Anyone using the Robotic Lawn Mower?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
We switched Or I should say added the robotic vacuum recently and it performs far better than I would have expected.

I wonder how these things work. If I could set it free in the yard while I edge, I could cancel the lawn service and save a few bucks.

There is always the concern about someone snagging it though.

http://robomow.com/en-US/

We switched Or I should say added the robotic vacuum recently and it performs far better than I would have expected.

I wonder how these things work. If I could set it free in the yard while I edge, I could cancel the lawn service and save a few bucks.

Define "EDGE"...:rolleyes:......:wink2:........:D

Someone in our neighborhood has one of those. I used to see it running now and then when we'd take a walk, but I don't remember the last time I did see it.

His front yard has a lot of landscaping and edging. It's a decent size (sq foot wise) but because it's so heavily landscaped, there isn't a lot of actual grass and what there is would be awkward to muscle a lawnmower around everything. In that case, the robot works well. I doesn't look like it can cut thick/tall grass, so it's probably better to just let it run every day or every other day to keep the grass topped off. It does seem to do a pretty good job. I don't think it will cross a sidewalk or driveway, so you have to place it in any landlocked sections. It is quiet. I don't know if they have any kind of alarm that goes off if it's picked up. And I haven't looked at the actual cutting mechanism.

A friend had one and liked it. It was a mulching mower, electric I believe. Any electric is likely to be quiet. I bet the navigation software has gotten a lot better since then.

As much as I dislike any kind of yard work (including mowing) my yard is too small to justify the investment.

I run a small landcare business and really enjoy mowing. One of my favorite parts is looking back on a nicely striped lawn with pride.

In general there are two types of people with respect to their lawns. One group just wants the grass knocked down and doesn't really care. Others take pride in how it looks and want it well-manicured.

Another 3 weeks and I'm back in business. I'm looking forward to it. I was out changing the oil and sharpening the blades in all the mowers last night. Putting new line in all the trimmer spools and lubing the shafts. Polishing the mowers, even though it won't last past the first day.

I run a small landcare business and really enjoy mowing. One of my favorite parts is looking back on a nicely striped lawn with pride.

You are more than welcome to do mine. I won't even charge you for the privilege.

We bought one 6 years ago. Still going strong and we love it. It does take some time and attention to get the yard all set up in the beginning. I work at home so I can keep an eye on it.

We bought one 6 years ago. Still going strong and we love it. It does take some time and attention to get the yard all set up in the beginning. I work at home so I can keep an eye on it.

Is it random like the vacuum or do you have to teach it a path?

I can see the headline coming: "Naked sunbather circumcised by robotic lawn mower."

I'd have to see one working to believe it would actually be easier than just mowing the lawn.

I wouldn't abandon it but rather let it mow while I do other yard tasks.
I am curious how it knows its bounds since there is a pool in back.

The roomba just wanders aimlessly with no real knowledge of the layout. I don't think that would work with the mower.

You are more than welcome to do mine. I won't even charge you for the privilege.

There are some days it's hard to believe people pay me to do it. In early spring when the grass is at its greenest and has a unique aroma. And on a cool autumn day, there's nothing like it.

I started out more than 20 years ago just helping an elderly neighbor. Then on one of those 100+ degree days I noticed the cleaning service van in the drive, like it is 3 days a week, and thought to myself, "they're in the A/C, and you know they're not working for free. why am I?" So I started charging them. 3 years of mowing for free, but once I started charging them my phone started ringing from other neighbors. The next thing I knew I was mowing 40some lawns and had some nice equipment. I enlisted the help of a guy here at the office and he enjoys it so much that a few years later he quit to do it full-time.

I only have around 50 lawns now and spend a couple of hours a day mowing. It's the landscaping, mulch and leaf work that I don't enjoy and I sub that out, taking 33% for the overhead. My kids are 13 and 16 now and have been helping me the last 3 years. They work every bit as hard as I do. Every now and then my wife will help out, and it's funny to watch my kids reprimand her on quality and make her re-do her work. They know how particular I am and they have become just as particular.

Last night some new company left a door hanger on my front door. $99/mo. You can't pay yourself, taxes, insurance, equipment at that price. It's frustrating to watch companies like that come and go each year. Every now and then I'll give someone a quote and they'll say "well the kid down the street used to cut it for $25." And I always have the same response.

"If the kid down the street hit your vinyl siding with the trimmer, did he have insurance to pay for the repairs? If he injured someone with his mower? And when it rained for a week and the sun finally came out, but that Friday night he had other plans, was he willing to cancel his plans to make sure your lawn was taken care of before the rain started again? "

Most people don't realize how much fretting goes on with respect to their customers, trying to make their lives easier. Mine know me and trust me. I've always had the promise that if everything is not 100% perfect you don't have to pay for it. In all these years not one person has ever had a complaint.

