Anyone here from the south side of Chicago?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
How does this whole I-Pass toll road thing work on I-80?

Last week I drove east ( roughly from Joliet to Portage, I can find the actual toll booth numbers if necessary ), a few days later I drove west on the same stretch. Both times I tried getting into the cash lanes to pay the tolls, but in both directions the cash lanes were closed off with orange barrels and the only option was to drive through the photo lanes.

Do they mail invoices? It wasn't like I had any other choice, there were no other lanes to choose from.

I've been on the Denver toll road and they will mail an invoice, but this whole Chicago deal was new to me.

How does this whole I-Pass toll road thing work on I-80?

Last week I drove east ( roughly from Joliet to Portage, I can find the actual toll booth numbers if necessary ), a few days later I drove west on the same stretch. Both times I tried getting into the cash lanes to pay the tolls, but in both directions the cash lanes were closed off with orange barrels and the only option was to drive through the photo lanes.

Do they mail invoices? It wasn't like I had any other choice, there were no other lanes to choose from.

I've been on the Denver toll road and they will mail an invoice, but this whole Chicago deal was new to me.
https://www.illinoistollway.com/unpaid-tolls

Looks like I might have missed the 7-day window for the outbound trip, I was on the return trip less than 7 days ago. From what I can see that should only be about $1.50 each way since I was only on the last little stretch. But it's a racket - I did try the cash lanes but it looks like they are being removed, they were blocked off on both directions of that part of the highway. After dinner I might see if I can find my license plate image online and see what happens.

Better than Ireland. Around Dublin the only way to pay is online. Then when you put in your plate, it says due to privacy reasons it can't tell you how much you owe. So you just have to pick an amount and hope it right. Luckily for me it was just one toll point each time.

I only drive through there maybe a couple of times a year but I'd done it often enough to spring for an ipass. When the cash lanes were open it was always a dangerous game of aggressive lane changes, slow downs, and merges to do it. Not dealing with that alone was worth it, also as I said the tolls are lower if you use it. At one point I think it was half price, not sure if that's still the case.

I only drive through there maybe a couple of times a year but I'd done it often enough to spring for an ipass. When the cash lanes were open it was always a dangerous game of aggressive lane changes, slow downs, and merges to do it. Not dealing with that alone was worth it, also as I said the tolls are lower if you use it. At one point I think it was half price, not sure if that's still the case.
I didn’t have any choice since the cash lanes are closed. I might be going back that way again in the next couple years so I guess I need to figure this out. Looks like they will send an invoice after 14 days and add a service charge.

Just steer clear of "Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown" Cause he's the baddest man in the whole damned town!

As bad as Leroy was, I would NOT recommend messin' around with Jim any more than I'd recommend spittin' into the wind or tuggin' on Superman's cape... Unless of course your name is Slim....

As bad as Leroy was, I would NOT recommend messin' around with Jim any more than I'd recommend spittin' into the wind or tuggin' on Superman's cape... Unless of course your name is Slim....

All depends on whether you have a .32 gun in your pocket for fun.

I'd put it next to my 'jar just for wishes and dreams that never come true'.

..........stop the record........ back to aviation.

I dreamed I bought a Lance!

"Poor......... happy Jimmy...." ... very nice tune by Gino Vanelli in tribute to Groce.

There are no toll roads if you fly to see her...

If you missed your 7 day window there's a slight chance you'll get a pass. Someone told me you get 2 freebies and the 3rd they get you on all 3. After 7 days it's like 26 bucks or something crazy. Avoid the state at all costs.

Their website says all cash lanes are closed because of Covid. There’s no other option than the photo lanes. They do have a way to pay online inside a 7 day window by checking the toll booths where you got on and off, and putting in the time. This was a “vacation” and we were just passing through. Not knowing this was going to be the case I didn’t pay any attention other than thinking I would worry about it later. After 7 days you can put in your license plate and it should show up online and tell you how much you owe. After 14 days the invoice is mailed. I don’t think they have draconian fees or penalties if you go beyond that. I think it’s in the $5 range if you get a second notice.

By the time we got back, 5 days already elapsed from the first toll. Today is day 7, so I should be able to find my license plate tomorrow. When I get those toll booth numbers I can go ahead and pay the return trip since I drove through the same gates.

I ended up paying both tolls online. All $2.20 worth.

Wow. They have one job, take my money. And they can’t even do that very well.

I paid $0.70 toll online. I wonder how much they actually netted on that particular transaction. Now when I am forced to go there I just whiz through the I-PASS lanes and go online and pay when I get back.

I hate Illinois Nazis.

I paid $0.70 toll online. I wonder how much they actually netted on that particular transaction. Now when I am forced to go there I just whiz through the I-PASS lanes and go online and pay when I get back.

I hate Illinois Nazis.

Hah. Come visit us in New York. Be prepared to show "your papers" if you take a commercial flight in. I have a very close friend who defected from Czechoslovakia decades ago... he has quite a story. He's shaking his head these days and thinking about defecting again.

I hate Illinois Nazis.
That's a good point I'll try to remember next time (if there is a next time).

Blow through the I-Pass lane, then pay cash online for the same toll you'd have to pay at the cash lane anyway. I'm sure they'll catch on to that...maybe not.

Back