Anything for attention...sigh.

The dog thing is out of control.

I agree with this part completely. I disagree with kicking a dog in the head, but at the same time if a dog comes running up to me unprovoked, my first assumption is going to be that it is aggressive - not friendly. I don't understand why people allow their dogs to do this. Just yesterday I was out walking along a country road with my kids when all of a sudden a pit bull comes running out of nowhere straight at us. I quickly grabbed up my kids and started backing up to a fence, ready to throw them over. My husband was pretty badly attacked while out on a walk one day and I have been very weary of dogs since. Anyway, when it was about 10 feet or so away, I heard its owner calling out to him and he thankfully stopped and went running back. The person apologized, then laughed and made some joke about hating leashes. Failed to see the humor. Leash your damn dogs. I have two dogs... both are 11 years old and never shown aggression to others, but I still keep them leashed outside and do not allow them to approach others unless people ask for such.

If even one person does have a problem with it, the animal should be out the door
I agree with your pragmatic view of this whole subject. People who deal with animals in a commercial way, ie; farmers breeders etc. (which seems to be your perspective) look upon animals differently than your average joe, I think.... But personally, I'm pretty fed up with one person having the ability to dictate to a group what is acceptable.

Just the other day I watched a "service" dog make a monster fudge in Home Depot. The owner did not scoop.
proof positive it was not a service dog - they've got training around that too - unless you ignore their notice to you - and most real service dog owners are very attuned to the critter

According to ADA, a customer can be asked to remove a service dog if it isn't housebroken:

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

-

A year or two ago we ate dinner out and noticed an extended family group at the next table bring their dog in. It had the "service dog" vest that you can buy anywhere. It mainly seemed to be content to stay under the table or next to a chair and was happy enough with the table scraps being handed to it. It really didn't bother me - except - there was just something "off" that made me think it was a pet, not a true service dog, and they were gaming the system. I have no way of knowing for sure, but my spidey sense was tingling.

proof positive it was not a service dog - they've got training around that too - unless you ignore their notice to you - and most real service dog owners are very attuned to the critter

No it was not a trained service dog. She said she needs the dog for emotional well being. I bet that was part of the add selling the service dog vest. Plus the dog would not walk with her until she picked it up and made it walk. After about 20 minutes I saw her and the dog, and the dog was sniffing the floor. I knew what was coming and told my wife to watch what is about to happen, and yes, puppy dog let loose with a nature call.

Only getting worse as we try to legislate equality.

Equality is self evident. It's the imagined INEQUALITY that is constantly being legislated. It's a game of whack-a-mole. For every group that is appeased, another pops up.

Equality is self evident. It's the imagined INEQUALITY that is constantly being legislated. It's a game of whack-a-mole. For every group that is appeased, another pops up.

I am offended by your statements, they aren't fair or equal. I need a safe space.

The general entitlement attitude has gone way too far. I love my dog, but unless it is a true service dog (not a "support" animal), leave it at home. I'd never lose my cool over it, and would never harm a friendly dog, but it's annoying and selfish by the owner. No need to have your dog IN a store or restaurant.

... but it's annoying and selfish by the owner. No need to have your dog IN a store or restaurant.

Petsmart is a store. They welcome pets. Never had a question at Home Depot or Lowe's either.
Lazy Dog is a restaurant chain in multiple states that welcomes pets. Luckily there are many pet friendly restaurants near us.
Many hotel brands welcome pets. Autumn will be at the Ritz-Carlton San Francisco in about a month.

I think these businesses see a market to be served.

Nothing "selfish" at picking businesses that are pet friendly when she's going to be with us.

I implied previously that I suspect some service animals are not legit. I also KNOW that many handicap stickers are used inappropriately.

The general entitlement attitude has gone way too far. I love my dog, but unless it is a true service dog (not a "support" animal), leave it at home. I'd never lose my cool over it, and would never harm a friendly dog, but it's annoying and selfish by the owner. No need to have your dog IN a store or restaurant.
You believe disabled individuals should remain shutins, or you believe the dogs should be left in hot vehicles in the parking lot? Service dogs enable many physically challenged individuals freedom and independence. I suggest everyone attend a CCI (Canine Companions for Independence) graduation. There is always a guest speaker, usually a disabled individual or family member, that tells how a dog has impacted their lives. There's usually several hundred people balling.

