Anyone noticed the poor annunciation

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
from the ATIS computer's voice at class B airports? :dunno:

I bet the tax payers paid dearly for a computer to read whatever is entered into a database and the audio stinks. It was the same automated voice at Kansas City International and Memphis.

Is it a new thing or are these just older systems?

The super AWOS at some nearby fields are great, clear and easy to understand, and sound almost human.

Considering how long TTS has been around and how well it has worked for the past couple of decades, I wonder what they use for the TTS.

I haven't spent enough time listening to class B airports to have anything to complain about, though.

Never had an issue with Bravo ATIS audio.

I've never flown anything advanced enough to have ATIS annunciators...:dunno:

:D

Yeah, I listened to the ATL robovoice as I passed the other day. Reminded my of early-80s TRS-80 computers from Shadio Rack . . .

How little would it cost to put a modern voice synthesizer at the few Bravos out there? Sure would be nice.

I heard they use the same software that Billy from Radio K.A.O.S used.

It's not just the Class B.

Our ATIS "voice" here at El Paso (or it says it...El Pay-so) has a few weird quirks. "Delta" is pronounced "Dedda". And there are sometimes gaps or a lack of in the reading.

"Towering cumulus...............................in the vicinity. Clouds topping mountianswestnorthwestsouthwest.

Advise on initial contact you have ...................................information tango.

:dunno:

Agree with Mike! Sunday, "El Pay-so eh-it-is information Zhulu"
and all the drunken pauses!
I wonder if he went to El-pay-so to eat a Tay-co?!

Our ATIS "voice" here at El Paso (or it says it...El Pay-so) has a few weird quirks. "Delta" is pronounced "Dedda". And there are sometimes gaps or a lack of in the reading.

"Towering cumulus...............................in the vicinity. Clouds topping mountianswestnorthwestsouthwest.

Advise on initial contact you have ...................................information tango.

:dunno:

I always refer to that as the Stephen Hawking ATIS.

Our ATIS "voice" here at El Paso (or it says it...El Pay-so) has a few weird quirks. "Delta" is pronounced "Dedda". And there are sometimes gaps or a lack of in the reading.:dunno:

I like how the El Paso ATIS pronounces WHISKEY as WILKEY:no:

Kandahar's ATIS sounds like Stephen Hawking. That voice should be trademarked.

I always thought the voice had a German/European accent but never found it hard to understand.

So when a controller asks if you have the current ATIS do they say "whiskey" or "wilkey"?

I think they intentionally avoid it by asking generically if you have the current ATIS. I like to be a smart arse and make initial call up "with information WILKEY":lol:

The Schwarzenegger/Hawking ATIS voice software is pretty bad.
Hawking ATIS

I am pretty sure the majority of Air Force Bases use Star Caster. Never had a problem understanding it. The guy in the video is the actual voice of the ATIS
StarCaster ATIS

Last edited:
Too bad KELP only has the ASOS by phone. Normal ASOS/AWOS voice, none of the fun listed above :(

from the ATIS computer's voice at class B airports? :dunno:

I bet the tax payers paid dearly for a computer to read whatever is entered into a database and the audio stinks. It was the same automated voice at Kansas City International and Memphis.

Is it a new thing or are these just older systems?

The super AWOS at some nearby fields are great, clear and easy to understand, and sound almost human.

Annunciation: an announcing or being announced
an announcement
(often used about the announcement by Angel Gabriel to Mary that she was to bear the child Jesus)

enunciate: 1. To pronounce; articulate.
2. To state or set forth precisely or systematically: enunciate a doctrine.
3. To announce; proclaim.
usually meant to speak clearly so that listeners can understand easily

There was a Motorola chip for most of these voices at first. Pretty easy to use it in a circuit, too. Cheap.

I'd have to hear it to know if it's that chipset but I used it enough in various things, I can always recognize it.

The NOAA/NWS "All Hazards" voice has gone through a number of iterations and it's still pretty goofy.

Sometimes the talker malfunctions. Bunches of these videos on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/M6sbXr2AZ1o

I would love to hear that! Got a link to a recording, by any chance? :)
I don't. I wish I could make one, but I value my job. I googled OAKN ATIS KANDAHAR and came up empty as well. Sorry. :redface:

It's kind of interesting hearing ATIS/Stephen Hawking giving a caution about the three aerostats flying south of the runway or the occasional warning about lasers, small arms fire or other hazards to flight that pilots have encountered within the last few hours on approach or departure.

Back