Anyone Here Scuba Dive?

Matthew K

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Broke Engineer
Hello all!

Tomorrow I start my 3 day long open water scuba diving course. I wanted to see who else on here has their diving certificate, any advice, and any good scuba diving spots in the southern east coast area would be appreciated.

Also, what equipment would you recommend for a beginner? Everything for my training will be provided, but I want to go ahead and look into getting some equipment for after training so I don't have to rely on renting.

Hello all!

Tomorrow I start my 3 day long open water scuba diving course. I wanted to see who else on here has their diving certificate, any advice, and any good scuba diving spots in the southern east coast area would be appreciated.

Also, what equipment would you recommend for a beginner? Everything for my training will be provided, but I want to go ahead and look into getting some equipment for after training so I don't have to rely on renting.
Get yourself a really good mask and a decent snorkel first. Mask fit and comfort are very important and it's unlikely the rental equipment will work well for you. After that, I suggest you acquire a decent dive computer. Not only will you avoid struggling to learn a different computer's logic and hard to read scratched crystal, you also get to let the computer record all of your dives. I'd also seriously consider one that can interface with a laptop or tablet if your budget allows.

IMO, the next item to buy is a BC, preferably one with integral weights. You can also pick up several useful but fairly inexpensive items like a good knife, a compass, and a signalling device (whistle and or strobe).

got certified a couple years ago.
Go spend a few days in the Keys. Rainbow reef on Key Largo. Great group. Lots of good diving.

I'd get regs before a BC, but it is nice to have both. I live on the West coast and am not fond of cold water diving, so most of my diving requires travel on airlines. I do own weights and stuff when I dive locally (rare), but for traveling, you would always bring mask, snorkel, fins and possibly regs. I don't always haul the BC if I am space challenged. Yeah, as mentioned, get the dive computer first (after mask, fins, snorkel).

I'm advanced in both PADI and NAUI.

My suggestion is this: Before you start off tomorrow, research "DIR diving" tonight and see if you want to get into that instead. DIR is a completely different style of diving using a backplate/wing and standardized equipment - and provides extra safety. I started off conventional, but if I had to do it over I would absolutely start with DIR - otherwise you have to unlearn some bad habits.

The main benefit of DIR is safety. The second benefit is freedom - with DIR you're naturally horizontally oriented, where with conventional you're vertically orientated and all the cool stuff to look at are below your feet.

Last edited:
got certified a couple years ago.
Go spend a few days in the Keys. Rainbow reef on Key Largo. Great group. Lots of good diving.
That's a good idea. I've been talking to a family member about flying down there with them, would be fun to scuba dive while there.
Get yourself a really good mask and a decent snorkel first. Mask fit and comfort are very important and it's unlikely the rental equipment will work well for you. After that, I suggest you acquire a decent dive computer. Not only will you avoid struggling to learn a different computer's logic and hard to read scratched crystal, you also get to let the computer record all of your dives. I'd also seriously consider one that can interface with a laptop or tablet if your budget allows.

IMO, the next item to buy is a BC, preferably one with integral weights. You can also pick up several useful but fairly inexpensive items like a good knife, a compass, and a signalling device (whistle and or strobe).
Hopefully I'll be more knowledgeable about which brands are good over the next few days, but any specific brand you'd recommend as far as masks and dive computers go?

Several agencies and cards, all of which mean my opinion is worth about as much as it cost you to read it ;)
With the exception of the 'swim gear' (mask, snorkel, boots, gloves), I'd recommend doing a bunch of diving with rental/loaner gear before buying. If you can try different stuff you'll have a much better idea what you like (vest vs. backplate/wing, weight-integrated of belt, wrist-mount or console gauges, etc.). I bought stuff much like I trained in shortly after OW only to find I liked backplate and wing *much* better about 20 dives later. Consequently I have an old set of barely-used gear and a slightly newer set of well-worn gear. I got the simplest computer I could find (Suunto Zoop), and only use it for depth and time and a conservative deco model. Been through two of them and still have less invested than I would in a fancy computer I wouldn't trust anyway.

