Anyone know a good A&P in the vicinity of Atlanta?

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
More specifically in the vicinity of Thomaston-Upson County Airport, KOPN?

Thomaston is way south of Atlanta. You might try one of the shops at Griffin-Spalding (6A2). Probably the closest airport to Thomaston with a good choice of services. Guys down there have been doing my avionics for over a decade.

Is the Free Bird stuck down there or you getting something new and need a pre-buy?

You might try pinging GTMule. He lives down that way.

What kind of Mooney? Details.

What kind of Mooney? Details.

What I'm looking at is a 1962 M20C with outstanding cosmetics, a low time engine and bladders (the Mooney wet wing leaks after 3 or 4 decades, fuel bladders, while spendy, are one way to solve this issue for the long term). The panel has lots of King avionics, though only a VFR GPS (if I'm right its the same damn one I have in the Free Bird). But it has VORs, a DME, an ADF (the owner uses it to listen to ball games of course) and an autopilot that can be run from the GPS or a heading bug and will hold heading (sort of like the old Mooney wing levelers, but better). Thus it is an IFR capable aircraft and will serve as my IFR trainer. I will replace the VFR GPS with one more suitable at my earliest convenience, which might be awhile since I'll be mighty broke after this.

This is by a good margin the nicest airplane I've seen so far. But the kicker is the owner is actually looking to trade a Cherokee or some other low and slow aircraft. I can think of no finer low and slow aircraft than the Free Bird. I hope those of you who have seen my mighty steed in person would agree. I will miss this aircraft quite dearly, I have never before had such confidence in a machine and fear I never will again. But I am done flying slow, if I can help it.

This just came up today. My plan is to fly down to Georgia Friday, weather permitting. My hope is we can do test flights and pre-buys on both aircraft Saturday, and come to an agreement. If all works out I'll hire a CFI to accompany me and the aircraft back to my home base (I will need transitioning both for insurance and good common sense).

That is how things stand. Wish me luck.

Thought of Lance Flynn?? ...he owns or owned a Mooney and is in those parts...

Thought of Lance Flynn?? ...he owns or owned a Mooney and is in those parts...

You mean Lance F? Pretty certain I've met him, though I didn't know he was a mechanic. If we're talking about the same guy I'd love to have him do it if he's available.

There is a Mooney Service Center at Rome Georgia. KRMG - 50 miles NW of Atlanta. It might be worth speaking with them for either a lead on someone South of the city or to have them do the inspection.

There is a Mooney Service Center at Rome Georgia. KRMG - 50 miles NW of Atlanta. It might be worth speaking with them for either a lead on someone South of the city or to have them do the inspection.

I was there once! What a good idea!

Awesome Michael!

Is China still going to be a partner? Can he fit in an M20C?

Awesome Michael!

Is China still going to be a partner? Can he fit in an M20C?

He will fit, and might rejoin me later this summer. He is in the middle of a divorce (long story, get him just a bit drunk and you'll hear all about it…) but once he recovers financially has plans to fly again.

As you know, I used to fly an M20F. Mooneys are great planes, I like the bladders, and it's a good IFR aircraft, albeit slippery and rides like a hardtail Harley on the ground. Greasers are doable.

Good luck and enjoy.

I will keep you all in the loop. I am all too well aware of my own shortcomings in this arena, but can hopefully muddle through. My one Mooney landing thus far was firm to say the least, but we didn't break anything. Indeed, I've had worse. I imagine we all have. Thank you and everyone else for your counsel.

I will keep you all in the loop. I am all too well aware of my own shortcomings in this arena, but can hopefully muddle through. My one Mooney landing thus far was firm to say the least, but we didn't break anything. Indeed, I've had worse. I imagine we all have. Thank you and everyone else for your counsel.

Firm and slow is good in a Mooney, they are way rugged on the main gear section. Where people get into trouble is adding speed to make a smooth 'drive on' landing. Mooney's don't tolerate porpoising well. Most planes you get two bounces before you get a prop strike, Mooney you get one, maybe.

Is there a chance that you can fly it to Rome for the inspection?

I think I have a guy lined up for an inspection at OPN. He's also a CFI, so he can give me some transition training. I'll need more, not certain who'll do that.

