Anyone still use VORs?

IFR has a good article about the Minimum Operating Network in the most recent issue.

Brifly, when it is fully implemented pilots will be able to tune and identify a VOR within 77 miles at 5000agl or higher, navigate to a designated MON airport (VOR or ILS approach) within 100nm,or navigate to an area where radar service is provided. Keep in mind that the whole MON idea is to provide a backup in the case of total GPS failure as a means of getting planes on the ground safely...it is an emergency measure.

Bob Gardner

Good lord. I'll have to be sucking O2 around here to navigate on that. 5000 AGL. That's just stupid in 6000'+ MSL average terrain.

Let's force someone having an emergency to an altitude where they'll naturally become stupider...

See the (L) before VORW/DME? Low VOR, good for about 40 miles, line of sight. Might be some hills around there?

I just used one the other day. Flying from PHL to FRG, I got a weird clearance and expected a totally different one. I got PNE PNE090 radial to join V276 DIXIE....I used the GPS to navigate to PNE then tracked the 090 radial to V276, joined the airway and then on course. I'm sure there was an easier way to input it into the Cirrus with GPS but I didn't know how to do it.

I flew V389 today with both the VOR heads and Foreflight.

Even did a ground VOR check at PUB. 0 degrees off on either OBS at 3.8 miles out. Wrote it in zeeee book.

(Don't know why. We have a VOT on the field at home. Just felt like parking on the painted arrow for run up I guess.)

Back