And lights. *Really good* lights. :D

Nauga,
simple and streamlined

Im a certified open water diver and Love it! The open water part isn't all that hard but can be cold depending on where you are doing it at. We did a discover scuba in Cozumel and then got certified in a lake in AR. what a let down the lake was...hahaha Do a night dive if you have the chance, very very cool!

I'm certified! done the caribbean, great barrier reef, and all over Florida where I live and the bahamas. The caribbean, specifically the BVI's have been my favorite diving. The keys have great spots, but with recent events not so sure how the conditions are down there right now. There are some good wrecks too around northern Florida. you are going to love it!!! At a minimum as some said get a good mask and snorkel. I also think good fins are important, I personally like the kind you wear with booties incase you do shore dives it makes it much better on your feet walking out to the location. And is also warmer in colder climates and times of year. I also recommend a pair of gloves and a good dive knife to strap somewhere, could save your life if you get tangled in something. BCD's and regulators are expensive but once you get really into it you'll know if you want to buy one or not and what kind to get, as for a tank, I've never owned a tank, the cost of owning a tank isn't really worth it with how much I dive compared to the cost of just renting a tank with air, since if you own your own tank you need to pay for some inspection and pay for the air anyway

Anyway enjoy the dive! welcome to the underwater world!

So out of curiosity - anyone cheat the tables by flying under 1000 msl on the same day of the dive? Wondered about that and island hopping.

So out of curiosity - anyone cheat the tables by flying under 1000 msl on the same day of the dive? Wondered about that and island hopping.

I never have, but I always thought to win the powerball, buy a grand caravan on floats and fly the caribbean and dive would be quite the life

The third is the really interesting discussions you can have with "non-DIR" divers. :eek:o_O

Nauga,
and his long hose

Love your insider tag line on that one! And your advice to Matthew in general: even if you start of with a standard BC (vest) - don’t buy equipment until you’ve experienced backplate & wing diving - even without going all-out DIR. Backplate & wing alone makes a vast difference in comfort & control.

But you really should go all-out DIR - don’t get me started on all the ways it’s better... :p

Deonb,
and that night when grabbing his buddy’s long hose saved his life.

I drove up into the mountains in Maui to do some skeet shooting after a dive. Right around 1000 feet.

Got PADI Cert'd several years ago. Other than swimming circles around friends/family while they got there certs, I haven't been since. Would like to get into it again but don't really have a dive partner to go with.

Never heard of DIR. Might have to look into it The only equipment I have is a set of fins.

Got my cert in Australia on the GBR in 2000.

The thread reminds me... I have a closet full of gear I need to get sold. Including some tech gear such as backplate and wings, dual tank manifold, pony bottle, some AL80’s, two dry suits, and more.

Im a certified open water diver and Love it! The open water part isn't all that hard but can be cold depending on where you are doing it at. We did a discover scuba in Cozumel and then got certified in a lake in AR. what a let down the lake was...hahaha Do a night dive if you have the chance, very very cool!
You remind me...

I did my course in a pool and then arranged the certification dives (except one) on a trip to the Caymans. 80 degree water, no wetsuit, 100’ visibility, colors galore. Like flying - Superman, not Sky King (and yes, Sea Hunt is why I dive).

The except one? Ft Wetherill, RI. A group of us with my pool instructor in full regalia, shoulder to shoulder in water so cloudy, you could not see past the guy next to you.

I have a rescue diver cert and at one time was a certified scientific diver. I have somewhere between 4 and 5 hundred hours underwater. Stopped counting a long time ago. I've spent most of my time diving doing photography in fairly shallow waters (less than 80 feet). I've been published in multiple magazines and one of my pictures was used on a stamp.

As for diving in the south east, I enjoy diving most anywhere along the east coast of Florida from Vero beach and south. Generally speaking the further south the better.... most dives north of Hollywood Florida are drift dives, which aren't as good for photography, but you can experience a lot with minimal effort. Frankly stuff goes by too fast for my liking on a drift dive, I like to inspect things closer.

