Anyone with a Garmin GPS175 ?

Doug Reid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Doug Reid
I have been thinking about installing the GPS175 and wanted to get feedback from anyone who uses one in their plane. Does it play well with ForeFlight ? Is it easy to update the micro sd card ? Any issues that you discovered post installation that you wish you knew beforehand ?

Thanks for helping :)

I have a GNC355, which is the same except it has a com radio also. Plays extremely well with foreflight, very easy to share plans either direction with one click on foreflight, and a few clicks on the GPS to accept the plan, even no clicks for changes in the GPS, if you set "auto update" on foreflight, if you change something in the GPS foreflight will get it automatically.

Updates are straightforward as well.

I have one too. Love it, even in turbulence. I have it driving my HSI. Having said that, if I want to fly an ILS, I need to fly the overlay and monitor on Nav 2. Wasn't worth the expense of installing a relay.

One of the C172SPs in my club has a GPS175 in place of the outdated Bendix Kings that the other SPs have. MUCH better! The user interface appears to be the same as the GPS portion of the GTN series. I haven't had experience with the questions you asked, but I see that those have been answered already.

I have the GNC355 and while it is great the screen is small and I tend to rely much more on my iPad with Foreflight but it is linked to my G5 HSI and that's nice.

I have been thinking about installing the GPS175 and wanted to get feedback from anyone who uses one in their plane. Does it play well with ForeFlight ? Is it easy to update the micro sd card ? Any issues that you discovered post installation that you wish you knew beforehand ?

I have the GNX 375, which is similar, but has the transponder. Yes, it plays quite well with Foreflight. Super easy to update the SD card with updated maps. No issues.

Ours is installed with a pair of G5s. You will need to make sure your indicator will work with it if you want to fly GPS approaches under IFR with it. That is why we decided to add the G5s.

I fly my buddy's cheerokee quite a bit and it has a 175GPS and a 275 indicator. I don't think he has any regrets about the installation. I know he has just under 10grand into the 175 and 275 installed. He already had the 2 coms and transponder before hand. He actually loves it, he is a 40 year pilot and a SW captain. At first it was hard for him to make the move, but he did when his ADF died and no one would fix it. lol He uses FF but it not part of his panel. He has a 335 transponder and no FS cards. He has 2 SD cards he takes back and forth to home to update his data bases.
IMG_9563(1).JPG

I have been flying with a 650 in my plane for 4 years now and the 175 operates the same for the most part.

Last edited:
I installed a GNC355 in one airplane and have another airplane that I sometimes fly with a gnx375 in it. I’ve never used the gps175.

All are similar and are a great budget gps option. The interfaces are slightly different from each other and from the GTN series because of features and screen space considerations.

The on-screen keyboard is garbage, partly because it only displays half the letters at a time due to the smaller screen. Luckily, you can use the knobs to enter letters/numbers on a GPS175 and GNX375 like you would on an old school GNS430 or G1000. You can't do that on a GNC355 or a GTN because that would change the COM frequency.

Other than that, it's a great box. If you have the extra space, hardwiring it to an aera 660 makes for a fantastic pairing.

Also, it uses standard cheapo SD cards formatted with the FAT32 filesystem that you can get from Amazon, Best Buy, etc. Buy a spare or three and rotate between them each database cycle.

The on-screen keyboard is garbage, partly because it only displays half the letters at a time due to the smaller screen.
I wouldn't say it's garbage. It is a compromise. You can use your finger to swipe the keyboard left and right to get to the other letters you need. So, it's not that hard to deal with using just the touch screen.

I have the 355 with an Aera 660, they call it a poor man's 650, but actually it's much better than that. IMG_0872.jpeg

Would you mind elaborating on how the 355 and 660 work together?

C.

I wouldn't say it's garbage. It is a compromise. You can use your finger to swipe the keyboard left and right to get to the other letters you need. So, it's not that hard to deal with using just the touch screen.
I find it much easier just to spin the knobs if I'm on a 175 or 375.

Actually, I've been taking to a hybrid approach lately: Swipe the keyboard to the first letter or number if needed, type until I get to a letter or number that's off-screen and then instead of swiping I start using the knobs.

I guess YMMV.

I've set them up so any changes I make on the 660 automatically show up on the 355. In VFR, I use the 660 as an MFD for traffic, terrain (based in Vegas). In iFR, the 660 either shows low alt airways whilst the 355 shows map, or the 660 shows (half of..) an approach plate with my little airplane symbol rattling down it.

I've set them up so any changes I make on the 660 automatically show up on the 355. In VFR, I use the 660 as an MFD for traffic, terrain (based in Vegas). In iFR, the 660 either shows low alt airways whilst the 355 shows map, or the 660 shows (half of..) an approach plate with my little airplane symbol rattling down it.
How do you get the approach plate on the 660? I see VFR and IFR Hi/low as options under the chart function.

Have had a GNX 375 for going on 3 years now. Absolutely love it. Works flawlessly with ForeFlight and as said above easily updateable with standard SD card. I have two that I just swap for updates. I did all of my instrument training with it. Touch screen works well and it’s easy to get used to he keyboard. IMHO it’s way easier to use than spinning knobs. It’s also found it very easy to go between it and other planes with 650 or 750s as the interface is very similar

Getting ready to pair it with dual G5s and a GFC500 at the beginning of March. Can’t wait.

I have a GPS 175, GTR225 and a GNC255 all hardwired to my Aera 660. The 660 and 175 communicate via mapmx this thread on Van’s explains it well.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=155859
Yes, for nav data. MapMX is great stuff. The 660 also talks Connext so your 175/355/375 can also feed it ADS-B traffic and weather if it's available.
How do you get the approach plate on the 660? I see VFR and IFR Hi/low as options under the chart function.
I don't have it in front of me, but I seem to recall that under WPT INFO (Waypoint Information), it's one of the tabs near the bottom (underneath Info, Freq, Runway, Weather, etc).

I don't have it in front of me, but I seem to recall that under WPT INFO (Waypoint Information), it's one of the tabs near the bottom (underneath Info, Freq, Runway, Weather, etc).
Bingo! Thanks

Back