AOPA Fly In - Sante Fe?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Anyone going to this? My dad and I are thinking about going to this. I've never been to a fly in. I can't do the 14th so I would fly in on the 15th.

I will be there. I live close by, so not sure if I will fly or drive.

Man what a disappointment. Only one person?!?

Not worth the flight from Denver, when we had the flyin at COS last year, and a trip to SAF aint no big deal. Besides, the hotels have really raised the prices in the past couple months. I booked a hotel room shortly after the location was announced, but had to cancel last month. Price of the room doubled.

Not worth the flight from Denver, when we had the flyin at COS last year, and a trip to SAF aint no big deal. Besides, the hotels have really raised the prices in the past couple months. I booked a hotel room shortly after the location was announced, but had to cancel last month. Price of the room doubled.

I could see Santa Fe doing that with room prices that are already high.

Okay...thanks folks.

Not sure if this is the "intelligent" choice but I'm hoping to attend at least one of those days. I live in Albuquerque and fly (not nearly enough lately) from SAF so I don't really have an excuse not to drive up there.

Maybe it's just me but I have no desire to fly in to any big AOPA or EAA fly-in anywhere. Bryan's video of flying into OSH pretty much outlines why. I've done two in the past and had similar pucker. In the future, if I attend, I'll drive.

AOPA is coming to Carbondale in October, I may have to check that one out...from the ground.

I'm thinking I might go, depending on schedule details that won't be clear until a little closer.

I'm thinking I might go, depending on schedule details that won't be clear until a little closer.

Yea we will see...I'm going to be in Alaska the week before. I wouldn't be able to make Friday, so if we go we would fly in Saturday morning.

Damn, such attitudes.

When I was still living in Chicago land, I flew down to the Indy area for the AOPA fly-in at Indianapolis Regional (MQJ) in 2014. Just haven't had the opportunity to go to one since. I am tempted though to go to Gulf Shores in October for the one there.

The one I went to was a fun event but they are not Oshkosh or Sun-n-Fun and thus are not worth a long flight, imo. My previous silence on this thread had nothing to do with anything but that fact. I'm sure it is the same with most others. Unless you are somewhat close by, the AOPA fly-ins are not on most folk's radar. But if you are within a few hours, I think it is worth it.

It's about a 3:30 flight for me, give or take, and my wife's cousin lives in Santa Fe so that's a bit of extra incentive. :)

It's about a 3:30 flight for me, give or take, and my wife's cousin lives in Santa Fe so that's a bit of extra incentive. :)

Wow that's not bad. I am closer and it's like 3:50 for me, although I would take a rather indirect route to stay over roads/airports. Direct I think it is closer to 3:20 for me.

Yeah, direct shaves about 20-25 minutes off for me, but a lot of it is over the white mountains and I don't love that. I usually go more or less to Silver City, around the corner of the mountains there a little north of Deming, then up along the river, TCS---ONM. After ONM I'm undecided on whether to go around Sandia on the east side or the west side---may depend on where the clouds are, if any.

Yeah, direct shaves about 20-25 minutes off for me, but a lot of it is over the white mountains and I don't love that. I usually go more or less to Silver City, around the corner of the mountains there a little north of Deming, then up along the river, TCS---ONM. After ONM I'm undecided on whether to go around Sandia on the east side or the west side---may depend on where the clouds are, if any.

Yea I’m not particularly thrilled about the terrain, but there isn’t much option for me to avoid it completely.

Back