Skill is worth 10 times any equipment you might buy. Learn to control your bouyancy and don't be sloppy about it. Staying calm and relaxed is key. Try not to flap your arms like a bird. It amuses people like me to watch, but it's a complete waste of energy and it scares away a lot of wildlife. Oh and the other typical mistake is "bicycling". Keep your legs straight, don't bend at the knee, or your just pushing water back and forth not going anywhere. Just like flying, be smooth not abrupt.

Last edited:
I dive, have since I was 16.

In college, needing money and being certified to dive, I signed up for a Duke research study where they were testing for the Navy on shortening up the time between flying and diving.

Took a chamber ride to some depth, for some time (forget details, but i think it was like 80-100ft for an hour), out of the chamber, waited I think 4 hours, then took a chamber ride to 8,000msl while they checked for bubbles where bubbles didn't belong inside my body.

Only bent one guy in our group. Oldest guy. N of 1 takeaway: don't sign up for research study unless you're young and dumb.

I'm PADI... For learning - Get really comfortable mask, snorkel, and fins. Rent the rest.

I did the pool for most of the training and the test dives in Monterey. Man was that water cold. All my diving since has been in warm water!

I bought a BC, Reg, exposure suit. Took them on two trips and got tired of lugging it all on commercial flights. Now I only take the mask and snorkel.

I guess I was lucky in my training. Didn't do a single dive in a pool. I did my training at Bird's Underwater in Crystal River, FL. They take you to a different spot for each dive.

The third is the really interesting discussions you can have with "non-DIR" divers. :eek:o_O

Nauga,
and his long hose
Lol
Exact same thing I did
Buy stupid BC etc.
Then found BP and wing.

Except I sold my BC gear...

Dan
And his long hose, can light, backup light, SP jet fins w/springs and halcyon harness webbing

Scuba dive? Sure. PADI here,,,advanced, search & recovery, underwater crime scene spec, etc,,,,
LE trained and did mostly body recovery/crime scene. Bloody drag,,

Recreation is great fun. Stay out of caves. Spend your money on a good quality mask/snorkel that is comfortable, boots and fins, and maybe a regulator when you decide what you like. They can breath quite differently. Rent the rest.

I learned 30 years and it's been a casual thing since, but going again with my son for a BSA trip next year.

As far as dive spots, one I haven't heard mentioned is NC, going out of Morehead City. There's a quite a few wrecks, including a german u-boat. And oddly, one of the most fun dives I've done is in the aquarium at Epcot in Disneyworld. You jump in the water and immediately see sharks and turtles, plus tons of different fish. And you get to swim over to the windows and interact with the people.

No recommendation on equipment, other than why do you need a dive computer? Tables have kept divers safe for years...

Did my PADI open water cert back in 1998 in Thailand. My next dives immediately after that were the Gulf of Aqaba and Key West. So when I got home and did a quarry in south side Virginia, it was a bit less exotic.

Diving is like flying in many ways, with an emphasis on safety, using your resources, knowing your environment, making small corrections, etc. It also demands a certain amount of practice to maintain proficiency. I never dove enough to every feel particularly comfortable. Coupled with the fact that my wife has little interest in the activity, I'm on a 10 year hiatus from it. I may do it again in 10 years when my little guy gets older. In the meantime, I make do with snorkeling, which is simplistic yet still fun.

I will recommend DIR also. I was already going that route with equipment when I found out about the philosophy behind it. Thankfully I bought the wing and back plate first.

I learned 30 years and it's been a casual thing since, but going again with my son for a BSA trip next year.

As far as dive spots, one I haven't heard mentioned is NC, going out of Morehead City. There's a quite a few wrecks, including a german u-boat. ...

Yep, I dove that sub years ago. First sub sunk by the USCG in WWII, I believe. Cool dive.

I'm a PADI certified rescue diver, and also IANTD certified for full cave. I dive a DIR rig - backplate, wings, breathe a long hose. Double 100s for cave, use an adapter to mount the plate to a single for open water rec dives.