I believe that healthy people who use an poorly written law to bring fluffy with them should be stopped. And if you are the owner of a legitimate service animal, you should too.

There's usually several hundred people balling.
firefly.gif

Nope, just can't bring myself to type it.

Nauga,
speechless for a change

Well, France anyway.

In England and Scotland the dogs come through the back door of the kitchen.

Not uncommon to see dogs in the country pubs in the U.K.

She better not go to Montana. I think it is a state law that everyone have a dog and take with them at all times. Love that state!!

I was travelling on Sunday from TUL to DEN and there were two passengers who each had a dog (Border Collie and Lab Mix) on the aircraft. The border collie was in my row, the lab mix was in the same row on the opposite side of the isle. Both laid down and were of no nuisance the entire flight. Now, neither one had any sort of service animal regalia on, so I assume they just paid to have them on the flight, but who knows. I didn't talk to them enough to ask why they brought their dog along, but overheard that they were headed home to the Denver area. They were definitely hipsters in dress attire and topics of discussion, so take from that what you will. I can see why non-dog-lovers might be uptight about it, but I was fine with it since they were well-behaved. No dogs present on the leg to YEG.

This is how Autumn rolls. People are surprised she's there.
102706_MAIN._AC_SS55_V1467296293_.jpg

@AggieMike88 can give a non-biased report after Gaston's.

I agree with this part completely. I disagree with kicking a dog in the head, but at the same time if a dog comes running up to me unprovoked, my first assumption is going to be that it is aggressive - not friendly. I don't understand why people allow their dogs to do this. Just yesterday I was out walking along a country road with my kids when all of a sudden a pit bull comes running out of nowhere straight at us. I quickly grabbed up my kids and started backing up to a fence, ready to throw them over. My husband was pretty badly attacked while out on a walk one day and I have been very weary of dogs since. Anyway, when it was about 10 feet or so away, I heard its owner calling out to him and he thankfully stopped and went running back. The person apologized, then laughed and made some joke about hating leashes. Failed to see the humor. Leash your damn dogs. I have two dogs... both are 11 years old and never shown aggression to others, but I still keep them leashed outside and do not allow them to approach others unless people ask for such.

Exactly the same problem I have. We have some "leash laws" here in FL. The problem I have with the one in my county is that is states animals must always be under the direct control of their owners.

Now to me, the only way to ENSURE they are under control is that they are on a leash or some other type of restraint. The problem I have with dogs NOT on a leash is that the owner is under the delusion they are "in control". As @OkieFlyer mentioned in another post, these are animals. As much as we love them, and as much as we might think we have control over them at all times, they are still animals.

Some trigger, some situation or person or smell could cause even the most "controlled" animal to just break free of that control and do something unexpected. Maybe it's a .02 % chance, but its there. Heck we can't even expect people to be controlled at all times, so why would we expect it from animals? It's a stupid requirement and an unrealistic expectation.

Then you get people who complain when their unleashed/uncontrolled animal runs into traffic and expect people to pay some sort of compensation for their own stupidity.

I'm very wary of animals not on leashes and while my first response may not be to "kick them in the head", I certainly would respond with caution.

Not uncommon to see dogs in the country pubs in the U.K.

Nor Key West in those open bars (1-2 sides completely open)....cracked me up, they just wonder in, see if there's anything eat, and then hit the next bar I guess. :)

Nope. I haven't. I'm glad we do things differently here since we are not Europe.

People constantly comparing our country to Europe gets old. We fought a war to remove ourselves from rule by Europeans.

When I was in Germany the bars weren't much different IMO. They just talk a funny language ;). You always knew they were bitching about GIs if you heard them say Americans in the middle of all that German. Guys used to ***** about it, but I always said imagine if 300,000 GIs were in your state or our country, you probably would dislike them too.

Nope. I haven't. I'm glad we do things differently here since we are not Europe.

