Anyone here flying into known icing?

I saw this in a hangar once.

View attachment 95695

Not uncommon to see that on unprotected surfaces like that light lens. Hawkers are TKS, so you need to make sure you have the TKS on before you enter the icing. But if you can get it up to 300 IAS ice won't stick. I flew one Hawker that didn't have a very good TKS pump, and got a pretty big accumulation on the wings and tail. Never noticed till we landed.

Not uncommon to see that on unprotected surfaces like that light lens. Hawkers are TKS, so you need to make sure you have the TKS on before you enter the icing. But if you can get it up to 300 IAS ice won't stick. I flew one Hawker that didn't have a very good TKS pump, and got a pretty big accumulation on the wings and tail. Never noticed till we landed.
I used to fly with some guys who also flew Sabreliners, most of which aren’t certified for known ice. They liked to throw that 300-knot number out there for why it wasn’t necessary. None of them could explain the technique for slowing from 300 knots when you break out at 200 feet on the ILS. ;)

I used to fly with some guys who also flew Sabreliners, most of which aren’t certified for known ice. They liked to throw that 300-knot number out there for why it wasn’t necessary. None of them could explain the technique for slowing from 300 knots when you break out at 200 feet on the ILS. ;)

It always blew my mind how many non-FIKI sabre's there were flying around.

Fun fact, the G450, and I assume G4, has no deice on the tail, at all. Fully approved for FIKI.

My understanding is that the Falcons have way more horizontal stab surface than they actually need, so losing a percentage of effectiveness isn’t a big deal like airplanes that have “just enough”. Presumably the same with the G’s.

Only one ice encounter ever.

Flying westbound at 6000 on a fairly clear winter's day, OAT about 37F, no icing or precip predictions whatsoever. Up ahead is a nice big puffy innocent looking cloud, just like several others I had passed through that morning. I enter the cloud, and the OAT drops 6 degrees. Then, the patter of rain against the windscreen. Crap. Look left at the wing, and it's accumulating ice. Crap. I had entered the cloud near it's left edge, so I banged an immediate 90 left turn while at the same time telling center I was turning left heading 180 due to encountering SLD icing. She gave me an earful for deviating from assigned heading, and I again told her that I was accumulating SLD icing and could say the E word if that made things easier. She replied with "fly heading 180, advise when clear of clouds."

Got clear of the cloud, got back on course, the ice sublimed/melted off after a few minutes.

And, I'm much more weary of clouds when the temps are near freezing even when icing isn't predicted.

You want power and FIKI? Get a Hercules. Their power and load capacity are incredible!

Last edited:
Most Boeing's don't have tail deice either. The DC-9's and their variants had a very short term deice capability. Crossing the marker, you hit the "tail deice" button to cycle it before landing. The B-747 (as i remember it) could only deice the leading edge prior to extending the LE flaps. I have seen ice forecast and not encountered. And ice not forecast, but enough to bring down many planes. SOOOOO encounter Ice, get out of as fast as you can. Usually doesn't take much to get out of it if you do it right away.

Back