Anyone Live in the Knoxville Area?

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
Since accepting the offer I've been debating back and forth if I want to commute again or move to base. One of the bases I would greatly enjoy would be Knoxville.

Anyone living in the area that can give a recommendation on a good area within an hours drive?

I just returned from Knoxville, TN Wednesday. I was in the Lenoir City, Loudon area. Really enjoy the area, Little Tennessee river, lots of boating in the area. I think Fast Eddie is in that area. I have a 2 bedroom house at Tellico Village for sale $175,000 on a golf course. PM me.

I can't help you but I'll add that I've been meaning to check out the area as well, more just for fly-in food/beer/golf/redneck-ho's. I'm trying to find out if they have water taxi's that could get me from KDKX to Calhoun's.

Lived in Knoxville for 12 years and didn't enjoy it much, but the town was in the process of evolving into a more happenin' spot when I left. It was REALLY cheap to live there, so there is that. The lakes and mountains are pretty, but air quality is horrible, so if you have any breathing issues and/or lack the desire to develop any, might consider elsewhere.

Thought they were building a pedestrian bridge. Can always Uber a ride. Calhoun's is pretty good.

walking is, well, it's kind of like 'exercise'. I was hoping for door to door and thought the river would be more fun than ubering but yeah, even the fbo has a loaner so it's not like I can't get there. just wanted the funnest way to get there.

Lived in Knoxville for 12 years and didn't enjoy it much, but the town was in the process of evolving into a more happenin' spot when I left. It was REALLY cheap to live there, so there is that. The lakes and mountains are pretty, but air quality is horrible, so if you have any breathing issues and/or lack the desire to develop any, might consider elsewhere.

Why's the air quality so bad? That's surprising.

I'd speculate it is because you're West of the Appalachians which trap pollution given the prevailing winds. Sorta the same problem as the LA basin, but on a smaller scale.

It sits in a valley to the west of the Smoky's, which are heavily polluted... rivals L.A.
More on that: https://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/nature/air-quality.htm

Supposedly it is improving, but it was definitely a big problem when I lived there... the sky usually had an ugly yellowish haze. http://www.local8now.com/content/news/Knox-County-given-bad-grade-on-air-quality--376442541.html

But there are good things about the area - affordability and scenic views both being high on that list.

No state income tax! Up towards Johnson City/Bristol nice area. Not sure how far, at least an hour to two I would guess. Oak Ridge to the west of TYS, think it's called "rocket City", bug nuclear lab and plant there.

I'm about an hour and 10 minutes from Knoxville and go up that way about once a month. Other than the forest fires we've had in E Tennessee over the past month or so, the air quality in Knoxville is just fine. The Middlebrook Pike neighborhood of Knoxville is an area to look into.

Kingston Pike is the main drag and has been greatly developed over the years. Downtown Knox is a little more urban but still a nice area. I'd have no problem living there. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Just look at a US air quality map and you'll see every major US city has issues with AQI. Knox is nothing compared to ATL. Even then, ATL has improved immensely since the 1990s. As have pretty much every city in the US. Plenty of clear weather days in the Smokies.

I'm in the process of moving back, just gotta find a job! Went to school in Knoxville, moved to Indiana, moved back to Knoxville, moved to Georgia, planning on being back in Knoxville in a month or two.

If I was in your situation I'd consider the Maryville area or maybe even Townsend. Personally I'd choose that just to be closer to the smokies, and you still wouldn't be too far from TYS. I've always lived in the West Knoxville area, and really love Knoxville.

I'm in the process of moving back, just gotta find a job! Went to school in Knoxville, moved to Indiana, moved back to Knoxville, moved to Georgia, planning on being back in Knoxville in a month or two.

If I was in your situation I'd consider the Maryville area or maybe even Townsend. Personally I'd choose that just to be closer to the smokies, and you still wouldn't be too far from TYS. I've always lived in the West Knoxville area, and really love Knoxville.

Maryville is nice.

WIthin an hours drive you can pretty much live anywhere in east tn. Maryville is alright quieter than knox but kinda dull, Lenior city is turning into west knoxville and i'm sure property values will follow. West knoxville/farragut is nice and a quick trip on the pellissippi autobahn to ktys. South and east knoxville typically is the more sketchy area, oak ridge has some nice areas but its a really old town and your gonna get hit up for money in the walmart parking lot lol. I'd offer you a place to stay and check it out but you'd be on an air mattress.

If i was going to live around KTYS, I would look at the hills the the east. Unless your a city type guy. Ive been up there a few times and its pretty nice.

I live east of Knoxville near Johnson City tn.
The Knoxville airport is south of town and there are some pretty areas southeast of ktys in the Appalachians.
Oak Ridge was mentioned. I have worked there. interesting town and history. I heard that it has the highest percentage of residents with a phd education of any town and because of it they have a very good public school system.

Back