Anyone with a Garmin MX20 ever get a white screen?

stevenhmiller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve's Archer
My Garmin MX20 is not working properly. In the past, it's been fine then periodically, it would white screen, as shown in the picture below. It would start working again a couple of days later. But, now all I get is the white screen. It's been like this for about 2 weeks now.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it?

GarminMX20.jpg

That is the MX20 failure to boot or otherwise not driving the display. THe MX20 of the era yours is (with the rocker switch rather than the knob) essentially dims the display on power up and slowly brings up the intensity with the hope that NT has booted and the MX20 program has run. If this doesn't happen, you get the white screen.

That is the MX20 failure to boot or otherwise not driving the display. THe MX20 of the era yours is (with the rocker switch rather than the knob) essentially dims the display on power up and slowly brings up the intensity with the hope that NT has booted and the MX20 program has run. If this doesn't happen, you get the white screen.

What do I do to fix this?

You're pretty much screwed. Garmin does not offer *ANY* support for the MX20 anymore (other than some technical advice and software updates if for some reason you're way out of date).

From what you write, it sounds like a software issue if NT isnt booting up. Am I misunderstanding? Or, is this a hardware issue? If software, wont a reformat and reload of the data card fix it? From what I see, the operating software is on the card.

I would still take it to a GOOD avionics shop and see what they say, on the off chance that the software is just corrupted and they have some way to re-install it. Not likely, I agree, but worth a shot.

Looks like it's the MX20. I borrowed my neighbors datacard from his MX20 and it still gave the white screen. Wonderful...

Sorry to hear that. Our Mooney had an MX20 in it and I loved it! It it really is dead, you should see about selling it for parts and upgrading to a GMX200. It's basically the same unit with some upgrades and a faster chip. Some of the Caravans I fly have the GMX200 and I like that unit even better.

I'm working on my PPL now and don't have the spare cash to replace the MX20. My GNS480 does the same thing, only a smaller screen. Also, once I've built my hours I plan on selling the Archer and getting a larger plane that I can seat 6. I won't get my money back replacing it with something else.

I had an MX20 (well I still have it, but it's in a box in my garage) but I don't recall it ever doing that. I would call an avionics shop and ask for someone who's worked on those (they are pretty common). Also there may be a reset procedure in the manual.

My neighbor suggested I pull the unit and reseat the connections. I can't see how that would fix it, but I may try it. He said his gave the Windows NT blue screen of death once, and he reseated the cables and all is fine since. Blue screen and white screen are totally different issues. At least blue screen you see things and know the unit is displaying. The white screen is just that, white and I see nothing.
I'm going through my annual now and just got done paying a load of other bills, so strapped for cash. But, if I miraculously find a box full of cash hidden under a tree, I'll see about having it looked at.

I'm working on my PPL now and don't have the spare cash to replace the MX20. My GNS480 does the same thing, only a smaller screen.

Umm. the GNS480 servers a completey different purpose than the MX20. While he 480 can do TIS, it has poorer charting, lacks the ability to do FIS, control the XM audio, etc.. On the other hand it is a GPS and the MX20 is just a glorified windows NT box.

Actually, one thing to check is pull the datacard out and look in to the slot it goes in. Look for bent pins there. If it can't se the NTFS on the card, it can't boot.
The first thing you'll get on the box you have is an updside down Windows NT (build 1381) legend at the bottom of the screen.

My avionics and me had the MX20 apart one time trying to fix a flaky button. There's not too much servicable inside it.

Umm. the GNS480 servers a completey different purpose than the MX20. While he 480 can do TIS, it has poorer charting, lacks the ability to do FIS, control the XM audio, etc.. On the other hand it is a GPS and the MX20 is just a glorified windows NT box.

yes, it's all that, but then again, I'm still working on my PPL and learning everything. So, the MX20, while I wish I had it, is not a necessity. When I had it, I used it to show me the course, distance until next waypoint/destination and obstacles. The 480 does that as well, with the exception of the obstacles.

Actually, one thing to check is pull the datacard out and look in to the slot it goes in. Look for bent pins there. If it can't se the NTFS on the card, it can't boot.
The first thing you'll get on the box you have is an updside down Windows NT (build 1381) legend at the bottom of the screen.

My avionics and me had the MX20 apart one time trying to fix a flaky button. There's not too much servicable inside it.

I checked the pins. They're straight.

When would I see the upside down Windows NT screen? I've never seen that.

Last edited:
It's the first thing that appears on the screen when it boots. On your model you only will see it after a crash (windows crashing not the aircraft) or if you manually defeat the autodim feature by pushing the + button on the rocker repeatedly right after power up.

It's the first thing that appears on the screen when it boots. On your model you only will see it after a crash (windows crashing not the aircraft) or if you manually defeat the autodim feature by pushing the + button on the rocker repeatedly right after power up.

I don't see anything. It's white from the get-go. Absolutely nothing on the screen.

Yep, it's not booting. Mine was stuck in that mode several years ago and I did a flat rate service with the boys in Salem, though they told me recently that they are no longer servicing the MX20 (other than they were willing to send me a software update for mine).

The MX20 is no longer supported, so I don't think I can get service on it.

I'm working on my PPL now and don't have the spare cash to replace the MX20. My GNS480 does the same thing, only a smaller screen. Also, once I've built my hours I plan on selling the Archer and getting a larger plane that I can seat 6. I won't get my money back replacing it with something else.

Keep your eye on eBay, and put feelers out to the big avionics shops doing the upgrades. You should be able to get a good price on a pull out from 750/G-500 upgrades. I know I sold an MFD-150 for $100.

This is why I say "upgrade" planes are a mistake. You could have trained in an A-36 or PA-32 as well. Every dime you put into this plane will be lost at trade up, and then some.

