Anyone wanna go flying - 12/31??

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I have not been up in a month. I have tomorrow off and after I get new tires on the truck in the am I am headed up to 10C for a flight and to visit my airplane. I am sure it misses me.

Anyone in the area want to meet up somewhere close by and go flying? I am charting out 6 airports I might try to get in for GoFlyAmerica. All but one are on turf so we will see what the ground conditions are like. Plan is to head up toward JVL. Let me know and we can hook up.

I have not been up in a month. I have tomorrow off and after I get new tires on the truck in the am I am headed up to 10C for a flight and to visit my airplane. I am sure it misses me.

Anyone in the area want to meet up somewhere close by and go flying? I am charting out 6 airports I might try to get in for GoFlyAmerica. All but one are on turf so we will see what the ground conditions are like. Plan is to head up toward JVL. Let me know and we can hook up.

Hey neat, that sounds like fun, Scott. I wish I was up there, I'd go out and claim a bunch of airports and meet you somewhere.

Scott,

Count me as a definite maybe. What time? I should grab my aunt and uncle (pilot and student pilot) and bring them too. CAVU Cafe?

Love to, because I haven't been up in a while either. But the forecast isn't looking great, either for VFR or a comfortable IFR flight.

Looks as if we'll be NE of a low pressure area centered over eastern KS, and winds at 3000' are forecast at about 140* and 50KT. Very little temp/dewpoint spread (about 1 - 3*F).

NOAA for JVL:

Sunday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Sunday Night: A chance of rain, mixing with snow after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Ok I am a data moron, I admit it. I put 12/31 but I meant today, 12/29. I was thinking I have New Years eve holiday this year and I could not add.

sigh. not me. I do hope to get back up there again NEXT wkd though. first time in... 2 months?

sigh. not me. I do hope to get back up there again NEXT wkd though. first time in... 2 months?

Where's "There?" Chicago? Where are we all flying to? :)

And you were already here and we DIDN'T have a fly-in? Shame! :no:

I may try to fly to KJVL on Saturday, 12/30 for brunch. (11-ish)
ApacheBob

If anyone wants to swing by Portland and pick me up, I'll chip in for gas. :)

Have fun!

Well on Friday I picked up a few more CONUS Challenge airports. One of which was 0C2 a glider/parachute airport. No one was there in the middle of winter. The field itself is very interesting. Lots of bumps. On my take off roll at 40knots I hit one that launched me into the air. I pulled very slightly back on the yoke to prevent the nose wheel from coming down too hard, the stall warning horn was blaring, the mains touched down ever so slightly as I had also speed up to about 45 knots and was able to get it up into ground effect for the rest of the take off.

I headed up north and flew IFR into KUES. It was nice to break out and see all those lights on the runway right in front of me. I picked up about .5 hours of actual.

Then today I flew down to Valparaiso where my niece was playing a basketball game. It was IFR all the way. I had a comm failure that I will have to get sorted out. Seems Comm 1 went TU. After about 10 or 15 minutes and not hearing C90 and passing a handoff point I started calling them. I finally raised them on the comm2. ATC chewed me out, he said "I have been calling you for 60 miles, you are in the worlds busiest airspace" yadda yadda yadda. If I had traveled 60 miles I would have been south of Peotone and not just south of DuPage. I just let it slide, he was being a typical C90 jerk.

BTW no warning of the comm failure, all was well and then the radio just went silent. I occasionally could still here things and sometimes they heard me on it. I think I might have an antenna problem. But I'll let the tech sort it out.

Trip back was interesting as I flew night IMC. Made my first real approach at night and broke out 300 feet above the minimum. I was very happy to see that runway. I elected to land with an 8 knot tail wind instead of circling to other runway. I figured it just was not safe enough to see to be able to do that.

Also C90 routed me out to DeKalb before turning me east, that was different. Here is the track http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N8116B

All in all a good couple of days flying. 2.9 hours actual, three real approaches (2-GPS, 1-ILS).

That caps off of my year with 131.4 hours total, 18.6 hours of actual IFR and 7.2 simulated

Sounds like some great flying, Scott! I am jealous.:yes:
I wanted to fly today, but Mom was sick and I went to see her at the hospital. Maybe 12/31 will be a better day, although I probably should check on Mom.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Scott,
Sounds like you had a great day flying! We're jealous!

Leslie and I were considering going up to get some actual today too, but opted to take the Commercial knowledge exam instead. We both passed with flying colors! :)

12/31 - I did fly today. 1.2 hours on the club's C-182. Around and around the pattern. Short approach for the tower (turned abeam the appoach), long downwind for the tower, lots of slow flight practice (the club's C-172H was ahead of me in the pattern for a while and I had to really slow down for him. :D ). Would have gone somewhere, but I didn't trust the weather. Weather guessers really blew yesterday's forecast and I didn't want to risk fog coming in while I was away. As it turned out, wouldn't have been a problem.

I've GOT to fly more next year. 15.2 hours this year. Big gaps between flights. I'll give the CFII a call this week and we'll see about starting the IR. That will give me an excuse (like I need one) to fly more.

Happy New Year, all.

Finally went today. First time since November 27. Went to Capitol Airport in Wisconsin. 100LL was $3.14. Capitol is near Milwaukee.

PirepApacheOpener.jpg

ApacheBob

Back