Anyone interested in Mobile, Al?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Was thinking of a late summer gather in Mobile Al. Why would I think such a thing?

Saturday morning, land at Mobile downtown, grab a rental car, get lunch, and then spend the afternoon at the USS Alabama Battleship park. Tour the ship, sub, look at the historical aircraft, etc. Grab a hotel downtown, dinner, beers, explore downtown etc., and everyone fly out Sunday morning.

Just an idea anyway, will probably do it solo, but if others are interested, what the hey...

I have a couple other longer trips planned but I'm interested. even if it is alabama……..

Just an hour flight for me; maybe I could finally meet some of you guys to confirm you aren't all bots.

I am interested.

With the COVID mess we don’t have a lot planned other than working on a trip in mid-July.

doesn't @Ryanb know the place he teaches out of? we should schedule a 'fake' flight lesson/intro ride then surprise him.
Yeah he teaches at Over the Mountain Aviation @ KEET (Shelby County Airport). Might be worthwhile to stop in on the way down and say hey :)

Depending on how things COVID go over the next few weeks, I could definitely be interested. As an aside, I never would have picked Mobile as a place to visit for fun. Had to go there for work to a paper mill many years ago, not at all fun.

Interested...but it’s a Signature FBO airport. Ridiculous fees and sky high fuel prices. I try real hard to avoid them.

Fairhope Al is about 20 miles away. Nice place and minimal fees (though not 0 for overnight). Looks like SIgnature is about $30 in fees, but worth a phone call. @Bill Jennings - aren't you glad you brought this up :)

Interested...but it’s a Signature FBO airport. Ridiculous fees and sky high fuel prices. I try real hard to avoid them.

as is Mobile regional next door :-( Nothing like having a corner on the local market. Let me snoop a little.

KJKA is right across the bay, have lunch/dinner on the water there in gulf shores, maybe hit up dauphin island. I'd be interested depending on my job situation if Im gonna get the axe or have a 2nd one lined up. Callahan is also a decent airport a bit of a drive but its pretty cheap.

This could be fun. It'll most likely depend on when I finish my IR but if I have that and the weekend free I'd be interested!

I fly to JKA regularly from NEW for lunch at Lulu's and can vouch for their FBO. I think it would be much better than flying to JKA than into MOB for the reasons already mentioned. Also, Dauphin Island is geographically distinct from Gulfshores. It is on the other side of Mobile Bay and with traffic through the tunnel it is ~ 1 hour from Gulfshores. The battleship and B52 are on the JKA side of the bay anyway. If you want to fly into Dauphin Island, 4R9 is their airport. It is a fun and challenging airport as the runway is narrow, short, and on the water.

I try to avoid fees, but sometimes it just makes more sense. No need to "cut off your nose to spite your face."

We're looking at doing a trip to Charlotte as our youngest is moving there for work. Her office will be very near the main airport and the apartment complex she and her roommate like is not far from there either. If we do a day trip up there in the plane I plan on landing at CLT. Yeah, it may cost more, but I'll probably make up that cost in savings in the rental car price and more convenient to where we are going.

I've looked into the same when visiting our middle daughter in Lexington. Flying into LEX just makes far more sense than Georgetown or somewhere else cheaper, but 30+ minutes away.

That may be different for Lance F. They charge more for twins and his 414 burns more fuel. My $30 or $50 extra could be $200 extra for him.

4R9 is fun if people are comfortable with the runway. It's 3000x80 and a little rough.
38ffe3820f3d18ab62ae7e4aaee16f9c.jpg

JKA would be good fun if we can get a group together. The FBO had a bus for our EAA chapter and dropped us off/picked us up at Lulu's a couple of years ago.

OK, let me re-think this one a bit. The does JKA have rental cars? Haven't investigated yet.

Back