Last edited:
I'm checking fleabay now. I found an Apollo MX20 (slightly older version) in Lithuania for $382 + shipping. Seller has a 0 rating, so am not sure I want to deal with him. I would use Paypal, so would be covered in case the seller runs away with my money.

Note that the cards aren't compatible between the two units. The later ones with the rocker switch run Windows upside down and the program reflects that. In addition if you have TRAFFIC display, you need to make sure you get a TRAFFIC model to replace yours or it will lose that function.

I'm checking fleabay now. I found an Apollo MX20 (slightly older version) in Lithuania for $382 + shipping. Seller has a 0 rating, so am not sure I want to deal with him. I would use Paypal, so would be covered in case the seller runs away with my money.

Found out from a neighbor that anything coming from out of the country should be avoided. Apparently, they will not be FAA approved. So much for that.

Note that the cards aren't compatible between the two units. The later ones with the rocker switch run Windows upside down and the program reflects that. In addition if you have TRAFFIC display, you need to make sure you get a TRAFFIC model to replace yours or it will lose that function.

I wasn't aware of the OS being run upside down. Interesting. I don't recall what it said on start up, if it has traffic display. As stated in an earlier post, I'm still working on my PPL, so still learning the ins and outs of these units. Just got used to my GNS 480 and was starting to understand the MX20. I have the Aspen Evolution 1000 also. Just so much to learn. But, I never noticed if it showed TRAFFIC as one of the items checked off on the test screen.

Did you ever see traffic reported on the MX20 map? This isn't a real biggy because the GNS480 will display either TIS-A or if you have a UAT TIS-B. The airborne radar (not FIS NEXRAD) is another option but most small guys don't have that. Chartview I'm pretty sure is just a software option (and a larger capacity data card).

Did you ever see traffic reported on the MX20 map? This isn't a real biggy because the GNS480 will display either TIS-A or if you have a UAT TIS-B. The airborne radar (not FIS NEXRAD) is another option but most small guys don't have that. Chartview I'm pretty sure is just a software option (and a larger capacity data card).

No, never noticed traffic on there. So, I wouldn't miss it if I never had it. :) I don't know what other instrumentation is necessary to display traffic on there, and I may have had the capability. But again, if it wasn't displayed, I'm not worrying about it.

I have a post in the classifieds looking for a replacement unit from someone that may have one kicking around in the garage from an upgrade. Doubtful I'll find one, but you never know.

I'd let you have mine if I was ready to upgrade, but I'm probably going to go with something other than just a GMX200 (most likely something NOT Garmin, too much bad experience with Olathe....I only got the GNS480/MX20 because of the fine boys in Salem).

I'd let you have mine if I was ready to upgrade, but I'm probably going to go with something other than just a GMX200 (most likely something NOT Garmin, too much bad experience with Olathe....I only got the GNS480/MX20 because of the fine boys in Salem).

What are you considering (not that I can afford anything at the moment)?

The only problem with that is that the experiences at the others are often worse.:(

At this point for a secondary MFD sadly the best option under $20k looks like a 796.:(

I have an MX-20 with a (probably) dying screen. It had several vertical lines on it at the time it came out but was plenty legible. I have no use for it and its value is nigh on zero unless I repair the screen - which is not going to happen.

If you can get use out of it, let me know. I have data card and bracket for it but sounds like you have those already.

I have an MX-20 with a (probably) dying screen. It had several vertical lines on it at the time it came out but was plenty legible. I have no use for it and its value is nigh on zero unless I repair the screen - which is not going to happen.

If you can get use out of it, let me know. I have data card and bracket for it but sounds like you have those already.
Sent you a PM.

I started getting a white screen on my MX20 last week. Cycling it off and on did not fix it. Then one day it worked for half a day and then back to white screen on a second flight of the day. After reading the posts here about the flash card not connecting properly, I took my flash card out and cleaned it with a spray can of air then sprayed Corrosion X in the contact holes. So far so good, it is now working fine again.

I started getting a white screen on my MX20 last week. Cycling it off and on did not fix it. Then one day it worked for half a day and then back to white screen on a second flight of the day. After reading the posts here about the flash card not connecting properly, I took my flash card out and cleaned it with a spray can of air then sprayed Corrosion X in the contact holes. So far so good, it is now working fine again.

I hope that fixes it for you. For me, it was dead. Thankfully, a fellow board member was gracious enough to give me his for just the cost of shipping. I'm back up and running once again. :goofy:

Hey All,

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I now find myself in the same boat...MX20 just died this morning. Screen is still good but the motherboard appears to have a smoked component :) Anyone know of someone with a MX-20 core that is looking to get rid of it? Any help would be greatly appreciated...just don't have the cash for a GMX-200 and don't know if the wiring/tray would work in my panel anyway..

Never fun when expensive equipment dies. I'll agree that the GMX-200 is a great replacement unit.

I'm in the same boat. Same symptoms: white screen on MX-20. Anybody else have leads on a replacement unit, or have spares? :)

If you're in the Hawthorne, CA region I'll happily take you joyriding around for a couple of $100 hamburgers for an MX-20! haha

My MX20 works for a few mins then gives a cyan colored screen with ERROR 529 General Protection Fault. It sticks on this screen and I have to reboot it. Starting to happen more often. :(

My MX20 works for a few mins then gives a cyan colored screen with ERROR 529 General Protection Fault. It sticks on this screen and I have to reboot it. Starting to happen more often. :(

Oh no...just got the Error 529 GPF twice today in a span of 30 min. First time I have ever seen it appear. Has anyone figured out exactly what causes it?

Seems to only occur when I have the FIS screen selected...

Back