Anyone looking for a fun project/present/airplane rifle?

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Sweeeet deal on a pretty good little shooter /bush gun, just add a $80 lower and bobs your uncle

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...de-moe-ept-rifle-kit-rear-mbus-516444983.html

516444983.jpg

Dang,that's a good deal on a 16" AR-15 (minus the lower). Note that you'll need to add an iron rear sight or your own holographic target sight.

Dang,that's a good deal on a 16" AR-15 (minus the lower). Note that you'll need to add an iron rear sight or your own holographic target sight.

It comes with a rear sight

"Rear Sight: Magpul MBUS Rear Flip-Up Sight"

Missed that! Even better! I may have do get this since I’ve got an “extra” lower laying around. Thanks James!

I'm just shocked at how much ar pricing has fallen all the way around. That's certainly not a bad deal, but it's really not that far off of some of the deals you see from time to time on complete guns.

I never really wanted one and stumbled into a great deal on one during one of the various pricing run ups following a news event. Bought it, and have had a blast shooting it in a "plinking" kind of way. I put a Nikon 2-8x scope on mine and like it pretty good. Have buddies with various fixed power "tactical" scopes on theirs and I just don't get as much utility out of them. I'm not clearing houses with the thing... I'm pointing at crap in a field and saying "reckon I can hit that?"

Between the AR and a .17hmr I just bought, my poor .22 never really sees daylight.

Slightly changing gears, I just bought a 6.5CM that I'll probably have to save another 6 months before I can put a proper optic on it, but I'm excited nonetheless.

I've got a couple like that, and have built a couple with similar parts from PSA. I use Andersen Mfg lowers ... for $50 or less.

My next gun is a Hi Point 10mm Carbine which should be out in a couple of weeks. It will match the 10mm I carry every day. The 10mm will be good for the hog hunt next month. When I travel I carry a 10/22 takedown in the plane.

I'm not a fan of the AR. When I was in Iraq, I carried an MP-5.

Slightly changing gears, I just bought a 6.5CM that I'll probably have to save another 6 months before I can put a proper optic on it, but I'm excited nonetheless.

Congrats on the 6.5CM! That should be exciting! i just completed my AR-10 with a 24” bull barrel and an ATN Xsight 2.

...It will match the 10mm I carry every day.

Now there’s a manly-man firearm! If the 10mm round doesn’t take out the bad guy, the ejecting brass will! I’ve never seen brass fly higher or farther than from a 10mm!

Extra AR parts turn into a whole nuther AR just like this. "Hey, I have an extra buffer spring..."

Not just AR's... I have projects ranging from motorcycles to cars to jet skis that all started with that fateful (and flawed, if you ask my wife) line of reasoning...

"I have that 350 out of the truck we scrapped... I should find something to put it in..."

Fast forward, I've pulled a running inline six out of a truck to stick a 350 in.

"I've got that perfectly good 250 inline... I should find something to put it in..."

And so it goes.

Also, Merry Christmas.

That's a sweet deal. I just built a pretty nice AR so don't really need another one. Then again, hmm...

Why is piecemealing AR's together such a thing?

AR-15s are built to mil-spec tolerances, so you can mix and match parts to your liking. Some like a 2 stage trigger, some like a single stage, light break trigger. Some prefer certain barrel lengths and twist depending on the slug weight they prefer to use. Lots of variables for the intended purpose.

What's the favorite scope/scope type on an AR?

What’s the favorite, or what can I afford? LOL! I like Leupold scopes, but can’t afford them. I have used a Nikon scope on my 10/22 and really liked it, and would consider adding a Nikon P-223 to any new build for any kind of distance shooting. But for CQB, I’d just use a holographic red dot.

Same reason Cessna makes more than one airplane

Diffrent missions, and the modular nature of the AR makes it great for quite a wide profile.

What's the favorite scope/scope type on an AR?

Depends on the mission I guess, for my 18" med contour I have a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 and a jpoint reflex sight on a 45 degree mount with a 65moa ring and a 1 MOA dot for sub 50yrd shooting.

image.png

I personally don't care to build one or even really accessorize mine, but I have been surprised at how enjoyable I find the shooting...so if building one gets you there cheaply, or you have fun piecing it together exactly as you choose, I can see the allure. I'm only $425 into mine, ready to shoot with 3 magazines and a flip-up rear sight. Added a one piece scope base and Nikon 2-8 power plus a case of ammo and still haven't hit 4 digits.

That's my joke when shooting with my buddy who has all the $$$ doo-dad's on his. I spend my "accessory" money on ammo.

It is kinda like LEGO’s for big kids that like guns.

The Lego's approach has never appealed to me. Like the Dan Wesson revolvers with a big set of interchangeable barrels. Just give me something between 4 and 6 inches barrel length in a revolver and we'll call it good.

Don't get me wrong, love AR's, I cut my teeth on them (literally, long story involving a fall from a helicopter) but if I were to buy a 5.56 for personal use, it would be a Mini 14.

