Anyone know of a way to search for locations online?

JMike

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JMike
Hi! I'm new to the forum and registered so I can ask a lot of pilots one specific question. Does anyone know if a website that I can go to in order to find specific locations on a sectional or low enroute? For example, if I wanted to search for "Fort Benning, Georgia" is there a web site that will show that location on an aviation chart? This would allow you to locate an airport close to Fort Benning. I have tried searching for this for a while but it's hard to word. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

only thing I know of is to try skyvector

Yeah I tried SkyVector while I have been searching. All it does is allow you to search for airports, fixes, etc. What I am looking for is hard to put in to words in order to search for it. I'm hoping there is someone here who knows of a website like that. There has got to be a website out there that you can search for businesses or locations like you can on Google Maps but instead of showing road maps, satellite images, and things like that, it shows a sectional or a low enroute chart.

I've been known to google map a location then use it to search for airports

That was one thing that I eventually did. I'm planning on flying to Memphis this weekend to meet up with some friends and go to Rendezvous, which I have never been to before. I knew it was in Memphis but I didn't know exactly where so I had to google it, then try to find the approximate location on a sectional so that I could see what airport I wanted to land at. Luckily, there is a significant bend in the river that is close to there so this one was easy. I was just wondering if there is a method that is a little less "PITA". There has GOT to be a website out there that will do this. If not, what is taking so long?!?!

Try air nav they can usually get you in the area if there is an airport close by.

Right, but it doesn't allow you to search for a specific location. It only allows you to search for airports.
No, you may search for a city name also. Try it.

Right, but it doesn't allow you to search for a specific location. It only allows you to search for airports.

It finds airports. The search can be for a city. Pick one of the airports on the list and then scroll down the page and look on the right side. See the portion of a sectional? Click on it and the sectional will pop-up.

I'm not sure you guys understand what I am looking for. I believe that TangoWhiskey is the closest though. I'm not looking for a city, or airport, or town, etc. I'm wanting to be able to search for "Louisiana Tech University" and the location of the university pop up on a sectional. It would pop up just like it would on Google Maps or MapQuest or any other website like that but the only difference being, instead of a street map, aviation charts.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not wanting to know where Louisiana Tech is. I was using that simply as an example.

For a well-known feature such as the Rainbow Bridge or Devil's Tower, you can go to Wikipedia and look it up. Usually there is a quick summary that include the lat and long, which can be inserted in most map programs and in aviation GPS:

Devils Tower:
Location Crook County, Wyoming, USA
Range Black Hills
Coordinates 44°35′26″N 104°42′56″W

I'm not sure you guys understand what I am looking for. I believe that TangoWhiskey is the closest though. I'm not looking for a city, or airport, or town, etc. I'm wanting to be able to search for "Louisiana Tech University" and the location of the university pop up on a sectional. It would pop up just like it would on Google Maps or MapQuest or any other website like that but the only difference being, instead of a street map, aviation charts.

Whatever you do don't adapt your wants to take advantage of something that is readily available and has been pointed out to you.

What I described will work. Google Earth will also find landmarks.

Awesome! Thanks guys! That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!

Back