Anyone used GATTS recently?

Njonl

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Njonl
I started instrument training two years ago. I got 20 hrs into it, but had to stop due to a crazy work/life schedule. My schedule is still just as hectic now, but I want to finish my training and move on. I’m considering using Gatts to get it done. I don’t have my own airplane to use, so I’d be using theirs. They advertise having a 172 RG with dual G430’s. I’m just wondering if anyone on here has been through their IFR course using their plane? Curious about the experience. Thanks!

Don't know about GATTS but would want at least one of those 430's to be a 430W.

I did in 2013 in the freakin' cold of winter. Used the 172 Cutlass for all of it. Normally I fly my Grumman so it was a learning curve to fly the Cessna. The course was exactly as advertised. I would highly recommend it. Nice place, great staff, well maintained equipment. Couple of pix for ya.

IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0269.JPG

I did in 2013 in the freakin' cold of winter. Used the 172 Cutlass for all of it. Normally I fly my Grumman so it was a learning curve to fly the Cessna. The course was exactly as advertised. I would highly recommend it. Nice place, great staff, well maintained equipment. Couple of pix for ya.

View attachment 67244 View attachment 67245 View attachment 67246 View attachment 67247
Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! I’m going to send you a PM if you don’t mind.

Check with them on their DPE availability. GATTS is a full service place, so their DPE schedule might drive when they can get the training on the calendar. I've heard they have sent students to other airports for checkrides, but I'm not sure how many times that's happened. Just something to think about.

I’ve always been more a fan of slim ASA ones
Gatts is just more than I need

fuel-tester-standard-p1006-20693_medium.jpg

I will be going there in December for Commercial Pilot course.

Details on that hotel look amazing. How much of the town is like that? Wikipedia says Manhattan KS was founded in 1850s.
Its a small college town, reminded me of college station. Very friendly locals. The hotel was nice had a kitchen and separate bedroom, lots of places to eat within walking distance. Here are some more pictures from the hotel.

IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0270.JPG

Find out where you are doing you checkride at, the KTOP DPE is no longer working.
If you end up closer to LWC/IXD/OJC for your checkride, PM me.

Why exactly?
It used to be a GPS approach was a GPS approach and any IFR certified GPS was capable of depicting all of them. Now there are multiple types of GPS approaches. non WAAS 430's (and all non-WAAS IFR certified GPS units) cannot display WAAS approaches and thus a student would not gain the experience of learning them in a non-WAAS equipped aircraft.
Edit, I see you are a cfii. Perhaps you know more than I do. Do you have a way to teach without the benefit of seeing it in real time in the plane?

It used to be a GPS approach was a GPS approach and any IFR certified GPS was capable of depicting all of them. Now there are multiple types of GPS approaches. non WAAS 430's (and all non-WAAS IFR certified GPS units) cannot display WAAS approaches and thus a student would not gain the experience of learning them in a non-WAAS equipped aircraft.
Edit, I see you are a cfii. Perhaps you know more than I do. Do you have a way to teach without the benefit of seeing it in real time in the plane?
Lnav +v simulates it quite nicely :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I used them for my IFR three years ago. I can’t say enough good things about them. That was one of the most relaxing vacations I ever had and I feel very confident flying IMC in my plane.

Gary

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! I’m going to send you a PM if you don’t mind.
Im interested in GATTS too for IFR finish-up. Similar situation as yours. Heard many great things about their program. Did you use them for your IFR finish-up and how was it? Any tips? Thanks!

Back