People constantly comparing our country to Europe gets old. We fought a war to remove ourselves from rule by Europeans.
Actually we fought several wars.

Then we fought a couple more to save their worthless asses.

Complete BS. If the woman had that severe an allergy (i.e. with a chance of going into anaphylactic shock) the presence of the animals in that confined a space would have set them off. She would have been sneezing, or had hives or something else. One of my pals has dog allergies and has five of the things. Her face is usually quite ruddy, though.
Must be an emotional allergy. She sneezes on the inside. Quite debilitating, from the looks of it.

I also KNOW that many handicap stickers are used inappropriately.

That could be a whole thread to itself. I hate it when we drive elderly relatives in their car with a tag, and they exclaim "You can use the handicapped spot!"

No, I can't. I can drop you guys off at the door and park like anyone else and walk my happy ass inside leaving the handicapped spot for someone who actually needs it today. Or an ass who thinks their relative's sticker means they can be a lazy f***.

They were definitely hipsters in dress attire and topics of discussion, so take from that what you will.

Now I want to know what "dress attire" on a hipster looks like, and what they talked about. You're killing me Smalls.

Now I want to know what "dress attire" on a hipster looks like...
It looks like downtown Portland between 9am and 5pm. Or just imagine casual hipster with a thrift-store vest and bowtie.
...and what they talked about.
Underground stuff. You've probably never heard of it.

Nauga,
casually uptight

That could be a whole thread to itself. I hate it when we drive elderly relatives in their car with a tag, and they exclaim "You can use the handicapped spot!"

No, I can't. I can drop you guys off at the door and park like anyone else and walk my happy ass inside leaving the handicapped spot for someone who actually needs it today. Or an ass who thinks their relative's sticker means they can be a lazy f***.

Now I want to know what "dress attire" on a hipster looks like, and what they talked about. You're killing me Smalls.

Both wearing skinny jeans and thick black framed eyeglasses. Male had a bow tie with a short sleeve plaid shirt and suspenders. Were talking about some new all-natural restaurant they'd just tried and about which one of the new iPhones they were going to upgrade to. Female was exclaiming how "totally zen" the dog was being, and then proceeded to worry about the dog being able to clear his ears of the air pressure. Hipster was about the only descriptive term I can attribute to that.

My earbuds went in shortly after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both wearing skinny jeans and thick black framed eyeglasses. Male had a bow tie with a short sleeve plaid shirt and suspenders. Were talking about some new all-natural restaurant they'd just tried and about which one of the new iPhones they were going to upgrade to. Female was exclaiming how "totally zen" the dog was being, and then proceeded to worry about the dog being able to clear his ears of the air pressure. Hipster was about the only descriptive term I can attribute to that.

My earbuds went in shortly after.

LOL! That’s freaking awesome. And can’t blame you on the earbuds, at all.

I don't hate dogs per se, but I just dislike the majority of dog owners, at least we're there a precious little pets are concerned.

When I am king in order to own a dog you must have at least 10 acres per dog in your household. If your lot is smaller than 10 acres then you're banned from owning dogs.

I'm tired of barking pooping biting licking irritating creatures operated by owners with no sense of responsibility to their neighbors whatsoever.

Dog possession outside your 10 acres per dog should be strictly regulated, and require an examination by a designated dog examiner who charges $1000 cash per examination to determine if you are qualified to allow your dog off your personal property.

strong message follows.

Complete BS. If the woman had that severe an allergy (i.e. with a chance of going into anaphylactic shock) the presence of the animals in that confined a space would have set them off. She would have been sneezing, or had hives or something else. One of my pals has dog allergies and has five of the things. Her face is usually quite ruddy, though.
I think anaphylaxis is extremely rare in pet allergies if it happens at all. One of my kids swells up like crazy around horses, even if he just stands downwind of them when they are in the pasture. The doc didn't recommend having an epi-pen, said that severe allergy isn't likely. He gets hives, his lips swell, the whole deal. Maybe the doc is wrong, I don't know, but he made it sound like that was a separate type of reaction.

Back