I think I have a guy lined up for an inspection at OPN. He's also a CFI, so he can give me some transition training. I'll need more, not certain who'll do that.

You may not need more than an hour or two, Mooneys are nice to fly once you get used to the heavier yoke feel vs C/P/B brands, but that gets worked out really quickly. If you already have your complex endorsement, I wouldn't be sweating it.

Be careful down here, temps have been hitting 3 digits every day and it's not supposed to slack up anytime soon. And, the air is so thick you can slice it right now.

You mean Lance F? Pretty certain I've met him, though I didn't know he was a mechanic. If we're talking about the same guy I'd love to have him do it if he's available.

Yes sir.

I don't think he is a mechanic but is certainly a Mooney owner...he might have great insight into getting the inspection done in the area.

Yes sir.

I don't think he is a mechanic but is certainly a Mooney owner...he might have great insight into getting the inspection done in the area.

He might even fly home with you for an extended 'check out'.

Yes sir.

I might have an inspection worked out, the guy is local and doesn't know the owner (or os he says). He is a bit spendy ($0.4 AMU) though that could well be the going rate these days. Haven't done this in since 2001. Still it would be nice to hear a local say the guy is trustworthy.

I have send a PM to Lance to get his input (haven't' any other contact info). I'm certain I've meet him at some point.

This is all condition on the wx cooperating, which is ain't right now.

I might have an inspection worked out, the guy is local and doesn't know the owner (or os he says). He is a bit spendy ($0.4 AMU) though that could well be the going rate these days. Haven't done this in since 2001. Still it would be nice to hear a local say the guy is trustworthy.

I have send a PM to Lance to get his input (haven't' any other contact info). I'm certain I've meet him at some point.

This is all condition on the wx cooperating, which is ain't right now.

He is on Facebook as well...

that was Joey's old place. I believe he moved a few years ago.

I've lined up a local named Jim Vaughan, the Mooney owner knows him, though Vaughan hasn't seen the airplane, or at least so everyone claims. Easy verifiable with the log books. Seems a bit easier than flying it a hundred miles each way VFR.

Thats assuming I can get my hump down there.

Happy to hear. Know a local CFI with Mooney time?

not really, I used a few guys in the Warner Robins area for my instrument training, but neither of them had much mooney time. In fact I had to name them to my insurance b/c they didn't have enough hours in type to use my existing policy.

not really, I used a few guys in the Warner Robins area for my instrument training, but neither of them had much mooney time. In fact I had to name them to my insurance b/c they didn't have enough hours in type to use my existing policy.

Just talked to a fellow named Jeff Hayes, a CFI with a Mooney there. Unfortunately, both the guys at that airport gotta be back at work Monday (actually, so do I, but that never stopped me). I can probably get some of the hours I need for the insurance from these guys, but I will need more. Hopefully I'll find someone.

Plan is to fly down tomorrow if I can get the wx. Hope I can, this may be the last weekend I can do this for awhile.

Just talked to a fellow named Jeff Hayes, a CFI with a Mooney there. Unfortunately, both the guys at that airport gotta be back at work Monday (actually, so do I, but that never stopped me). I can probably get some of the hours I need for the insurance from these guys, but I will need more. Hopefully I'll find someone.

Plan is to fly down tomorrow if I can get the wx. Hope I can, this may be the last weekend I can do this for awhile.

small world. my daughter is planning to be at the Thomaston airport on Sunday to do some sky diving. I was thinking about joining her.

Had a busy day yestery so hadn't caught this thread. I've responded to my PM on this and hope I can help out. This is a perfect plane to do IFR training in and then into some great XCs. It is hot here but it's been VFR
Also true I'm not a mechanic, but I've been doing owner assisted annuals for seven years. Pretty sure I know I know most of the gotchas.

that was Joey's old place. I believe he moved a few years ago.

Yep, they're at Dalton. Although they're usually crammed with Mooneys, they somehow find time to work on my aircraft.

Well guys, I've had a pretty big wrench thrown in this whole thing. Looks like I'm going to have to scrub. Rats. Won't be able to do this again until August.

Back