After mask, fins, and snorkel, shop for a wetsuit unless you like wearing rentals that other divers have peed in. You need a good fit, and you can't count on that with random rentals. Next purchase should be a regulator.

Yep, I dove that sub years ago. First sub sunk by the USCG in WWII, I believe. Cool dive.

I'm a PADI certified rescue diver, and also IANTD certified for full cave. I dive a DIR rig - backplate, wings, breathe a long hose. Double 100s for cave, use an adapter to mount the plate to a single for open water rec dives.

After mask, fins, and snorkel, shop for a wetsuit unless you like wearing rentals that other divers have peed in. You need a good fit, and you can't count on that with random rentals. Next purchase should be a regulator.
I transferred to WA state shortly after my open water cert. One dive in the Puget Sound in that wetsuit and I was at the local dive shop ordering a new DUI drysuit. Had gotten the drysuit cert in Calif prior to moving. Little did I know I would want one that badly. Can't fit in the drysuit now and I have dived since 2004. I tried to get it on earlier this year. Too tight. Had to get it off. When I am more financially stable, plan to go diving again at the local quarries and maybe some day Lake Erie.

one of the most fun dives I've done is in the aquarium at Epcot in Disneyworld. You jump in the water and immediately see sharks and turtles, plus tons of different fish. And you get to swim over to the windows and interact with the people.

I was going to do that at the Dubai Mall, but they wouldn't allow me to bring a camera unless I specifically took a photo class with them. I decided to pass. Ended up going to the Mall of the Emirates and snow boarding instead.

Sounds like we need a "POA Fly in then Dive in" somewhere.

I vote Key Largo....or anywhere Fl. Since diving is really the only reason to visit that place...

PADI here but I haven't divven (dove? dived?) in about ten years, and that was after a very long hiatus. I got certified in the Caribbean when I lived there, but I had as much fun with a mask and snorkel as I did with dive gear.

I guess I am spoiled from the Caribbean, but when I took that dive ten years ago on the Great Barrier Reef, I was disappointed. Murky water, mostly dead, not a lot of activity on the reef.

certified so long ago that my first setup was Jacques Cousteau's second set of hand-me-downs ... :)

NASDS certified back in the '70s.

Last time I did anything beyond the once a year Caribbean vacation that included a day of diving was in the 90s in SoCal when abalone were still legal to harvest. Typical routine was a 2 tank dive on the outer kelp bed every weekend, and a shore dive from Sunset Cliffs once or twice a week after work.

Was in good shape then!

certified so long ago that my first setup was Jacques Cousteau's second set of hand-me-downs ... :)

NASDS certified back in the '70s.

Last time I did anything beyond the once a year Caribbean vacation that included a day of diving was in the 90s in SoCal when abalone were still legal to harvest. Typical routine was a 2 tank dive on the outer kelp bed every weekend, and a shore dive from Sunset Cliffs once or twice a week after work.

Was in good shape then!
You can still dive for abalone. I think the annual take is down to 12, though (from 24 a few years ago). I just don't care for all the gear needed for cold water diving.

You can still dive for abalone. I think the annual take is down to 12, though (from 24 a few years ago). I just don't care for all the gear needed for cold water diving.
I thought it was free diving only now for abalone? Thats why they loose a couple every season or 2.

...where with conventional you're vertically orientated and all the cool stuff to look at are below your feet.

In all my dive experience, I haven't noticed this with proper technique.

In all my dive experience, I haven't noticed this with proper technique.

It's pretty difficult for an average occasional recreational scuba diver to maintain horizontal trim when they have an air bladder below them.

It's not impossible of course but you need to maintain good neutral buoyancy, which mean at the beginning of a season people futz around with their BCD half the time or flap around with their arms in order to maintain trim. With a BP/wings, your BCD will never try and pull you upright - you just jump in and swim to where you want to go.

Simple illustration:

upload_2017-10-4_9-44-37.png
vs.
upload_2017-10-4_9-44-54.png

Last edited:

I thought it was free diving only now for abalone? Thats why they loose a couple every season or 2.

I believe there was a moratorium on abalone for a number of years in So Cal ...

Back