AOA/Airport Issued ID Badge Used Through Commercial TSA

OCviaMotorCity

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
B. Stanton
Quick question:

I know this sounds silly -- as it could simply be accomplished by providing my driver's license or passport, etc. when I am going through TSA screening at any airport.

However, I hate having things in my pockets as I am getting ready to go through TSA -- so to avoid that issue I was thinking about simply carrying my Airport Issued / AOA Ramp Access badge and providing it to TSA.

I was wondering if anyone had utilized their Airport issued AOA badge / Ramp Access badge as acceptable ID when going through TSA screening?

My home airport is KSNA -- would my badge work only at KSNA or would it work at any airport? The TSA website states that any airport issued ID (at airport with TSA Approved Security Plans) would accept these as ID.

I mean, after all, to obtain this type of ID, you have to provide a valid DL, US passport or other proof of citizenship, and then successfully pass a TSA Security Threat Assessment and Background check.

Any feedback, friends?

Thanks!

It didn't work for me. My AOA ID had the name of the company I flew for on it and it said issued by the state of Alaska.

I was told I needed a state issued ID. I replied this ID is state issued and gets me on the ramp next to the airplane. A good humored TSA guy told me that my AOA ID might get you on the ramp next to the plane, but it won't get you on the plane... :no::lol:

My airline ID would not work if I was a ticketed passenger, only if I was a crew member.

I think TSA personel are trained to only accept certain types of ID. Anything else they do not know about they have to reject. They are not allowed individual thinking.

However, a couple 9/11 terrorist got on the planes with fake airline pilot IDs.

Well, the TSA doesn't really exist to stop terrorism. It's just to make the public feel better.

Can't you just have the ID in your hand and drop in the little bins as you go through the screening process?

It is unreasonable to expect TSA to recognize the validity of one of a few hundred different ramp access badges that are out there. As it is, the probably have little clue on the validity of many of the IDs they look at. Just carry your DL in your hand while you go through.

An AOA SIDA badge is only good at the issuing airport. Pilot and Flight Attendant company badges are good around the world while in uniform.

As a 91K and 135 pilot I've been using my crew badge to use the crew lane while in uniform. If I travel in civilian clothes all perks are off and it's time to dump my liquids and toothpaste and bite my lip while they pat me down.

There is a list on the TSA website of what IDS are acceptable. A local Ramp access badge isn't what I'd call an ID either. I'd put it on par with a school ID or work badge. Means nothing really.

There is a list on the TSA website of what IDS are acceptable. A local Ramp access badge isn't what I'd call an ID either. I'd put it on par with a school ID or work badge. Means nothing really.
And that list includes "Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)." If TSA wants to further define what it mean by that, it can do so. Since it hasn't, we should be able to expect them to follow what they publish.

If you think it should be a valid ID, ask for the ground security coordinator to respond. He/she will decide the case on the spot.

But I have to ask, why all the drama? Is it principal you don't want to show your DL, you want to feel special by showing an airport ID or you principally disagree with their ID policies?

I just don't see the value in the fight really.

Quick question:

I know this sounds silly -- as it could simply be accomplished by providing my driver's license or passport, etc. when I am going through TSA screening at any airport.

However, I hate having things in my pockets as I am getting ready to go through TSA -- so to avoid that issue I was thinking about simply carrying my Airport Issued / AOA Ramp Access badge and providing it to TSA.

I was wondering if anyone had utilized their Airport issued AOA badge / Ramp Access badge as acceptable ID when going through TSA screening?

My home airport is KSNA -- would my badge work only at KSNA or would it work at any airport? The TSA website states that any airport issued ID (at airport with TSA Approved Security Plans) would accept these as ID.

I mean, after all, to obtain this type of ID, you have to provide a valid DL, US passport or other proof of citizenship, and then successfully pass a TSA Security Threat Assessment and Background check.

Any feedback, friends?

Thanks!

Agreed... Only my airport will honor my ramp badge... KJAC.... Any other airport looks at me like I am from outer space...

And, you can bet your ass their security director used the exact same data to qualify the workers their...:mad2::mad2::mad2:.....:mad:.

My airline ID would not work if I was a ticketed passenger, only if I was a crew member.
Really? It works for me... (At least in STL...)

As a 91K and 135 pilot I've been using my crew badge to use the crew lane while in uniform. If I travel in civilian clothes all perks are off and it's time to dump my liquids and toothpaste and bite my lip while they pat me down.
At STL, I've gone through in civvies without the food/liquid limitations, only that I'd need to do the body scan or be felt up. Also, I find it funny that they accept a t-shirt or polo with the company logo as a uniform, and then only require the metal detector... :dunno:

Or the best way is when I get company MX to pick me up at the lot and use their SIDA badge to drive me to my plane... :D

Back