Anyone with a Garmin MX20 ever get a white screen?

If you have the XM Weather, you'll crash the MX20 when NEXRAD gets real active because the thing runs out of memory. I talked to the guys in Salem. The LAST software version helps this a bit, but really the thing's kind of at the end of useful life.

Mine also crashes more on FIS, but getting to be nearly completely unusable. Just waiting for the cash to replace it...

If you have the XM Weather, you'll crash the MX20 when NEXRAD gets real active because the thing runs out of memory. I talked to the guys in Salem. The LAST software version helps this a bit, but really the thing's kind of at the end of useful life.
Anyone know if this is a known problem with the GMX-200 as well? I often get spontaneous reboots when there's a lot going on on NEXRAD. I forget the error code on reboot, but it was pretty consistently the same code. Avionics techs I've talked to didn't have a clue though.

I thought the GMX200's were better off, but I could be wrong. It's something like error 527. On the MX20 you often get some hint it's about to crash as it either scroggs the display with some goofy pattern (often the lightning symbol) or the time display at the bottom goes wonky.

When I get back in the air I'll make a note of what happens before it crashes. There is definitely a warning, as I recall, the display starts jumping to center on a location that might be nearby or distant, basically unpredictable. It also starts to happen more and more often before a crash.

I remember it was also likelier to happen in hot, humid weather, but that could also be a side-effect of greater NEXRAD activity.

Back