I have had a bare bones lower sitting in my sock draw since the first Obama administration. Perhaps it is time to do something with it.
I like the classic 20" A2 but it seems like everyone goes for the M4 style. Which should I get?

The Lego's approach has never appealed to me. Like the Dan Wesson revolvers with a big set of interchangeable barrels. Just give me something between 4 and 6 inches barrel length in a revolver and we'll call it good.

Don't get me wrong, love AR's, I cut my teeth on them (literally, long story involving a fall from a helicopter) but if I were to buy a 5.56 for personal use, it would be a Mini 14.
There is no right or wrong here. Just answering your question.

I have had a bare bones lower sitting in my sock draw since the first Obama administration. Perhaps it is time to do something with it.
I like the classic 20" A2 but it seems like everyone goes for the M4 style. Which should I get?

I much orefer the timeless look of walnut.

You don’t have to pick one or the other. Get some of each!

Ruin beautiful carved walnut by keeping some plastic on it???

(I've spent 30 years in injection molding . . . Replacing very little wood.)

My next gun is a Hi Point 10mm Carbine which should be out in a couple of weeks. It will match the 10mm I carry every day. The 10mm will be good for the hog hunt next month. When I travel I carry a 10/22 takedown in the plane.

I'm not a fan of the AR. When I was in Iraq, I carried an MP-5.

Seriously? You trust your life to a Hi Point!??

For a mid price range complete AR, can someone provide some insight on which brands are recommended, and which are to be avoided? There seems to be a lot of options now.

For a mid price range complete AR, can someone provide some insight on which brands are recommended, and which are to be avoided? There seems to be a lot of options now.

Nothing wrong with PSA. It's not mid price (it's low price), but good quality for the price.

IMO, there are many good quality brands, including Smith and Wesson, Colt, Armalite... hard to go wrong with one versus another. But most will come with good 16” barrels, but may not be match grade. This is fine for most, and barrels are consumables... so after 10,000 or more rounds, your barrel will not be as accurate as new due to wear (which is normal and expected.)

I'm just shocked at how much ar pricing has fallen all the way around. That's certainly not a bad deal, but it's really not that far off of some of the deals you see from time to time on complete guns.

I never really wanted one and stumbled into a great deal on one during one of the various pricing run ups following a news event. Bought it, and have had a blast shooting it in a "plinking" kind of way. I put a Nikon 2-8x scope on mine and like it pretty good. Have buddies with various fixed power "tactical" scopes on theirs and I just don't get as much utility out of them. I'm not clearing houses with the thing... I'm pointing at crap in a field and saying "reckon I can hit that?"

Between the AR and a .17hmr I just bought, my poor .22 never really sees daylight.

Yeah those .17HMR's are quite the tack drivers aren't they? One of my funnest guns to shoot

TONS of options. Seems like everybody makes one these days. Can get a Colt 6940 for about a grand. LWRC, as a James mentioned, is nice, but I don't know if it's 'mid range' priced. Should be a bunch out there in the $800 - $1200 range

TONS of options. Seems like everybody makes one these days. Can get a Colt 6940 for about a grand. LWRC, as a James mentioned, is nice, but I don't know if it's 'mid range' priced. Should be a bunch out there in the $800 - $1200 range

I'd say 2k is pretty midrange, PMAs are the lower end truck guns, but still something you can trust at 500-800 bucks, other end is something like what I built at around 6k, so a LWRC is about middle road I'd think.

Y'all are dumping on the man's hi point 10mm

I have owned a 10mm 1911 from the CZ/Dan Wesson/ghost custom shop for 6-7 years. Been back to ghost twice and then finally to a smith in NC to get it to run halfway consistently. In the same timeframe, my Taurus single stack .45 compact has run 2,500+ rounds without a single failure mode. (I know the number is 2,500+ because after 2,500 pieces of brass I got less vigilant about picking up the casings before I bush hogged.)

That Taurus was $299. The 1911 was $1700...

I wouldn't dump on a gun just because of pricing.

All that said, a hi point? :D

YES!, let's count the things I've trusted my life to...

Military equipment supplied by the lowest bidder from trucks to scuba gear to cargo planes and helicopters; even parachutes packed by high school drop-outs. I've rappelled off some pretty steep mountains and an occasional skid on a single rope. I've driven the highways of America and the streets of many countries in the middle east and Europe. I've worked in the rocket propulsion field for years and dealt with some highly toxic chemicals. And I fly a 50 year old plane.

I trust a Hi Point because I take care of my stuff and make sure it works when I need it. I guess you could say I'm living proof.

Y'all are dumping on the man's hi point 10mm

I wouldn't dump on a gun just because of pricing.

All that said, a hi point? :D

Now, don't put on everybody. *I* was dumping on it. And I never mentioned price. I'm dumping on it cuz it's a Hi Point!

Back