Anyone installed a Garmin Aera 660 in an AirGizmo dock?

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
In 2007, my Sky Arrow was delivered with an AirGizmo dock for a Garmin 496 handheld. It still gets the job done for my VFR flying, but after 16+ years it’s technology and user interface is showing it’s age.

29035395685_a8ecb5fd88_z.jpg

In light of that I’ve been eyeing the Aera 660. The AirGizmo dock for it seems identically sized to the 496 dock I currently have. I’ve downloaded the Pilot’s Guide, but have a few questions about how to wire it for basic power in, audio out, and the need for an external antenna.

Thanks in advance, and I’ll be more specific if someone has been down this road prior.

have a few questions about how to wire it for basic power in, audio out, and the need for an external antenna.
Did your 496 need an external antenna? I've been flying with a 660 and have not seen a need for one.

Power hookup should be obvious. Do you have an audio panel?

Did your 496 need an external antenna? I've been flying with a 660 and have not seen a need for one.

Power hookup should be obvious. Do you have an audio panel?

I don’t know if I needed one, but used one assuming reception would be better. No audio panel, but my 496 outputs via a 1/8” jack to my intercom for alerts.

From the manual:

53399521348_da357aea92_z.jpg

Does that dock easily remove from the yoke mount? In that case I could use that and just cut off the plug and wire it to my ”GPS“ breaker like my 496 is.

The dock is easily removed from the bracket. I’ve done that on several installations instead of buying Garmin’s bare wire dock.

I’ve never found a need for an external antenna on the 660.

I have a 660 in an AirGizmos dock hardwired into power and audio with an external antenna.
It feeds into my intercom (no audio panel) and provides a GPS signal to a Dynon EMS 10 D10A like yours, and is Bluetoothed to my GNX375. Can I help?

ETA: The GPS goes to the EMS, which feeds the EFIS, IAW Dynon installation manuals.

Nauga,
wired

Last edited:
I have my Aera 660 in the Air Gizmo dock. It’s audio is hardwired to my GMA 350c audio panel and it’s also hardwired to my GDL 51 XM radio and weather receiver. It’s Bluetoothed to the GTX-345 for ADS-B In/Out.

Very capable device with lots of great info. I should have installed a 760 though.

I did basically what you’re looking to do, about 5 years ago. The Airgizmo swap-out was easy. Switching over the wiring was also easy. Mine has the audio out going to my KMA24 (to the “tel” button) and I get the flight plan from my 355 just as the previous 396 got its flight plan from the 300XL I had before. The transition was easy. And I have a GDL50 Bluetoothed to it, giving weather and traffic plus an AHARS on the 660

Does that dock easily remove from the yoke mount? In that case I could use that and just cut off the plug and wire it to my ”GPS“ breaker like my 496 is.
Yup. Unbolt it from the factory mount and re-bolt it to the AirGizmo mount. You can do that and cut the plug or you can buy the hardwire kit from Garmin.

Thanks for all the input. I'll probably order the 660 some time after the 1st of the year, and I'll post any further questions back to this thread.

As an aside, on my 496 I really like the split screen with the "HSI" on the right. I especially like the faux "glideslope" that follows the programmed descent profile. I don't see a direct analog to that on the 660, but I'm sure I'll adapt.

As an aside, on my 496 I really like the split screen with the "HSI" on the right. I especially like the faux "glideslope" that follows the programmed descent profile. I don't see a direct analog to that on the 660, but I'm sure I'll adapt.
Unfortunately, some features like that have disappeared in the newer Garmin GPS offerings. The Aera 796 had a similar configuration, which I liked a lot. It went away when the 760 replaced it. As you say, you adapt, but it doesn’t make a person happy when they feel like they’re going backward in some instances.

My 660 just stays on the map page full time.

Thanks for all the input. I'll probably order the 660 some time after the 1st of the year, and I'll post any further questions back to this thread.

The 660 and 760 both have VNAV “faux glideslope” profile capability. It works great.
e039ae1ae3854316cac9f2a06b10bc5f.jpg

There is currently a Garmin sale on the 660 that ends 12/31. It’s $75 off now.

Here’s the 660 Pilots Guide. VNAV starts on pdf page 63.

I see you can follow the “glideslope” in the 3D view by the altitude tape:

53398848737_cf27474a8a_z.jpg

I usually use my iPhone for sectional info and ADSB-IN from my Raspberry Pi Stratux. So it might be reasonable to keep the 660 in 3D mode most of the time anyway.

edited to add: Apparently Fracpilot and I think along similar lines! Thanks for the link to the sale. I have both the Pilot Guide and the Quick Start on my iPad - which is where I got the image from.

Last edited:
I see you can follow the “glideslope” in the 3D view by the altitude tape:
I believe it also has "highway in the sky" boxes. I never used it, but I seem to recall trying it once and never turning it back on ever again.

It was paired to a GNX375, which is basically a hidden GTX345R. They send their AHRS data to the area via Connext (Bluetooth). Not sure if that is needed for the flight path marker either.

I was about to pull the trigger on the 660 via Amazon Prime. But now I’m having second thoughts.

We went for a pancake run this morning and I was reminded of how much I like the 496:

53401694319_5f55c00fb7_z.jpg

Above, descending into Cleveland, TN on the “glideslope”. It may be crude and outdated, but it still gets the job done.

The more I think about it, I’m not seeing the need to spend close to $1k right now, with tax and AirGizmo dock. Another factor: my 496 is getting WX via SiriusXM, somehow at no cost.* I have ADSB-IN displayed on my iPhone, but it’s nice having NEXRAD show on my 496 as well.

So, I’m going to put this project on hold for now. But if the 496 takes a dump one day, I’m pretty well versed on the 660 installation, so thanks for that.

*Please don’t tell anyone!

Kicking myself that I didn't leave space in my panel for a 660 or 760. Had I spent an extra AMU on a primary engine monitor instead of a JPI EDM 830, I could have tossed my engine gauges and fit the dock. Would love to have the GPS output hard wired into my EDM and an AV-30C in DG mode.

The more I think about it, I’m not seeing the need to spend close to $1k right now, with tax and AirGizmo dock. Another factor: my 496 is getting WX via SiriusXM, somehow at no cost.
If it were my decision, I would certainly come to the same conclusion for that very reason.

But as long as you have the money available, I'd look into sliding out the ICOM A200 and sliding in a A210 or A220. The newer radios add a lot of new features. And if you can add a wire, the 496 has the ability to push frequencies and identifiers to the A210/A220.

Back