AOG at KOUN since 07/09. Looking for referrals.

hindsight2020

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
hindsight2020
Came in to pick up family, and fly back. Stuck with prop that turns but doesn't catch/pop/fire/you know what I mean, since Friday. Thought it was a hot start issue (common with the FI 360 but haven't personally had that issue in all my 8 years with the engine). Had to leave it behind and drive 7 hours back, another person tried it the next day (cold start) to same outcome, so hot start being the issue seems out. Me thinks impulse coupling finally gave up, but who knows what else could be. I don't suspect a FI component breaking, since it started without problem, and ran fine all the way up there.

Contacts provided by Cruise Aviation so far all have been uninterested/unresponsive. Non-revenue airplanes just don't seem worth anybody's time these days. Thankfully the FBO isn't charging me for the ramp stay, otherwise I'd pull the wings and move on from this blasted hobby.

Any local leads willing to work on such a job appreciated. Airnav turned zero mx providers on the field (the one contact affiliated with OU flight department there was candid enough to tell me he wasn't interested in helping due to his plate being full with his day job with OU, it is what it is).

TIA

P.S. Looks like Ozzy's Diner gone for good, unless I missed something.

Yeah, unfortunately Ozzie's Diner didn't make it through the pandemic. A shame since it was a nice breakfast spot. Maybe there's someone at PWA or Sundance (HSD) that could swing down and take a look.

@RussR you have any contacts?

My recommendation was going to be the person that, by the description, you've already talked to (the candid one).

I have also sent this thread on to someone else.

Came in to pick up family, and fly back. Stuck with prop that turns but doesn't catch/pop/fire/you know what I mean, since Friday. Thought it was a hot start issue (common with the FI 360 but haven't personally had that issue in all my 8 years with the engine). Had to leave it behind and drive 7 hours back, another person tried it the next day (cold start) to same outcome, so hot start being the issue seems out. Me thinks impulse coupling finally gave up, but who knows what else could be. I don't suspect a FI component breaking, since it started without problem, and ran fine all the way up there.

Contacts provided by Cruise Aviation so far all have been uninterested/unresponsive. Non-revenue airplanes just don't seem worth anybody's time these days. Thankfully the FBO isn't charging me for the ramp stay, otherwise I'd pull the wings and move on from this blasted hobby.

Any local leads willing to work on such a job appreciated. Airnav turned zero mx providers on the field (the one contact affiliated with OU flight department there was candid enough to tell me he wasn't interested in helping due to his plate being full with his day job with OU, it is what it is).

TIA

Give me a call. I have a number for you. (405) 417-6077

Thank you all who have reached out with contacts. That's what I appreciate about this board. Great resource of good intended people, notwithstanding the few shills that the ignore feature has largely taken care of for me.

@Lawson Laslo your second contact was the ticket. Finally got someone to go out to the airplane. Left mag has been pulled so now waiting for words on the diagnostics. At least we got the ball rolling. Thanks again all. Will update with findings....

POA FTW. :thumbsup:

update:

Yup, ol Occam's Razor. Mechanic pulled left mag immediately and went to work. Hindsight (of course... :D) review of my logbooks reveals the right had been done a few years ago but not the left, which finally came to bite off-station. At any rate, IRAN plus 500hr on the mag (imp coupling was actually ok) and reinstall, boom started right back up according to the mechanic. Now the trek to retrieve the airplane and fly it home.

A big shoutout to Reliable Aircraft Maintenance @ HSD, for coming through with prompt service, transparency and fair pricing, especially as an out of state AOG customer. Class act treatment considering the circumstances. Actually considering making HSD our go-to stop in OKC based on the experience.

And again, thank you all for extending your knowledge base and helping a fellow owner. Cheers!

Back