my system down so that I can whip through it fairly quickly.

wangmyers said:
I left the AOPA board about a month before it was shut down. I liked it, but I like it here best.

Did I miss something, Ben? Did you do the checkride?

fgcason said:
I'll stay here. This is a very pleasant little home with good neighbors that have been around a long while and you don't have to think about your shotgun while sitting in a comfortable Adirondack chair under the shade tree having a chat with your friends.

That said, unless it's prohibitive software wise (dialup here) or hooligans I'll go back. I liked the new blood that kept showing up there on a very regular basis. We get some of that here but not near enough like the old AOPA board did. I learn more and have to think about my methods in more detail when there are new students or PP+ that have gone up the wrong path on something.

I think the extended delay actually helps the AOPA board more than hurts it. Anyone that was previously lobbing grenades around the room and waiting for the 6 week timer to hit zero to start causing grief again might have gotten tired of waiting so long after it was supposed to be back up and wandered off for good. Just IMO anyway.

I'll take both while I still have internet access and openings in my schedule. Best of both worlds IMO.

Frank, you are perceptive. Here, it IS like sitting around the porch as opposed to sitting in the big hanger over there.

I'm staying put. These guys do a great Job. Even when they have had to reign me in a bit. I had it coming;-)

The only important question to me is, "will be moderated?"

That is THE main difference between here and there.

It has made a WORLD of difference.

I'll venture a guess and say some will go back to AOPA, some will stay, but most will flop back and forth. I really don't think you can find a better home and since they ponied up when AOPA just shut down, it's a good place to stake out your territory. AOPA has been down for months. This is a better place. So the question is: why switch?

silver-eagle said:
So the question is: why switch?

Depends on your reason for being here. If your reason is to engage in self entertainment, I would suggest that there really isn't any reason to switch back to AOPA's webboard. However, if your reason for being here is to foster aviation then I would say that switching back to AOPA is the better choice. The new members you mentioned need encouragement, guidance, and answers to questions Those new members find AOPA's webboard much more readily than they find this webboard due to AOPA's name and market presence. The experienced pilots on the AOPA webboard (and I mean that in the broadest sense in that everyone has some experience they can offer) have a greater opportunity to nurture and promote aviation amongst the neophytes than the opportunity to be found on this webboard.

I'll need to come into work a bit earlier. I will be using both boards, although I predict that I will be more active here than there. Bet I won't be posting in any political threads "over there" either. This is a nice and comfortable place and I agree with all who liken it to an Adirondack Chair on the front porch in a good neighborhood.

Jim G

Carol said:
I am one of the folks they asked to help test the software. Write some posts, click on a bunch of links, etc. The software is the same as here.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!

Sorry.

I love this board, but I do not love the software.

First of all, I can't get posts by e-mail like I could with the old AOPA board which has severely limited my ability to read and post.

Second, there doesn't seem to be a good "mark read" feature, so this board takes longer because I have to sift through all of the old posts in a thread to get to the new ones.

:-(

flyingcheesehead said:
Second, there doesn't seem to be a good "mark read" feature, so this board takes longer because I have to sift through all of the old posts in a thread to get to the new ones.

:-(
Must be a Mac thing. ;)

View First Unread at the top of each thread takes me straight to the first one I haven't read. Same with the little down arrow next to each thread title in Recent Activity...which shows me the activity that's happened since I was last here.

flyingcheesehead said:
First of all, I can't get posts by e-mail like I could with the old AOPA board which has severely limited my ability to read and post.
I'm not alone in asking vBulletin to look at this feature. I'm waiting until 3.5.0 comes out, however, to try and make my own modification, because that will be much easier.

That will change when 3.5.0 is released.

Ed Guthrie said:
Depends on your reason for being here. If your reason is to engage in self entertainment, I would suggest that there really isn't any reason to switch back to AOPA's webboard. However, if your reason for being here is to foster aviation then I would say that switching back to AOPA is the better choice. The new members you mentioned need encouragement, guidance, and answers to questions Those new members find AOPA's webboard much more readily than they find this webboard due to AOPA's name and market presence. The experienced pilots on the AOPA webboard (and I mean that in the broadest sense in that everyone has some experience they can offer) have a greater opportunity to nurture and promote aviation amongst the neophytes than the opportunity to be found on this webboard.

I think Ed G. has hit the nail on the head. We must ask ourselves what these boards are really here for. I know when I started flying three years ago the AOPA board and the pilots that participated answered a ton of questions for me. The knowledge that students and young pilots can gain from these boards is invaluable. I believe there is room for both and I'll find the time to read both.

I really do enjoy the porch feeling here. When I was learning to fly, at a small grass field. I use to sit on a little patio next to the operations shack with the old timers,( maybe 30 or older) I was a young 15 year old line boy asking a thousand questions about flying. I learned so much from these pilots. Now as an older pilot I find that I learn so much by just "listening" to what others have experience in their flying experiences.

Thanks to the POA mangement for making this board a nice place to be. I think I will hang out on the porch just like I did when I was young.

John J

FYI I've received word from Robert at AOPA that the "go live" of the new-and-improved AOPA forums will be this afternoon. When they are officially opened, we'll be posting a News announcement here with the new URL to use.

Weird. It kind of feels 'unfinished' after all the stuff that's been added/changed here. And where are all the rules that we heard about? I guess I expected something different.

And WOW...that's REALLY red! :D

Been there. Registered. Posted.

Sort of like it here with my homies. We'll see how it develops. Already seen one comment (I only read, maybe, five posts?) obliquely slamming POA.

Inauspicious.

===

By the way, that *is* red!

Last edited:
Let me say that I know PoA was not trying to replace the AOPA forums (or WebBoard), just fill in for us while we were gone, and maintain a community of users that were used to each other.

At the same, we are not trying to get rid of PoA now that we are back up and running. I feel that both forums can coexist while focusing on slightly different areas. I have seen that the political and other Hangar Talk questions have out numbered the aviation questions on this site. Since these types of threads were the reason that the AOPA Webboard received as much attention as it did, I would like to keep the AOPA Forums focused on aviation topics. This does not mean that political post are banned, just that other (aviation) posts are more encouraged.

I am not typing an offical view of AOPA, just my own personal views, but I would like to see all members happy, and talkative in both areas. I will stop by here from time to time, but I will now be more focused on the AOPA forums, and can always be reached by email or by phone. :cheerswine:
Robert

Brian Austin said:
Weird. It kind of feels 'unfinished' after all the stuff that's been added/changed here. And where are all the rules that we heard about? I guess I expected something different.

And WOW...that's REALLY red! :D

I just went over and looked around. I'm working in a very dark radiology reading room and my eyes are accomadated. That red hurt. I'm not trying to be nit picky or negative, but constructive. I found it distracting and hard on my eyes. Maybe in a bright environment it wouldn't be a problem.

I'm going back to AOPA but will monitor POA. I find a lot fewer opprtunities to help folks with mechanical problems here on POA than I did on AOPA. There are also fewer interesting "places to fly" discussions here. I also did not like the fact that when my computer lost my POA password and the passwords I use everywhere wouldn't work I couldn't get on for a month or so. Inquiries went unanswered. I finally signed up again under my wife's email address. Charlie Melot

zephyr said:
Inquiries went unanswered. I finally signed up again under my wife's email address. Charlie Melot
Inquiries to where? Both Chuck and I monitor the support@pilotsofamerica.com account. Between the two of us, it rarely goes more than 24 hours without getting checked (probably shorter than that on average).

Echo that - I didn't get any inquiries either Charlie. Where did you send them? First I heard of your problem was after you registered with the new account.

Back