I don't hassle customers about money. I have one family where he's the sole breadwinner and they have a kid in college so I know money is tight. They may go 2-3 months between payments, but I know they'll pay. They were really behind last year and just the other day I received the final payment for them for last season's mowing. Get that from a Robomower.

Last edited:
There are some days it's hard to believe people pay me to do it. In early spring when the grass is at its greenest and has a unique aroma. And on a cool autumn day, there's nothing like it.

I started out more than 20 years ago just helping an elderly neighbor. Then on one of those 100+ degree days I noticed the cleaning service van in the drive, like it is 3 days a week, and thought to myself, "they're in the A/C, and you know they're not working for free. why am I?" So I started charging them. 3 years of mowing for free, but once I started charging them my phone started ringing from other neighbors. The next thing I knew I was mowing 40some lawns and had some nice equipment. I enlisted the help of a guy here at the office and he enjoys it so much that a few years later he quit to do it full-time.

I only have around 50 lawns now and spend a couple of hours a day mowing. It's the landscaping, mulch and leaf work that I don't enjoy and I sub that out, taking 33% for the overhead. My kids are 13 and 16 now and have been helping me the last 3 years. They work every bit as hard as I do. Every now and then my wife will help out, and it's funny to watch my kids reprimand her on quality and make her re-do her work. They know how particular I am and they have become just as particular.

Last night some new company left a door hanger on my front door. $99/mo. You can't pay yourself, taxes, insurance, equipment at that price. It's frustrating to watch companies like that come and go each year. Every now and then I'll give someone a quote and they'll say "well the kid down the street used to cut it for $25." And I always have the same response.

"If the kid down the street hit your vinyl siding with the trimmer, did he have insurance to pay for the repairs? If he injured someone with his mower? And when it rained for a week and the sun finally came out, but that Friday night he had other plans, was he willing to cancel his plans to make sure your lawn was taken care of before the rain started again? "

Most people don't realize how much fretting goes on with respect to their customers, trying to make their lives easier. Mine know me and trust me. I've always had the promise that if everything is not 100% perfect you don't have to pay for it. In 18 years not one person has ever had a complaint.

I don't hassle customers about money. I have one family where he's the sole breadwinner and they have a kid in college so I know money is tight. They may go 2-3 months between payments, but I know they'll pay. They were really behind last year and just the other day I received the final payment for them for last season's mowing. Get that from a Robomower.

I mostly like mowing, enjoy snow blowing a lot more. No way I would pay someone to mow.

That said, I gladly pay the $30/mo to have someone come through the yard each week (right before the weekend starts) and remove the dog waste.

Here's one:

A_robot_pushing_a_lawn_mower_110713-235533-383009.jpg

First they are mowing your lawns, next it will be judgement day, don't do it!

Most people don't realize how much fretting goes on with respect to their customers, trying to make their lives easier. Mine know me and trust me. I've always had the promise that if everything is not 100% perfect you don't have to pay for it. In all these years not one person has ever had a complaint.

I'm shocked to learn anyone that does this kind of work speaks english as well as you do. You should put in for your citizenship exam, I think you'd pass pretty easy.

I'm shocked to learn anyone that does this kind of work speaks english as well as you do. You should put in for your citizenship exam, I think you'd pass pretty easy.

this isn't even funny...bigoted, yes, funny, no

That "Mow Money" thing was funny as hell.
Amirite?!?

this isn't even funny...bigoted, yes, funny, no

I'm not ever gonna be politically correct but I do call em as I see em. Here in South Florida I have a neighbor that pays a bit more than I do for an all english speaking landscaping company. Trouble is most of those guys are ex-cons on their first job from getting out of the slammer.

How does that thing know it's about to eat a kid or your dog?

I can see it working on a small well maintained St. Augustine lawn maybe, but I bet it won't cut it on TX bahia, native, or rye...

If my accurate observations of our world have offended you then I have succeeded.

Well, the observation is one thing, the statement that someone that is articulate in English and in the landscaping business couldn't already be an American though just makes you an *******. You took it one step too far from a non politically correct observation, to bigoted garbage. That was your choice, no one else's.

I didn't say I was offended. I pointed out that your post was bigoted.

Yeah, but..............

Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are bigots and NO one has the balls to call that out....:mad:........:rolleyes:

Yeah, but..............

Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are bigots and NO one has the balls to call that out....:mad:........:rolleyes:

:confused: Seriously? They scream it on Fox. Look at any Internet forum and it's in millions of posts, like yours. Bigotry is part and parcel to our macro-economic system

Yeah, but..............

As far as I know those two guys aren't posting on POA.

Back